hulika

Author Topic: "IT SUCKS" vs. "I DON'T LIKE IT"  (Read 7619 times)

jakobspiral

Re: "IT SUCKS" vs. "I DON'T LIKE IT"
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 10:21:49 AM »
Hmm... You're right about the audience not knowing whether it is an opinion or if it's factual sometimes, therefore the need for verbal cues. (Edit, add: In that case, I guess the verbal cues are needed.)

I was saying that if it is an opinion, it's a waste of mental energy having to be polite when we can just understand that the person is voicing his/her opinion, like we do with our close friends. I confess that I find it way easier to talk to close friends because we don't need verbal cues. We respect each other's opinions, and we already know whether it is an opinion or if it's factual. No need for verbal cues.

I wish the whole world were more trusting, more understanding or discerning about things being opinions or facts, or telepathic (but that's a dream). But until then, I guess finding better ways of stating one's opinion is really necessary, to avoid fights among people who are just too sensitive.

For me, I've never felt that my opinions were being attacked whenever someone else voices their opinion without the verbal cues. My opinion is my own and only I can change it or not. So, no need to get aggravated.

I just wish everyone felt the same. I'm tired of verbal cues.

Sigh...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 10:26:46 AM by jakobspiral »

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 10:32:11 AM »
sometimes an opinion is stated so matter-of-factly that we take it as a factual statement when it's not.

tama ka in a way.  we have to tell ourselves sometimes, "that's just ONE opinion".  but then again of course an opinion stated so strongly is bound to incite either affirmation or equally strong opposition.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 10:39:32 AM »
I remember one time, a very gorgeous student approached me and asked "sir, is it possible to fail your subject ? ".

I said "I give you all the chances to pass my course, but it is still possible to fail if you truly, royally, SUCK.

She said "Sir....I suck"

WHOAh!

Good for you ! See you next sem !

Ay...OT pala hahaha.

Anong college yan?  MMA ba? hwehehe...

Baka lumuhod yan pag di mo pinasa...

jakobspiral

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »
sometimes an opinion is stated so matter-of-factly that we take it as a factual statement when it's not.

tama ka in a way.  we have to tell ourselves sometimes, "that's just ONE opinion".  but then again of course an opinion stated so strongly is bound to incite either affirmation or equally strong opposition.

Whenever someone states an opinion, I research about it first to find out if it's factual or not. It'll only take a minute since I'm on the internet. I love the internet for that. :-D

I'm trying to let go of my being defensive, so that no matter how strongly an opinion is stated, I won't end up getting defensive.

It also helps to be more forgiving and understanding. Like, just trying to find out what the person is trying to say instead of concentrating on how s/he said it is a big time & energy saver. Concentrating on how s/he said it would only lead to fights.

One thing I found way useful, is to go directly to explaining why the solution works. Like, instead of saying, "I think your volume is too loud." I just say, "The vocalist will have an easier time to sing if you lower your volume level." Really saves time in doing these things. Lalo na pag nagmamadali during soundcheck. :-)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 10:44:32 AM »
FACT:  "This guitar tends to have too much low-end response and somewhat hazy treble response, and the sustain lasts just a few seconds after bending a note.  The action is 4/16" on the 12th fret, and has a problem with intonation past the 15th fret.  " 

OPINION:  "This guitar sucks."

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »
"fact" sounds better though.  that whole statement could stand on its own even witbout the "opinion".  if i had to say it straight to the guitar owner's face, id simply do without the "sucks" part.  that's just me.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »

Quote from: bluenote
stupid question...

Why? :wink:

[/quote]

It sucks and I dont like it...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline guitarizta11

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 01:23:43 PM »
It's highly subjective, man. As for me, I'll say that a piece of equipment sucks when, according to my ears, I don't find it useable and it cannot be used by other people to create decent sounds. I'll say that I don't like it if it generally sounds good but doesn't perfectly fit my requirements.

