hulika

Author Topic: a musical for blues dudes...  (Read 3069 times)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
a musical for blues dudes...
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:24:29 PM »
y'all hear about The Color Purple on Broadway?

if you havent read The Color Purple, its by Alice Walker and its about Celie, an African-American who grew up pre WWII. the musical adaptation opened last December and should be littered with blues numbers and gospel shouts as most of the main characters are african-americans and one of them is a jook joint entertainer. i heard the cast sing on oprah kanina.

loved the book. havent seen the movie which whoopie starred in and included oprah. i hope the musical makes its way over and i hope they do it rent-style with a live band providing the musical backdrop.

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 12:23:32 AM »
i saw the movie. unforgettable film directed by Spielberg with surprisingly great acting by oprah (she won an oscar for her performance there). looking back, it does provide an awesome backdrop for the evolution of blues music, reminiscent of how the evolution of blues was translated in the first few scenes of the tribute "Lightning in a Bottle."

bringing the musical here will be a long shot, only because i think not too many pinoys dig african-american culture as much as blues aficionados do. but who knows? it's still a brilliant concept. ;)
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 04:09:59 PM »
hmm.... di ba may movie na nung 70s na The Color Purple also based on the book?  i would think remake na itong kay Spielberg.  i've heard good things about it too, tho.

not a musical but i thought "O Brother Where Art Thou" w/ George Clooney et al was hysterically funny!  so many subtle but very accurate references to blues/Jim Crow slave culture as well as red neck Americana. unlike "Crossroads" this one represented the person who was known to have really made a pact w/ the devil, Tommy Johnson.  music featured blues as well as spirituals, gospel, Appalachian mountain music, etc...  

we should do a blues film festival. :-)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 11:16:24 PM »
Quote from: dopedeeva
bringing the musical here will be a long shot, only because i think not too many pinoys dig african-american culture as much as blues aficionados do. but who knows? it's still a brilliant concept. ;)

sabagay... plus i think the book has so much african-american local color that the only way to properly stage the musical it would be with african-american actors.

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 02:27:37 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim
not a musical but i thought "O Brother Where Art Thou" w/ George Clooney et al was hysterically funny!  

man, i have the DVD...kwela tong movie na to...inspired by Odyssey, at super riot ng Soggy Bottom Boys (tama ba?) dun sa radio station scene! must-see!!!

i agree, blues film festival tapos kasama dapat yung mga biopic on stellar blues icons like ray charles tsaka yung Scorsese-directed na blues documentary na hindi ko pa napapanood (may medyo related na thread about this sa philmusic Movies forum ;))
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline hordex

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 10:32:23 PM »
Quote from: dopedeeva
Quote from: deltaslim
not a musical but i thought "O Brother Where Art Thou" w/ George Clooney et al was hysterically funny!  

man, i have the DVD...kwela tong movie na to...inspired by Odyssey, at super riot ng Soggy Bottom Boys (tama ba?) dun sa radio station scene! must-see!!!

i agree, blues film festival tapos kasama dapat yung mga biopic on stellar blues icons like ray charles tsaka yung Scorsese-directed na blues documentary na hindi ko pa napapanood (may medyo related na thread about this sa philmusic Movies forum ;))

pinalabas na rin ito sa Cinemax dati....kwela!
bro saan mo nabili yung dvd? tnx

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 12:50:30 AM »
talaga? dapat maulit yun sa cable...

sa HMV Hong Kong, sale. malamang nga di bumenta sa intsik...mga HK$ 50 lang :)