hulika

Author Topic: Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines  (Read 19723 times)

Offline IncX

Re: Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »
just to add to the current discussion ... i am with firemodel on this.

for repairs and set-up work, we have some great guys here in pinas. but if you want a high quality custom guitar, you will not get it here. hell, i even had one made in the USA for $2,300 ... and the guy is a "guitar builder," not a real luthier. i wish i bought a Sadowsky with the money i spent.

Offline norielpogi

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2014, 06:05:42 AM »
I had one of our guys here in PH .. build me a custom for 67385.55 pesos and It  feels and plays like a 4K usd worth suhr modern  to me :) .minsan  nasa nagpapagawa din kasi siguro ito ... if your willing to spend more cash and time to provide our locals with say wood, parts and to discuss thoroughly yung gusto mo maging outcome ng custom mo .. then you'll definitely get the quality your looking for.  just my 2 cents .. no intention to offend anyone peace guys ♥♥
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:13:42 AM by norielpogi »
recent deals : Spoonbender,nelldenmusic,the wilay,micsis,bossingboss,markv,roger alcantara ;spudmusic;Moncseb;pedallion gears

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2014, 07:00:37 AM »
I had one of our guys here in PH .. build me a custom for 67385.55 pesos and It  feels and plays like a 4K usd worth suhr modern  to me :) .minsan  nasa nagpapagawa din kasi siguro ito ... if your willing to spend more cash and time to provide our locals with say wood, parts and to discuss thoroughly yung gusto mo maging outcome ng custom mo .. then you'll definitely get the quality your looking for.  just my 2 cents .. no intention to offend anyone peace guys ♥♥

So, if the Suhr Modern was priced at P67,384.55 -- one peso less than the local custom, would you still buy the local custom?  Just a question for clarification.  Peace.

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2014, 07:23:45 AM »
 8-)
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline norielpogi

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 09:41:07 AM »
So, if the Suhr Modern was priced at P67,384.55 -- one peso less than the local custom, would you still buy the local custom?  Just a question for clarification.  Peace.

Ill of course buy the Suhr one (which is what I modeled my custom from) that would be a relief :). if it was that cheap :) . ♥♥♥ additional info (my custom has the same hardware as the legit  suhr modern minus the cooked caramelized magic wood :) ).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:55:01 AM by norielpogi »
recent deals : Spoonbender,nelldenmusic,the wilay,micsis,bossingboss,markv,roger alcantara ;spudmusic;Moncseb;pedallion gears

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 10:45:57 AM »
^pics  :)
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline norielpogi

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
old pictures :)
Naka Cl at LF pa sya nung time na ito .

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
^^^ may I ask kung sinong nag build nito?
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline norielpogi

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
Oo naman bro :) Mike Sison :)

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
looks good! specs breakdown naman! hehe
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline norielpogi

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »
lahat ng nasa suhr GG modern hehehe same lang minus the blower switch :D and  mid pick ups.  it would be the ff: Dimarzio Evolution  mid.. Gotoh 510TS-SF1 tremolo bridge, Tremol no  , Suhr SSH+ humbucker (zb) ,SSV humbucker (zb) pickups, Sperzel Locking .

Offline dakungfuking

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »
Here's a friendly piece of advice... Pag merong nag quote sa iyo ng neck for less than P7,000, mag-ingat ka, maghanap ka ng sample work at kilatisin mo muna.

here's a breakdown of how much it actually cost materials wise to make a guitar neck in Manila

maple a 1 x 4 x 30in = 0.83 board foot  blank will cost you = 207 pesos regardless of figure its the same price when you get them from the lumber yard

frets lets say 150-250 assuming the luthier imports it himself via lets say jescar

truss rod will set you back around 150 pesos both for vintage type and double action

less labor we are around 600-700 pesos in materials

labor wise it depends on the builder how he values his labor, problem is most people want to pay less but expects to get more than what they actually paid for

Offline dakungfuking

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2014, 04:37:09 PM »

how much did it actually cost you? i mean less parts just the build itself, wood and labor? thanks

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
here's a breakdown of how much it actually cost materials wise to make a guitar neck in Manila

maple a 1 x 4 x 30in = 0.83 board foot  blank will cost you = 207 pesos regardless of figure its the same price when you get them from the lumber yard

frets lets say 150-250 assuming the luthier imports it himself via lets say jescar

truss rod will set you back around 150 pesos both for vintage type and double action

labor wise it depends on the builder how he values his labor, problem is most people want to pay less but expects to get more than what they actually paid for

nice share!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline jeo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2014, 11:27:38 PM »