+1

"IT SUCKS" - it is enough to throw it in your trash can.

"I DON'T LIKE IT" - just keep it in your cabinet and never bother to open it again.
born to rock!!.. \m/

jakobspiral

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 02:38:30 PM »

Stupid answer. I will now ignore you.

Quote from: starfugger
"fact" sounds better though.  that whole statement could stand on its own even without the "opinion".  if i had to say it straight to the guitar owner's face, id simply do without the "sucks" part.  that's just me.

Hmm... now the question is how to say it in such a way that it'll convince the guitarist that it's a fact. Like, I encountered a lead guitarist who retorted, "My treble's too loud? Oh yeah? Says who?"... :-|

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 03:02:50 PM »

Stupid answer. I will now ignore you.

Well stupid questions deserve stupid answers... Kita mo sinagot mo din yun tanung mo why get angry it is only based on an opinion...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:13:43 PM by bluenote »

jakobspiral

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 05:42:06 PM »
bluenote,

You idiot. That was a rhetorical question, it doesn't have an answer.

The number of posts I see from people like you make me want to log on to this forum less.

On the other hand, skunk, kitc's & oasgomez's reviews are quite helpful... unlike yours. If it weren't for people like them, I'd be logging on way less.

In the words of titser_marco...

you're a "boy".

Do us all a favor and say something sensible the next time you post.

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 05:54:55 PM »
bluenote,

The number of posts I see from people like you make me want to log on to this forum less.

On the other hand, skunk, kitc's & oasgomez's reviews are quite helpful... unlike yours. If it weren't for people like them, I'd be logging on way less.

you're a "boy".

Easy lang mga bro  :-D

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 06:04:47 PM »
Again, as  I always mention: wala naman talagang nag-aaway - may tao lang na defensive.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline ice.lacsina

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 06:07:48 PM »
okay, back to the topic? :roll:

"IT SUCKS" = When you expect something to be great but turns out to be ugly when tested. Like guitar / gears with high ratings on forums but not on your ears.  :-D Me thinks this could be a permanent marker for something that you would never want again.

"I DONT LIKE IT" = This can be based on the taste, so this can be temporary. Pwede kasi 'tong "I don't like it NOW", maybe because you don't need or want it yet. But there can be a possibility that it will change.

"I WANT IT" = BAMF's Scalarizer!  :-D

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »
It sucks is an opinion too. I mean, some people say that the marshall MG sucks, but some love it. Some people, say "ibanez sucks" but why do so many people use them and LOVE THEM??? If you don't like it, you'll probably say you dont like it because it sucks 90% of the time. Pero tone is in the listener's ears, you may find something good but someone else may say it sucks.

Like an experience i had yesterday, i was with a violinist friend of mine who likes pop punk and emo. Our other friend was playing through a zoom G2 with the gain maxed on the dirtiest distortion on the thing. I was like "duuude that tone man! It sucks! It's so fizzy and overprocessed!". But my violinist friend was like "ang ganda kaya! ANG KAPAL ng distortion! Ang lupet! It's so distorted!" My first impulse was to go "bah! what do you know about guitar tone! All you listen to is damn pop punk and emo where crying like a girl is more important! The guitar players don't know what they hell they're doing! (no offense po sa mga may gusto nito, opinion ko lang  :-D)" But i realized "hey, it makes SOMEONE happy. and what is the point of music but to make people happy?" Like a marshall JCM2000 sounds great but doesn't give me a hard on. A Mesa is more of my type. That doesn't mean that the JCM is bad, just means that it's not the sound i'm looking for. But it does make other people happy and if music makes some people happy, it's serving its purpose, wala ka nang masasabi  :-D

(on pop punk and emo. Personally i really don't like it. Pero i tolerate it and respect it pa rin. Why? Because lots of people like it. And it sells records. They must be doing SOMETHING right.   :-D)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 06:28:04 PM by Lahed92801 »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 08:28:53 PM »
wow, ang daming "internet siga" dito ah. :-D   anyway, here's my take...

