hulika

Author Topic: Rico Blanco's New Album - Your Universe  (Read 20734 times)

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
Rico Blanco's New Album - Your Universe
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:15:39 AM »
Kaka-release lang sabi dun sa multiply site niya. 
http://amillionflames.multiply.com/journal/item/23/your_universe_album_out_today

sa mga meron na, review naman  :-)

mamaya bili ako ng album :-)

*Edit*
Kakabili ko lang ng album. haha. pakinggan ko muna

Rico Blanco - Your Universe
1. Say Forever
2. Your Universe
3. Yugto
4. Ayuz
5. Helpless
6. Start Again
7. Outta This
8. Para Hindi Ka Mawala
9. Antukin
10. Metropolis

Ito mga yung mga kasama niya sa album
Bass:
Buddy Zabala (Say Forever)
Nathan Azarcon (Your Universe)
Louie Talan (Yugto)
Rommel Dela Cruz (Yugto)

Drums:
Paolo Santiago (Say Forever)
Wendell Garcia(Your Universe)
Otep Conception (Yugto)
Boyet Aquino (Yugto)
Jun Jun Regalado (Ayuz, Helpless, Start Again)

Guitars:
Nick Azarcon (Ayuz)
tapos puro si Rico Blanco na

tapos sa horn sections eh yung mga taga-Radioactive Sago Project basta marami. haha  :-)

yung ibang tracks eh siya na ang nag-drums, bass, synths, piano, etc...

haha! Spoiler...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:36:39 PM by rennell »

Offline chip

Re: Rico Blanco's New Album - Your Universe
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 09:36:20 AM »
kaingit ka naman brader :cry:

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »
Si Otep pala sa yugto
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline redentortagalog

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:48:07 PM »
Review naman jan...

Offline MarkRelos

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 04:37:56 AM »
Its pretty neat.
At sa pag tulog ng gabi maririnig ang dasal na ang kabataan uhaw sa tunay na pag mamahal " -

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 11:26:43 PM »
listening to Your Universe now...

so far.... i likey!  :-)

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 12:14:12 AM »
If any you guys here think that the best Rivermaya album ever is "It's Not Easy Being Green"... this album will NOT disappoint! This is Rico at his absolute best!

What a great album... can't wait to get my own copy and hear the new songs live.

Thank you Rico for creating another soundtrack sa aking buhay. Bow pare. Galing.

Offline James_Animagi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 01:53:14 AM »
ganda ng album bili na kayo sulit ung 290 php niyo

Offline shaunalcedo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 08:35:04 PM »
rico is my fav music artist
i followed him during his rivermaya days. when he left. rivermaya was never the same. he was the heard of the band.

i am so happy he is back in the music industry
i play his song so loud around melbourne haha..
proud of pinoy rock. proud of  you rico.

keep it up mate
i cant wait for amazon.com to have his album so i can buy the original..

Offline JQuiz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 03:01:39 AM »
Blanco's Back (Your Universe - Rico Blanco) Originally posted at www.cheezepaper.blogspot.com

Yugto rebooted Rico's music career with a bang. Did the rest of the Your Universe playlist follow suit? Simply, no. But did it come as a whimper? Hardly. After all, setting a high standard is not a bad thing in itself. After all, you can't blame Rico for being (too) excited and picking the best song to (pre)release. After all, it's not like other songs from Your Universe is not good. After all, after listening to the album 56 times, you realize this was the real Rico Blanco singing to you--- personal and impersonal at the same time.

After all, this could be the very reason why he chose to go solo: produce something that you can call you. Selfishly personal and openly impersonal--- Sure, that sounds in every possible way a negative line of thinking but not to Rico and his emotions. It might have detached Blanco from a lot of expectations, but definitely it re-established himself as the primary mover of his craft--- not other's wants but what he wants to do, what he wants to say and how he wants to do and say it... which is what music, expression and art should be all about.

Sure, it might have been too much of Blanco, his effective mushiness and some. But what really did you expect from a solo album from an artist who once said that "we play what we want to play, kahit na baduy." (circa 90's)... what more do you really want and expect? As always with Rico, he gives you the bad and the good and keeps you asking for more.

Just like the Yugto review where i dissected it piece by piece, here are some thoughts, song by song on Your Universe. (In quote below each are the best lines from the song)

SAY FOREVER - 80's feel. Rico starts off with the throaty vocals before the interestingly 80s vocal attack on the chorus. Progressive bass-line courtesy of E'heads' Buddy Zabala. Synths completes the 80's feel. i used 80's four times in this paragraph. Expect just that. (Reminds me as well of Maya's Golden Boy version)

I'm at the central station Without a destination baby its true, its true.