OT. saan ka nakabili ng truss rod locally?(pref.bass) im looking for one for a restoration project. TIA
>Use your ears, dont worry about the hype!>"Not everything that counts can be measured and not everything you can measure counts">TECHNIQUE is in the FINGERS & TONE is more in the GEAR>HIYAW, if you didnt get it, its your problem not mine>killed ur killer

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »
Ganda. Swabe talaga gumawa yan si sir mike. Btw, knot ba yung nasa left side?
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2014, 12:07:43 AM »
how much did it actually cost you? i mean less parts just the build itself, wood and labor? thanks

My friend also had a Suhr Modern-type build done by Elegee, and it set him back around 55k. I asked Micsis naman how much it would cost to build something similar, with Suhr pickups, locking tuners, Gotoh trem, and a figured maple top, around 55-60k din. Gilead (Kevin/free2rock) also said a custom guitar built to my specs (Suhr Standard-based, with a 1-pc baked maple neck and figured maple top) would be around the same price range. I'm guessing it's also the same for the Modern build posted here that Micsis built.

edit: I didn't see that you specified only the wood and labor -- sorry! IIRC, nasa 20k range. So yung parts talaga ang nagpapamahal sa overall build.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:33:30 AM by throwinshapes »

Offline iceblink-luck

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2014, 12:42:20 AM »
respect to all our luthiers... hope that their generation will pass through their sons and daughters(won't know) here in pampanga i only know one but it seems ceased :-\ ..subscribed
Feed me with your noise!!!
FOR SALE Guitar EFFECTS:Click THIS---->//talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=282470.msg3863929#msg3863929

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2014, 06:48:34 AM »
My friend also had a Suhr Modern-type build done by Elegee, and it set him back around 55k. I asked Micsis naman how much it would cost to build something similar, with Suhr pickups, locking tuners, Gotoh trem, and a figured maple top, around 55-60k din. Gilead (Kevin/free2rock) also said a custom guitar built to my specs (Suhr Standard-based, with a 1-pc baked maple neck and figured maple top) would be around the same price range. I'm guessing it's also the same for the Modern build posted here that Micsis built.

I think as much as we want to fantasize  that they are equal to a REAL Suhr Modern.  They are NOT.  I probably have been the longest Suhr Modern Owner if NOT in the Philippines maybe in the whole Asia for the simple reason my Suhr Modern belongs to the first batch ever built.  In fact, I got the guitar just a few days when the first Moderns were shipping out.  And I can tell you than NONE of the guitar builders you mentioned can equal my specific Suhr Modern in tone (specially this aspect), quality of materials and workmanship.

That being said, there are also plenty of Suhr duds just as there are plenty of Elegee and Micsis duds -- probably Gilead too.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2014, 06:53:52 AM »
I think as much as we want to fantasize  that they are equal to a REAL Suhr Modern.  They are NOT.  I probably have been the longest Suhr Modern Owner if NOT in the Philippines maybe in the whole Asia for the simple reason my Suhr Modern belongs to the first batch ever built.  In fact, I got the guitar just a few days when the first Moderns were shipping out.  And I can tell you than NONE of the guitar builders you mentioned can equal my specific Suhr Modern in tone (specially this aspect), quality of materials and workmanship.

That being said, there are also plenty of Suhr duds just as there are plenty of Elegee and Micsis duds -- probably Gilead too.  The biggest difference is I have a lifetime warranty from Suhr.

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2014, 07:46:49 AM »
meeh.
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2014, 08:27:56 AM »

That being said, there are also plenty of Suhr duds just as there are plenty of Elegee and Micsis duds -- probably Gilead too.

That's nice, but I never said anything about their build qualities even being comparable. I dunno where you got that idea, honestly. The person I replied to was merely asking how much the Micsis Suhr Modern build turned out and I just gave my input based on my experience of asking for a quote from those builders. :)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:29:05 AM by throwinshapes »

Offline dakungfuking

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2014, 11:20:32 AM »

edit: I didn't see that you specified only the wood and labor -- sorry! IIRC, nasa 20k range. So yung parts talaga ang nagpapamahal sa overall build.

thanks sa reply bro and i totally understand everything on your post if you know what i mean :)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »
That's nice, but I never said anything about their build qualities even being comparable. I dunno where you got that idea, honestly. The person I replied to was merely asking how much the Micsis Suhr Modern build turned out and I just gave my input based on my experience of asking for a quote from those builders. :)

Not really directed to you as the source, but rather a general statement on my part.

Offline Al Nico Five

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »

Re: Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines -- alam niyo po ba kung sino po sa mga local luthiers ang may plek machine same gamit ng suhr for their fret work?
buzz free