"i don't like it" = it's got a unique/interesting sound, but it aint' for me (but may be for others).
"it sucks" = i can't get it to sound or play decent no matter how i try. i don't imagine others being able to do so either.

Offline oist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 08:44:37 PM »
it sucks..- <eqpt> meron ako nyan dati <playing style> ganyan ako noon.. hehe..

i don't like it...- <eqpt> ala akong pambili nyan, <playing style> di ko kaya yan..
 :-D :-D

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 08:47:11 PM »
it sucks..- <eqpt> meron ako nyan dati <playing style> ganyan ako noon.. hehe..

i don't like it...- <eqpt> ala akong pambili nyan, <playing style> di ko kaya yan..
 :-D :-D

yun nga kaso minsan hahaha

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 08:50:44 PM »
hehehehe oo nga parang ang daming siga sa forum =) kakatakot naman  :-D

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 09:17:35 PM »
"i don't like it" = it's got a unique/interesting sound, but it aint' for me (but may be for others).
"it sucks" = i can't get it to sound or play decent no matter how i try. i don't imagine others being able to do so either.

Best explanation I've read so far

Offline paquitz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 09:47:53 PM »

Best explanation I've read so far

+1000

Kakatakot naman ngayon dito chief.  Ang alam ko ang forum ginagamit for opinions and looking for facts. So walang mali in terms of opinion. Because if we want facts we can grab a book or do a research on the net and not interact with other people. If that will suit your needs. Ewan ang gulo ng isip ko. Mas gusto ko " i don't like it " kasi hindi makaka offend ng ibang taong may gusto. IMO

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 02:47:54 AM »
bluenote,

you're a "boy".

Ok so maybe I was in a bad mood yesterday and should not have said that your question was stupid for that I apologize...

Now Mister Big man and wise jakobspiral you have to understand a few things...

First I did not try to answer your rhetorical question. It was ubersam that did. So should we start calling him an idiot also?

I was simply commenting on what I thought of the question's quality... Everything after that was just playfull banter...

With regards to titsermarco maybe you oughta read that thread again and see that what I did to you was not entirely different from what

he did to me.

I find it amusing that you didnt appreciate some of the reviews that we did with the local pedals particularly BAMFx and Kalikot audio

pedals when these pedals are actually more attainable for most working musicians...

Maybe wala ngang kwenta yung mga reviews namin for you I mean what do I know Im only a "boy" who has been a pro musician for at

least 13 years now...

Any way I did not mean to offend its just that I have my good days and bad days also...

Offline balakubak33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 03:39:43 AM »
bluenote,

you're a "boy".

Ok so maybe I was in a bad mood yesterday and should not have said that your question was stupid for that I apologize...

Now Mister Big man and wise jakobspiral you have to understand a few things...

First I did not try to answer your rhetorical question. It was ubersam that did. So should we start calling him an idiot also?

I was simply commenting on what I thought of the question's quality... Everything after that was just playfull banter...

With regards to titsermarco maybe you oughta read that thread again and see that what I did to you was not entirely different from what

he did to me.

I find it amusing that you didnt appreciate some of the reviews that we did with the local pedals particularly BAMFx and Kalikot audio

pedals when these pedals are actually more attainable for most working musicians...

Maybe wala ngang kwenta yung mga reviews namin for you I mean what do I know Im only a "boy" who has been a pro musician for at

least 13 years now...

Any way I did not mean to offend its just that I have my good days and bad days also...

easy lang janboy.. bata yan.. hahaha wala pang balbas kita nman eh.. hahahah

dun sa kabila kanina si bluescon vs. nicosci hhahahahaha!!  :lol:
Stay away from the GAS gods...

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2007, 03:49:15 AM »
This thread sucks.....i dont like it at all :-D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2007, 06:40:18 AM »
NEWSFLASH: BOTH MEAN THE SAME THING.