YOUR UNIVERSE - Just the other night on my way home the song was played over radio. After the song, the (female) DJ had this to say: "Rico made that song for me. Period." Just about sums it up. The song (particularly the lyrics, as expected) captures your want to feel anything that resembles love. The lover or the loved, it's all the same to you. So effective, it doesn't care if you have no one to dedicate the song to. Ok, that sounds as mushy as Rico. i will stop now. (Replaces Atomic Bomb's If, as the number one 'maya love song of all time in my list. Also, counter part of Rico's pain song called Shattered Like from the It's Not Easy Being Green--- meaning you can feel Rico's pain from the former and you can feel his pleasure from this thing called love in this song)

You can thank your stars all you want but I'll always be the lucky one

AYUZ - Nerbyoso (Trip) crossed with a toned down Gising Na (Tuloy ang Ligaya) during the chorus. Horns reminds you of a Blur song.

At sa mali mo'y may liquid paper
    Sa lovelife mong panis, Ctrl-alt-delete

HELPLESS - By the 4th and 5th songs (this one and the next) of the album you wonder if Rico should offer any angst at all (Credit a poster from pinoyexchange.com named ThCrrspndnt who said: "Apparently, the word "angst" isn't part of Rico Blanco's vocabulary. Not a single downer on the former Rivermaya mouthpiece's solo debut effort, "Your Universe." Blanco's offerings are full of emotion yet he's not one to be emo or whatever kids these days call it.") Couldn't have said it better. By the way, this is what you get as well for leaving Rico with all the instruments (except for the drums)

I pour some coffee And slowly swirl in mem'ries Of the night we watched the stars fade into space

START AGAIN - Same same as above. Helpless and Start Again remind me of Never Been Better (It's Not Easy Being Green) without the angst plus same acoustic feel and more synths..

If its okay I'd like
    A minute to speak with you

OUTTA THIS - Rico and synths once again. Remember Strontium 90 in It's Not Easy Being Green? Well, it's sort of, kind of like that with lyrics and a more conceivable bass line and guitar rifts plus of course the playful synths.

I try my best to kill The emptiness until My heart stops beatin But I'm not breathin

PARA HINDI KA MAWALA - Intentionally Taglish? Probably the mushiest of the bunch. Only song in the album that uses just a single instrument (acoustic guitar)...

Pag diniscuss ko pa
    Ma wi-weird-an ka lang
    Pag nag-emote ako
    Lalo kang tatabang

Antukin - Your Universe's Tagalog counterpart. Confirmation that Rico indeed is in deep trenches of that emotion which is true across this album. You (almost) wish your also in those deep trenches as well. That catchy guitar rift is still at the back of the mind--- where did it come from?! So familiar yet we can't point out the influence. Warning: Almost the entire song copy+pasted next because, after all, this is Blanco we are talking about. Also take note of the extro vocals; "Gumawa na lang tayo ng paraan (Then, paraan is slowly faded out to make way for the backing vocals: "Baby...")

Sorry wala ka nang magagawa/Mahalin mo nalang ako/Ng sobra sobra
    Para patas naman tayo/Diba?

Sasalubungin natin ang kinabukasan/Ng walang takot at walang pangamba
    Tadhana'y merong tip na makapangyarihan/

Pinaiyak ka ng manghuhula/Hindi na raw tayo magkasamang tatanda/
    Buti nalang/Merong langit na nagtatanggol sa/Pag ibig na pursigido't matyaga

Long as we stand as one/Ano man ang ating makabangga/Nothing will ever break us
    Wala talaga/As in wala

Hahalikan nalang natin ang kinabukasan/Ng buong loob at yayakapin pa
    Tadhana'y medyo overrated kung minsan/

Gumawa nalang tayo ng paraan
    Gumawa nalang tayo ng... (Baby)
    Gumawa nalang tayo ng paraan

Metropolis - Aptly the last song as Rico bades goodbye and good night. At least for now of course.

Sweet, sweet dreams Sleep tight, good night

So there goes Rico's universe. The good is that is he's back making music--- that is neither this generation's privilege nor it's gift, but just some kind of luck that we got he got to spend making his music in this era. The bad is that he pulled some punches--- you can credit/blame that in his hope to plainly express himself. You can doubt the end result, but you can never doubt the emotions involved.

