hulika

Author Topic: The NEIL PEART/RUSH Appreciation Thread  (Read 26647 times)

Offline ronnie james jeremy

• Veteran Member
The NEIL PEART/RUSH Appreciation Thread
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »
here is my top 3 Neil Peart  drum performances/recordings

1. Subdivisions - odd time signatures and his trademark para-didles this track from Rush's "Signals" album earned him the monicker of "human drum machine"

2. The Big Money - sounds pretty straight forward until you find out out that in addition to the brutal poundings, Peart triggers various samples and sequences whaile playing his ass off.  From Rush's "Power Windows" Album.

3. The Rhythm Method - Peart takes his percussionist expertise and the avaialable MIDI technology at the time to another level. From "A Show of Hands" live recording.

The guy also writes the majority of the lyrics for Rush's songs. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:23:35 AM by drumster »

Offline cfbackbone™

Re: Neil Peart appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
o bakit wala yata reply dito? ako basta na-aapreciate ko si neil peart. ay di pala na-aapreciate...sinasamba pala. haha!  :evil: :evil: panget ng banat!  :roll:
*booze*

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 01:16:58 PM »
posted this to see if anybody here is into neil peart's drumming, turns out konti lang hahahah  :-D

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »
i like neil  :-D

but i hate his dvds hahaha, ikwento ba naman yung ginagawa nya sa isang solo for 2 hours  :-P nakakasawa hehehe

but still, 2112 is one my favorite albums

Offline woodstockintheattic

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 01:43:43 PM »
I love the part in one of his DVDs where he was elaborating on his "LSD Forever" performance when he was younger. How could his parents be so supportive of him with performance titles such as that?  :lol:
Go beyond what has already been written.

www.myspace.com/barbaromusika

Offline ibysdad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:40:59 PM »
I'm a die hard fan of Rush, their music and lyrics...Neil Peart is one of my drum heroes, not to mention the lyrics that he wrote...very mind boggling.

All Rush songs are my favorites.

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 02:56:52 PM »
i admit, mejo late ko nang nakilala rush, nagkataon may nabili akong modern drummer na si neil peart ang cover, launch ng album nilang vapor trails. ang ganda nung article sa kanya dun, how he managed not to lose his sanity after losing his wife and daughter, lupit ng resolve nya. after that nag start na ko mag research sa rush and nagustuhan ko albums nila. yung 2112 bangis ng fills. pati yung intro sa one little victory, galing. aside from being an amazing drummer, lupit din lyricist, bihirang combination.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »
I love the part in one of his DVDs where he was elaborating on his "LSD Forever" performance when he was younger. How could his parents be so supportive of him with performance titles such as that?  :lol:

si neil peart lang yata sa rush ang openly nag-admit sa pagiging recreational drug user in his youth check out the lyrics to "a passage to bangkok" :) he is still a great drummer nonetheless and one of the few modern drummers who mine the "swing" drumming of the big bands in the 20's and 30's napansin ko nasi majority ng percussive flavor nowadays are middle eastern (in terms of meter) and afro-cuban (dito rin naman na-derive ata yung swing feel).

Offline ibysdad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 07:04:10 PM »
I heard that Neil wrote a book, I'm wondering if it was released? I think it's about his motorcycle travels after his family had an accident...

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 03:32:13 AM »
Oh man, I've been looking at this thread since it was first posted.  I've been really busy these last few days, and it's only now that I'll be able to share some of my thoughts about Neil Peart, my greatest influence and no. 1 drumming hero of all time!  Actually, I have so much to say haha!

I discovered Neil Peart and Rush back in 1994, when I was still in high school.  The first Rush recording that I ever heard was their "A Show Of Hands" live album.  Since then, I got hooked.  And I was so into Neil Peart's intelligently-crafted and technically-challenging drum parts.

Neil Peart is not only a huge drumming and musical influence.  I also picked up a lot from his wisdom and philosophies in life.  The man is a genius.  I find great inspiration from his lyrical work (he writes the lyrics of most of Rush's songs).  He's a man who lives with such great passion; a man who doesn't live life as a spectator. 

"Just what is it about Peart that allowed him to accomplish so much?  Ask anyone who has spent time with the man.  They'll all give you the same answer.  Neil has a deep passion, a fire, for what he does (It's been a favorite topic in his lyric writing).  No great artist achieves without it." --- William F. Miller on Neil Peart, Modern Drummer, September 2002.

He did experience those tragedies back during the mid-90's (he lost his daughter and his wife, who both died within a span of one year).  Those are devastating losses, and it was a time of darkness and uncertainty for Neil Peart.  But I'm glad that he's able to return with Rush and playing drums again, after overcoming all that tragedy.

I still have more to say hahaha...  I'll post my favorite Neil Peart drum performances next time.  8-)

Neil Peart's Official Website --- http://www.neilpeart.net/

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 05:43:49 AM »
I heard that Neil wrote a book, I'm wondering if it was released? I think it's about his motorcycle travels after his family had an accident...

yup, Ghost Rider ang title.

