hulika

Author Topic: the jerks!  (Read 13869 times)

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 06:31:45 PM »
Wow! Sir, you have a fantastic memory!  :D

Offline Allan Roy

the jerks!
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 07:41:08 PM »
Yes I was also there during that fantastic Sept 15 gig....all i can say is the Jerks is the No. 1 Band in the Philippines...bar none.... i am sure all the musicians will agree.....

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 08:04:22 PM »
Quote from: Allan Roy
Yes I was also there during that fantastic Sept 15 gig....all i can say is the Jerks is the No. 1 Band in the Philippines...bar none.... i am sure all the musicians will agree.....

Another highlight of this gig, by the way, is the presence of Nonong Timbalopez (ex-drummer of Jerks) and their guitarist friend whose name escapes me... Both guys jammed with the band, to the crowd's content

Si Nonong hindi nakatiis na manatili sa upuan. Ika nga ni Chickoy, "temptation" daw ang pagtugtog, kaya ayaw din paawat sa drums hehe  :wink:

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
the jerks!
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 09:02:31 PM »
WOW....whatta set... 8)  8)  8)
black moon creeping...

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 01:54:09 PM »
Quote from: Allan Roy

i agree!!  i wish they wrote more albums though.  i just can't get enough of these guys.

"leave my girl alone" shet!!!! :shock:   i've never watched them play that before

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 05:02:56 PM »
Quote from: tele-tubby

"leave my girl alone" shet!!!! :shock:   i've never watched them play that before

Try catching them at Hobbit House on Saturdays. They usually play this there with a guest harmonica player. That, plus "Further on Up the Road"

Offline kahel

• Veteran Member
the jerks!
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 05:29:30 PM »
bakit yung pinanood ko sila sa hobbit iba yung vocalist? kaya diko tinapos yung set!

Offline hoihose

JERKS
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 06:19:20 PM »
:D  :D  :D

HA! HA!

WAS ALSO ABLE TO CATCH THEM LAST SEPT15.

THAT WAS A NIGHT TO REMEMBER!

NITOY? DAMN!!!!!!!!!

HE PLAYED THE WHOLE NIGHT USING JUST THE STRAT'S BRIDGE PUPS .NO

PEDALS! JUST THE BEATUP STRAT (BRIDGE POSITION ONLY)-CABLE-

SOLID STATE AMP!!!!!!!!!

WOW!  SALBAJE NG TONE! ( AND I THOUGHT THEY SAID BRIDGE

POSITION OF THE STRAT WAS THE GUITAR'S ACHILES HEEL)

MY HIGHSCHOOL BUDDIES WERE SO IMPRESSED THAT THEY TOLD ME

THAT  WE SHOULD CATCH THEM AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH.

:D  :D  :D
\"startin over again more or less in your pursuit of happiness\"-NUNO BETTENCOURT

Offline blue_eagle

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2006, 10:07:16 PM »
Hi there!! Newbie here. Be nice.   :wink:  Haven't really had the chance to watch The Jerks perform live. Just heard about them from a friend and now I am all excited to catch them after reading your rave reviews.

Was hoping someone can help me with The Jerks' sched? Is it 70s Bistro on Fridays and then Hobbit House on Saturdays?

Thanks in advance!   8)

Offline Allan Roy

the jerks!
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2006, 06:07:48 AM »
Yes The Jerks perform every friday at 70s and hobbit house on saturdays.... watch them and you will see why I call them the best pinoy rock band.......

Offline messyhands

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2006, 07:43:03 AM »
[Re Sept 15 setlist]

Veggie, ayan pal yung na-miss ko?!! Ngayon galit na ako hindi kayo nagyaya ni Abe! :x   hehe...Kelan kaya mauulit yung ganung mega-set?  May occassion ba nun or was it simply a magical night?

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2006, 09:35:07 PM »
Quote from: transworld25
Try catching them at Hobbit House on Saturdays. They usually play this there with a guest harmonica player. That, plus "Further on Up the Road"

"Further on Up the Road" ?  by taj mahal?

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 05:25:25 PM »

Not so sure who the original singer is, but the version The Jerks perform is pretty much based on that of Eric Clapton (City of Angels soundtrack)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2006, 05:45:20 PM »

Not so sure who the original singer is, but the version The Jerks perform is pretty much based on that of Eric Clapton (City of Angels soundtrack)

Bobby Blue Bland did the orig version in 1957 but Clapton's live version of that song is killer!