Offline chim

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 10:32:47 PM »
Nice album ! swabe lang..
Dont count me out.....

Offline smutdrummer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 06:44:51 AM »
do you think Rivermaya should continue the name "Rivermaya"?

Offline salspa

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
rico is a great song writer.

lumiyab ka ah ha ha!  :lol:

Offline marko21

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 09:32:12 PM »
Akala ko si Robert dela Cruz sa yugto  :-)

Offline chim

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 02:18:46 PM »
yep nice album.
Dont count me out.....

Offline S.I.M.A

• Netizen Level
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 01:59:53 AM »
your universe by rico blanco

as a maya fan since day one:
i loved this album! its rico blanco saying "i AM rivermaya"!! the songs are all emotional and lovable...rico blanco didnt hold back on his love song trademark.
every song is a hit song in my book, i listen to the album from start to finish.

as a musician:
i expected more from rico blanco...i was hoping a totally different album. the problem being is that its a rivermaya album for me! the song "yugto" could have been written by rivermaya...i can imagine mark playing the drums and japs on bass. heck, even the opening vocal line of "eeeeeyyyoooo" is so rivermaya. it also had that trademark dark song in "outta this" and the trademark loveeeduvee song in "antukin". i am dissapointed in rico coz given all the artistic freedom he had...he still sounded like rivermaya. maybe its the fact that he wanted to sell or watever...maybe its wat he wanted. but why leave rivermaya unless he wanted to do something different? your universe is anything but different.  i give this album a 3 out of 5.
Procastinate productively

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 12:58:57 AM »
wow! ganda ng mga reviews! bibili na nga ako nito! as soon as may extra pera na ko!heheh

galing talga ni rico blanco, wala na akong maihihiling pa!haha
DRUM ITEMS FOR SALE!! http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,192546.0.html

"Its better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb"

Offline jef_c_b

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 10:50:37 AM »
your universe by rico blanco

as a maya fan since day one:
i loved this album! its rico blanco saying "i AM rivermaya"!! the songs are all emotional and lovable...rico blanco didnt hold back on his love song trademark.
every song is a hit song in my book, i listen to the album from start to finish.

as a musician:
i expected more from rico blanco...i was hoping a totally different album. the problem being is that its a rivermaya album for me! the song "yugto" could have been written by rivermaya...i can imagine mark playing the drums and japs on bass. heck, even the opening vocal line of "eeeeeyyyoooo" is so rivermaya. it also had that trademark dark song in "outta this" and the trademark loveeeduvee song in "antukin". i am dissapointed in rico coz given all the artistic freedom he had...he still sounded like rivermaya. maybe its the fact that he wanted to sell or watever...maybe its wat he wanted. but why leave rivermaya unless he wanted to do something different? your universe is anything but different.  i give this album a 3 out of 5.

Because Rivermaya is Rico Blanco that's why lalabas at lalabas ang naturalesa ni Rico sa music.

Offline luna_07

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 02:23:06 AM »
Always loved Rico. Superb album!
References/successful transactions: markv, BAMF, pao2pao16, shutterbugjohn, quietstorm, skunkyfunk, Tasty, trinch, Joel Marcelo, yukinohana, chito_eoi, upfront

Offline Delaware

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »
Rico Blanco is a class unto himself. Lupet talag nitong mamang ito. :-)

Offline geniusricoblanco

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 08:22:42 PM »

Offline PLESIM

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »
rico blanco is the same rico blanco before during the rivermaya fame days..purely genius!

kahit saan mo pa ilagay ang taong ito,talagang hit ang kantang irerelease nya

astig

Offline geniusricoblanco

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 04:10:40 PM »
Before you say hes a genius, panoorin mo ung documentary na The Rico Blanco Genius Project...http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XK6HZWXJ

Dito mo makikita kung hanggang saan ang ka-geniusan niya

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »
whoever made this documentary... sana gandahan niyo naman yung production value. ;) ng mas marami kayong ma convince that Rico isn't a genius.

So to whoever made this so called documentary... write a whole bunch of original songs na lang. make it really good. hopefully the kids will love it and call you a genius someday as well.  Ayun ba ang habol niyo?  :wink:

Offline solicitor_general02

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 09:26:49 AM »
I like his album. outstanding artist and very creative
“the first thing we do, is kill all the lawyers” SHAKESPEARE