Offline ibysdad

• Forum Fanatic
Re: The NEIL PEART Appreciation Thread
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 05:50:42 AM »
@jefisipbata

Thanks man, I will try to research on the GhostRider book, I think it will be a great read..

@drumster

me also sir, "Show of Hands" was my first Rush album, I was in high school back then in the early 90s

It served as a springboard for me to research on other earlier Rush albums...

Until now I'm still hooked  :-)

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 08:01:48 AM »
eto pala full title

Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road. la pa ko makita sa torrent e.

Offline ibysdad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »
eto pala full title

Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road. la pa ko makita sa torrent e.

ah ok bro thanks. nice book title. will try to find one, sana meron sa National Book Store or Power Books( yea right... :-D)..

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 08:34:04 AM »
ah ok bro thanks. nice book title. will try to find one, sana meron sa National Book Store or Power Books( yea right... :-D)..

gudluk, dati pa ko naghahanap ng hardcopy pero wala e. 3 yrs ago un. hehehhe. pero sana meron na ngayon. post ka pag meron at nang makabili din..

Offline ibysdad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 08:46:10 AM »
gudluk, dati pa ko naghahanap ng hardcopy pero wala e. 3 yrs ago un. hehehhe. pero sana meron na ngayon. post ka pag meron at nang makabili din..

yup sure thing bro!

all rush songs are are my favorites, but right now I love to listen other than the more popular songs like Tom Sawyer, Freewill, Red Barchetta, Closer to the Heart are the more intriguing ones like Jacob's Ladder, Beneath, Between and Behind and the 80's era I think, Camera Eye and the Test for Echo album..

I love Neil Peart's drumming because aside from complex, it's natural...more like, it's a part of the song, all aspects of the rhythmic structure contributes to the songs.

I dig this thread, haven't seen anything like this at Guitar Central  :-D Kokonti lang siguro naka rinig or fans of Alex Lifeson, haven't checked bassplace though, Geddy Lee thread or something..Anyway, Long Live Rush!!!  :-D

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 08:55:03 AM »
yup sure thing bro!

all rush songs are are my favorites, but right now I love to listen other than the more popular songs like Tom Sawyer, Freewill, Red Barchetta, Closer to the Heart are the more intriguing ones like Jacob's Ladder, Beneath, Between and Behind and the 80's era I think, Camera Eye and the Test for Echo album..

I love Neil Peart's drumming because aside from complex, it's natural...more like, it's a part of the song, all aspects of the rhythmic structure contributes to the songs.

I dig this thread, haven't seen anything like this at Guitar Central  :-D Kokonti lang siguro naka rinig or fans of Alex Lifeson, haven't checked bassplace though, Geddy Lee thread or something..Anyway, Long Live Rush!!!  :-D

nice, dami ko natutunan dito, noob lng talaga ko pagdating sa rush e. wala ko masyado alam. ung 2112 nalaman ko lang sa interview nung drummer ng killswitch engage, fave daw nya mga tom fills dun. hirap din kase makahanap ng music nila dati, halos lahat ng rush songs ko, extracted lang sa mga videos nila sa youtube e, tska download sa torrent. idol din si geddy lee, hirap nung ginagawa nya, although di ko pa masyado trip boses nya, namulat kase ko sa growl e.hehe..

Offline ibysdad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 09:13:23 AM »
nice, dami ko natutunan dito, noob lng talaga ko pagdating sa rush e. wala ko masyado alam. ung 2112 nalaman ko lang sa interview nung drummer ng killswitch engage, fave daw nya mga tom fills dun. hirap din kase makahanap ng music nila dati, halos lahat ng rush songs ko, extracted lang sa mga videos nila sa youtube e, tska download sa torrent. idol din si geddy lee, hirap nung ginagawa nya, although di ko pa masyado trip boses nya, namulat kase ko sa growl e.hehe..

yup understandable yan bro, Rush was on the limelight  70s era along with other progressive rock and rock bands like Kansas, Yes, Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Whitesnake ang tataas ng mga boses nila so ngayon nag evolve ang na vocal styles until ngayon iba na naman like the growls and it keeps on evolving....

anyway man, I hope we will have the opportunity to see Neil Peart and Rush here in the Philippines in the future...

or kahit man lang clinic ni Neil Peart, aatend talaga ako  :-D

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 09:33:42 AM »
drum clinic? oo nga noh, sabian cymbals nya dibal sana madala ng yupangco dito yan... lupit nun...

OT: astig ang yes, fan ako ni chris squire

Offline ibysdad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
grabe pala no, nung na accident yung family ni Neil, I read in Guitar Player na ilang years din sila nag hiatus...that's why I'm interested in his book, gusto kong mabasa yung  soul searching nya, how he coped up and eventually got back on stage..

not only is he a great drummer, but there are lots to learn about life from this drum great, well, as well as the other rock icons too.

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 09:55:47 AM »
yup, sobrang tragic. actually yung anak nya ang naaksidente, then after 10 months namatay wife nya due to cancer. kakapraning talaga yun. after that, nawala sya sa band and yun, bumili sya ng BMW na bike, tpos nag road trip. dun nya nagawa yung book. galing nga e, kung yung iba yun, nag suicide na. grabe nga yung interview nya sa modern drummer, kahit di ko pa kilala rush nun, naging instant fan ako ni neil peart.