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »
Quote from: blue_eagle
Was hoping someone can help me with The Jerks' sched? Is it 70s Bistro on Fridays and then Hobbit House on Saturdays?

Thanks in advance!   8)

According to Nitoy, the only regular gigs they have are those two - 70s Bistro on Fridays, and Hobbit House on Saturdays. Check out 70s Bistro website for the band's gig sched. They usually play back-to-back with another and/performer in Hobbit House.

Chickoy plays solo folk music during Thursdays in My Brother's Moustache in Quezon City

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Handle Bar Gig (Oct 08, 2006)
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2006, 06:34:16 PM »
Caught them last Friday at Handle Bar in Makati. This time not in their usual Friday nest at 70s (they played an acoustic set in 70s, Wednesday of the same week instead). Played some stuff from the playlist earlier posted. Other songs they played last Friday are the ff:

When I Write the Book (Nick Lowe)
Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran)
It's Probably Me (Sting)
No Woman, No Cry (Bob Marley)
New York State of Mind (Billy Joel)
The Joker (Steve Miller Band)
Message in a Bottle (The Police)
Fools in Love (Joe Jackson)
Look Sharp! (Joe Jackson)
Rikki Don't Lose That Number (Steely Dan)
Brown Sugar (Rolling Stones)
Beast of Burden (Rolling Stones)
In My Life (The Beatles)
Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix)
Kun' Di Man (The Jerks)
Bitterly (The Jerks)
Light My Fire (The Doors)
Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones)
Your Latest Trick (Dire Straits)
Take a Walk on the Wild Side (Lou Reed)
Moondance (Van Morrison)
Pride and Joy (Stevie Ray Vaughan)
Layla (Eric Clapton)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2006, 06:33:29 AM »
red battered strat pa din gamit ni nitoy no?

for pedals what does he use?dati rat e.si chikoy naman nag zoom 505 for a time...hehe pinalitan din nya agad.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2006, 09:59:40 AM »
Quote from: blues2death

for pedals what does he use?dati rat e.si chikoy naman nag zoom 505 for a time...hehe pinalitan din nya agad.

Nung Friday, Nitoy plugged in straight to the amp using his old pink strat.  Chickoy naman used his red strat with only an overdrive for his effects

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2006, 11:15:44 AM »
Quote from: blues2death

Nung Friday, Nitoy plugged in straight to the amp using his old pink strat.  Chickoy naman used his red strat with only an overdrive for his effects

my god....tone meister talaga! it's all in the hands, you dont need anything else to sound good....just a good guitar, and your soul.bravo!
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blue_eagle

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2006, 09:05:40 PM »

According to Nitoy, the only regular gigs they have are those two - 70s Bistro on Fridays, and Hobbit House on Saturdays. Check out 70s Bistro website for the band's gig sched. They usually play back-to-back with another and/performer in Hobbit House.

Chickoy plays solo folk music during Thursdays in My Brother's Moustache in Quezon City

Thanks y'all! Now to drag my friend to come watch with me. Hehehe.

Offline Allan Roy

the jerks!
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2006, 08:05:50 PM »
Caught them last Friday at Handle Bar in Makati.

I hope  you can announce hre the next gig of the Jerks in Handle Bar so that I can bring my makati friends in that gig. Thanks

Offline RJVMC

the jerks!
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2006, 02:57:22 PM »
Big Jerks fan here also. I saw them a lot sa Hobbit House. Nitoy is the best guitarist: guitar to amp guy. During last year's World's Battle of the Bands, almost all of the contestants sounds muddy and amateurish, The Jerks played as guests, plugged straight and have the nastiest, cleanest, tightest set in the night.

And he's using that pinkish red strat. No amount of expensive, boutique pedals, amp modellers can save someone's playing. Nitoy doesn't need it. Because he has the talent.

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2006, 07:29:10 AM »
The Jerks playing "Hey Nineteen" here

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2006, 08:40:54 AM »
Got off early from work last Thursday so I decided to bring dad to My Bro's Mustache in QC to watch Chickoy's folk gig. It was nice to hear these songs played with a solo acoustic guitar:

Bleeker Street (Paul Simon)
Homeward Bound (Simon & Garfunkel)
One Way Sunday (Mark Almond)
New York State of Mind (Billy Joel)
Georgia On My Mind (Ray Charles)
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover (Paul Simon)
Sugar Mountain (Neil Young)
All Along the watchtower (Bob Dylan)
Love Minus Zero / No Limit (Bob Dylan)
Just Like a Woman (Bob Dylan)
As Tears Go By (Rolling Stones)
Your Latest Trick (Dire Straits)
In My Life (The Beatles)
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (The Beatles)
Breaking Us In Two (Joe Jackson)
Cancer (Joe Jackson)
Regular Guy (Jun Lopito - C. Pura) =D>
Kun 'Di Man (The Jerks)
Fragile (Sting)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Came across this article in yesterday's issue of PDI:

SOLO FLIGHT
By Pocholo Concepcion
Philippine Daily Inquirer

source: INQ7 website  

Editor's Note: Published on page F6 of the October 16, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

CHICKOY PURA PLAYING SOLO ON acoustic guitar is a joyful event in itself. For him to do so weekly on Thursdays in a place called My Brother’s Mustache in Quezon City makes it even more interesting.

The gig is a sort of return to Pura’s musical roots. Before he became the front man of the Jerks, one of the best (and still very much around) local bands of the post-Juan de la Cruz era, Pura was admittedly a folkie who covered Neil Young classics in the small clubs around Manila’s university belt. In the late 1970s, these clubs were called “folk houses.”

The sign at My Bro’s façade says it’s a “folk bar” which, on first impression, implies it’s a club that’s unabashedly partial to the type of music that made larger-than-life figures out of Bob Dylan and, closer to home, Freddie Aguilar.

But once inside, whatever limitation the term “folk music” connotes quickly disintegrates. Printed on a tarpaulin backdrop onstage are enduring images of such rock icons as Jimi Hendrix, Mick Jagger and Eric Clapton, joined by others like Jim Croce and John Denver (now, that’s more folk-like). And as if to create more gleeful confusion, the faces that greet you by the entrance door are four individual posters of John, Paul, George and Ringo.

To brush aside the tyranny of terms, I just thought that My Bro’s is a place where good folks hang out to watch great live music.

Which rang true as soon as Pura proceeded to perform a vibrant version of the Fab Four’s “Michelle.” The excellent quality of My Bro’s audio equipment did justice to the tone of Pura’s vocals and clarity of his guitar strumming.

After hearing a couple of standard folk material (Young’s “Sugar Mountain” and Dylan’s “Gotta Serve Somebody”), we were delighted with twin surprises: spirited covers of Ray Charles (“Georgia on My Mind”) and Billy Joel (“New York State of Mind”). We took note of Pura’s deliberate choices of these tunes that described the songwriters’ affinity with their hometowns.

Following a string of seldom-heard interpretations of Joe Jackson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix (“Purple Haze” on acoustic!), Sting, Stray Cats, Nick Lowe and Paul Weller, what caught us equally off-guard were Pura’s own compositions, “Kundi Man” and “The Storm”—the latter said to be written very recently in response to the rash of violent deaths involving journalists and activists nationwide.

But what finally floored us was Mon Espia being called to jam to a couple of songs that we swear not anybody could have the balls to cover: Steely Dan’s “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number” and “My Old School.” And that was when we also realized why Gary Valenciano continues to rely on Espia as lead guitarist of his backup band, the Powerplay.

Espia, by the way, also performs solo at My Bro’s Mustache, and is likewise the producer of a forthcoming CD featuring 17 artists performing newly written, all-original material.

My Bro’s owner, Rafael “Boy” Vinzon, is bankrolling the one-of-a-kind CD, unique in the sense that all proceeds (100 percent of sales) would be divided among the 17 artists who, incidentally, also perform at the club, including Heber Bartolome, Noel Cabangon, Lester Demetillo, Pol Galang, Wally Gonzales, Rannie Raymundo and Susan Fernandez, among others.

Vinzon says he wants the album to serve as a precious memento—when the time comes to close down for good—that there was once a place called My Bro’s Mustache where all these wonderful, talented musicians played.

At the moment though, that time appears far out of sight. The night we were there, the folks kept coming in.

(My Bro’s Mustache is at 68 Scout Madriñan corner Scout Tuason, Quezon City.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2006, 07:55:03 AM »
While I realize The Jerks has morphed into a great Stones and Steely Dan cover band, I hope they don't ever get rid of their socially-oriented originals - "Rage", "Sayaw Sa Bubog", "Reklamo nang Reklamo". It would be an utter waste if they just blended into cover band city.