Offline ibysdad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
yup, sobrang tragic. actually yung anak nya ang naaksidente, then after 10 months namatay wife nya due to cancer. kakapraning talaga yun. after that, nawala sya sa band and yun, bumili sya ng BMW na bike, tpos nag road trip. dun nya nagawa yung book. galing nga e, kung yung iba yun, nag suicide na. grabe nga yung interview nya sa modern drummer, kahit di ko pa kilala rush nun, naging instant fan ako ni neil peart.

di ko ma imagine pag nangyari sa akin yun..it's a good thing naiintindihan din ng other members until na naka recover si Neil..dito mo makita na di lang sila bandmates pero family na rin..
Kaya pala merong song sa Vapor Trails na "Ghostrider" dun nanggaling sa experience ni Peart....
Speaking of books, Peart is also a big fan of Ayn Rand, na scan ko books niya minsan Rush na rush ang dating.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »
dami ko rin natutunan sa rush syempre musically, yng interplay nilang tatlo at yung pag appreciate sa odd meters-- naging acquired taste para sa akin dahil predominantly feel player ako, nakakapag construct ang rush ng mga kanta at passages na ginagamit ang mga odd meters pero di mo napapansin dahil sobrang astig ng areglo like subdivisions at free will.

pati yng objectivist philiosophy ni rand na curious din ako, so umiskor ako ng fountain head at anthem at medyo nagkaroon ako ng perspective sa lyrical approach ni neil peart at least dun sa mga earlier rush songs tuald ng anthem at 2112 suite.  medyo appealing nga ang objectivist/libertarian world view kung ang babanda ka or involved ka sa arts, dahil pinapahalagahan nito ang individualism at personal freedom kesa sa mga institutions at regimented ways and means of  making a living at least yun yung pagkakaintindi ko.

cguro kung naging fan ako ng motley crue dahil sa masyado akong naive nung kabataan ko, magiging curious ako kung paano gumawa ng cocain-heroin cocktail or speedball hehehe     :evil:

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 06:01:25 AM »
It would be a dream come true for me to see Neil Peart in person, performing live with Rush.  I wish for that to happen someday, while Rush is still active, and still alive and rocking.  Neil Peart rarely does drum clinics.  He's got this reputation for being a very private person.  After the family tragedy he experienced, Peart doesn't prefer doing interviews, especially when it involves questions about the tragedy and his personal life.  Which is why during Rush presscons, it's Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson who face the media.

Neil Peart's works with Rush are must-hears for every aspiring drummer.  Here's a list of some of my favorite Neil Peart drumming performances with Rush, and some of my personal thoughts.

Song (Album, Year)

Limelight (Moving Pictures, 1981) - This is probably my most favorite Rush song.  Every part of this song is so well-crafted.  Time signature shifts from 4 to7 to 6 to 3 and so on, yet Neil's drum parts are smoothly executed.  This song is so fun to play.

Bravado (Roll The Bones, 1991) - Neil played a 16th-note groove in this song, which is reminiscent of U2's classic 16-beat grooves.  I love how the drum parts build up as the song progresses.  This track also reflects Neil's muscular drumming style.

The Big Money (Power Windows, 1985) - This is the very first Rush song I ever heard, and I first heard it on their 1988 live album A Show Of Hands.  This song is a perfect example of how Neil utilized his huge drumkit, with all the bells and whistles (cowbells, electronic drums, and plenty of toms).  His Carl Palmer-inspired snare drum rolls at the song's outro is classic stuff.

Subdivisions (Signals, 1982) - I also first heard this on the A Show Of Hands live album, and this is one of the first Rush songs I attempted to play along with.  Another technically powerful drum performance, with lots of interesting syncopated drum patterns played over the odd-time verses.

Prime Mover (Hold Your Fire, 1987) - I just love this song.  Every part was a technical piece, yet it fits the song perfectly.  How I wished I was the one who thought of these drum parts haha!

Lock And Key (Hold Your Fire, 1987) - This is a fine example of Neil Peart's power drumming.  Check out the drum solo near the end of the song.

Tai Shan (Hold Your Fire, 1987) - This is a fine example of Neil's creative use of electronic drums and China cymbals.

The Color Of Right (Test For Echo, 1996) - This is a simple song based on Neil Peart's standards.  But it just feels so right, it's inspiring, and this is another fun song to play.

YYZ (Moving Pictures, 1981) - I often played this classic Rush instrumental with my old prog-rock band back in college, and it was always a challenge to nail down Neil's power grooves and extended drum fills.  Up until now, this song makes me sweat so much.

Tom Sawyer (Moving Pictures, 1981) - This is Rush's most popular song, and this is Neil Peart's signature song.  He did it all here!

That's all for now.  More from me next time...  8-)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:05:20 AM by drumster »

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 06:42:40 AM »
hands down to Mr. Neil Peart and the rest of the guys..

it's "a show of hands" & "presto" for me :wink: