hulika

Author Topic: Acoustic Electric Guitar amplifier, any suggestions  (Read 6316 times)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Acoustic Electric Guitar amplifier, any suggestions
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 10:53:42 AM »
acoustic/elec - direct box (pwede rin mic) - mixer - powered speakers

@dmole
this is the usual set-up for acoustic.  ndi ko alam kung mraming acoustic guitarists ang gumagamit ng acoustic amps..mas maganda kasi tlga kung rekta ka sa mixer eh.  kaya lng naman ndi rekta ang mga electric guitars and bass guitars kasi baka masunog ung electronics dun sa speakers.  kaya through amp cla.

and ndi nga magandang gumamit ng electric guitar amp for acoustic.  ndi na magiging natural ung tunog nun..  :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 12:10:32 PM »
Hindi talaga natural. But it can work.
I had to resort to this nung medyo nagka-problema kami sa pag-rekta sa PA system dati.

I don't know how I did it - I managed to make the guitar sound decent kahit papano.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2007, 12:37:11 PM »
Hindi talaga natural. But it can work.
I had to resort to this nung medyo nagka-problema kami sa pag-rekta sa PA system dati.

I don't know how I did it - I managed to make the guitar sound decent kahit papano.

it will work..but the essence kasi of the acoustic is to have a natural sound...kaya parang it defeats the purpose pag pinasok sa electric amp.  :-)

pero for extreme situations like ngkaproblema sa pag-rekta, wala na tlgang choice kundi gumamit ng electric amp.  :-D

Offline GGBR

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2007, 02:42:14 PM »
it will work..but the essence kasi of the acoustic is to have a natural sound...kaya parang it defeats the purpose pag pinasok sa electric amp.  :-)

pero for extreme situations like ngkaproblema sa pag-rekta, wala na tlgang choice kundi gumamit ng electric amp.  :-D

H! AM still out and won't be back till probably first week Nov. Have not really have time to surf.

I found the maker of AER's pickup. Looks like a reputable OEM for acoustic transducers, pickups and preamps. Their prices are something like 300-400Php complete. I also found out that already many reputable music names are made here.

We have in MANY MANY (if not all) gigs experienced mismatching an acoustic guitar plugged into an electric lead amp AND if you KNOW acoustic sound then you will not be happy with the resulting sound. Lead amps are simply not EQed for acoustics. The drivers are specially designed for higher twangs and screeches. A better option would be to plug into a KB amp and EVEN better is into a GOOD DI then into the board.

This mismatch is simply a result of many sound reinforcement companies not investing in acoustic amps (either because acoustic was not really IN for shows and big functions OR the cost of buying added equipment was not justifiable).

Since you are in CA, then avail of the AER ($999) or a very campable (half the price) ULTRASONIC AMP SD50 (pls check the variant models), Acoust Image's Clarus. There is a newly released amp (it completely escaped me & is of a reputable US brand BUT in the ($1,100 - 1,200??)price range of the AER Compact 60, I believe it is meant to compete on this level)

If you do not have the money for this sort of expense then go the preamp way- LR Baggs, D-TAR, Presonus, K &K, Highlander, or Pickup the World. It's all available in CA. If you are in the bay area near Palo Alto, go to Gryphon Stringed Instruments on LAmbert Ave. (by Stanford) and you WILL MEET REAL PROS in acoustics. ASK FOR FRANK FORD!!:-D :-o

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2007, 04:41:42 PM »
^ listen to the master.  :-D

i thought you're back already!  :-D  i've also been busy with work and had no time to follow-up the Baggs i asked my cousin to buy in Sing.  what's more, i stopped gigging due to some personal conflict with the place owner and our manager.  not really a problem since work is really bugging me lately.  haven't even got time to visit Doc.  :-D

were u able to read the problem i'm having with my guitar lately?  i posted it in the other thread...Doc already told me to go to audiophile main to have it checked but i haven't got the time.  :-D

Offline GGBR

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 05:03:45 PM »
^ listen to the master.  :-D
were u able to read the problem i'm having with my guitar lately?  i posted it in the other thread...Doc already told me to go to audiophile main to have it checked but i haven't got the time.  :-D

Please don't start to sound like Pound who gets a kick out of patronizing me. Alam nya kasi di naman ako marunong magtutog ng gitara... Yes I'm still out and will be thru Nov-a good respite from the politically & weatherly stormy RP.

Many guitar parts/accessory manufacturers here that supply major US & Eauropean music names at a fraction of the price,

The distorting string thru the amp is a loose fit underneath that particular string. Is that a UST (under the saddle trand). Or possibly imbalanced string(s') pressure on the UST. Try depressing on that area when playing amplified.....need to run offf to dinner now....

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2007, 05:16:37 PM »
Please don't start to sound like Pound who gets a kick out of patronizing me.

The distorting string thru the amp is a loose fit underneath that particular string. Is that a UST (under the saddle trand). Or possibly imbalanced string(s') pressure on the UST. Try depressing on that area when playing amplified.....need to run offf to dinner now....

hahahaha!  :-D  i'm just amazed with your knowledge and experience in the acoustic field.  :-)

under the saddle trand?  hmmmmm...i'll check later.   :-)  if you're busy, i'll just ask Doc for info on the UST.  :-D

thanks sir GGBR!  :-D

Offline GGBR

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 09:55:03 PM »
hahahaha!  :-D  i'm just amazed with your knowledge and experience in the acoustic field.  :-)

under the saddle trand?  hmmmmm...i'll check later.   :-)  if you're busy, i'll just ask Doc for info on the UST.  :-D

thanks sir GGBR!  :-D

MAINLY DUE TO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH KNOWN AND NOT-SO-KNOWN MUSIKEROS IN THE INDUSTRY. NUNG UNA WALA AKONG ALAM. NGAYON EH MAS MARAMI PALA AKONG NA ACCUMULATE NA INFO KESA SA TALAGANG MARURUNONG TUMUGTOG. KAYANG,,,KAYA KO NANG SUMABAY (ACTUALLY MA OUT TALK SILA :-D) SA TECH DICSUSSIONS. HANGGANG DUN LANG NAMAN AKO SA TECHNICAL ---HA HA HA....PAG DI ATA MARUNONG TUMUGTOG EH DINADAAN NA LANG SA TECH--HE HE! I NEED TO ENROL IN THE NEAREST SCHOOL OF MUSIC........ :-D :-D

Actually based on my personal experience with artists in the industry, they really don;t talk much technicalities. They talk music, technique, artistry and total band dynamics rather than technicalities. It is the newbees or neophites that are more interested in the technicalities more that the artistry. I really don;t know Y???

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »
MAINLY DUE TO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH KNOWN AND NOT-SO-KNOWN MUSIKEROS IN THE INDUSTRY. NUNG UNA WALA AKONG ALAM. NGAYON EH MAS MARAMI PALA AKONG NA ACCUMULATE NA INFO KESA SA TALAGANG MARURUNONG TUMUGTOG. KAYANG,,,KAYA KO NANG SUMABAY (ACTUALLY MA OUT TALK SILA :-D) SA TECH DICSUSSIONS. HANGGANG DUN LANG NAMAN AKO SA TECHNICAL ---HA HA HA....PAG DI ATA MARUNONG TUMUGTOG EH DINADAAN NA LANG SA TECH--HE HE! I NEED TO ENROL IN THE NEAREST SCHOOL OF MUSIC........ :-D :-D

Actually based on my personal experience with artists in the industry, they really don;t talk much technicalities. They talk music, technique, artistry and total band dynamics rather than technicalities. It is the newbees or neophites that are more interested in the technicalities more that the artistry. I really don;t know Y???

before i joined this forum, i wasn't really into the technicalities of the guitar...i was just all into the music and showmanship.  when i joined this forum, it's when i realized how much i didn't know about the technicalities of the acoustic guitar and its accessories...with this knowledge, i can further enhance the sound that i can produce, and ultimately improve my quality of music.  :-)

cguro ung mga artists in the industry already know the technicalities by heart...kaya music and artistry na ung pinag-uusapan nila.  :-D

pero it's really amazing for someone who doesn't know how to play the guitar (which i honestly find hard to believe sir!   :lol:) to know this much about the instrument.  and also to share these information to others is another amazing thing.  :-)

Offline dmole

• Netizen Level
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 11:20:19 PM »

I think one good thing about the forum is that newbie, the masters, etc have a chance to learn from each other.

Please continue to share valuable information that's truly appreciated.

Offline GGBR

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 08:36:16 AM »
cguro ung mga artists in the industry already know the technicalities by heart...kaya music and artistry na ung pinag-uusapan nila.  :-D

pero it's really amazing for someone who doesn't know how to play the guitar (which i honestly find hard to believe sir!   :lol:) to know this much about the instrument.  and also to share these information to others is another amazing thing.  :-)

What I have really found out is that most of the 'real' musicians in our industry DO NOT BOTHER much about the hardware or gears....THEY PLAY. They can make a mediocre instrument sound like a thousand $$-piece. They are more concerned  with their personal technique.

I personally look for sound, sound, sound & sound....which does not mean gear, gear & GEAR. The artist has to put in 70% of that sound, only the 30% (or even less) is gear! People, as well as musicians, 'COMPENSATE' for the lack of.......

Conclusion -- if your gear is $$XXX,XXX but you don't have the technique, talent nor skill, your $XXX,XXX worth of gear will sound like PPnnn.nn. So bottomline....

GET YOUR PLAYING UP TO THE 'PINOY' STANDARD (WHICH, I BELIEVE,  IS HIGHER THAN OTHER COUNTRIES) THEN BUY THE INSTRUMENT TO MATCH YOUR LEVEL OF PLAYING.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2007, 02:57:07 PM »

Conclusion -- if your gear is $$XXX,XXX but you don't have the technique, talent nor skill, your $XXX,XXX worth of gear will sound like PPnnn.nn. So bottomline....

GET YOUR PLAYING UP TO THE 'PINOY' STANDARD (WHICH, I BELIEVE,  IS HIGHER THAN OTHER COUNTRIES) THEN BUY THE INSTRUMENT TO MATCH YOUR LEVEL OF PLAYING.[/color].

one of my friends said that the "pinoy standard" is really higher than other countries because we give songs our own "twist".  he said musicians in other countries are after "cd quality", which means playing the song EXACTLY how it sounds in the cd.  this is really not my cup of tea..hehehe!  :-D

this is why i'm looking for an instrument that can match my level of play..it's just really sad that even if we're in a country of superior musical inclinations, available quality gear is so limited.  :|  but i'm still looking for other avenues for me to get better instruments.  :-)

Offline dmole

• Netizen Level
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2007, 08:22:41 AM »

Ganda nga yang AER, yung model na compact 60 gamit pala ni Tommy Emmanuel din pag di sya naka PA.

Thanks sa suggestions. As of now, di muna ko bili nyan too pricey pa hehehe.

H! AM still out and won't be back till probably first week Nov. Have not really have time to surf.

I found the maker of AER's pickup. Looks like a reputable OEM for acoustic transducers, pickups and preamps. Their prices are something like 300-400Php complete. I also found out that already many reputable music names are made here.

We have in MANY MANY (if not all) gigs experienced mismatching an acoustic guitar plugged into an electric lead amp AND if you KNOW acoustic sound then you will not be happy with the resulting sound. Lead amps are simply not EQed for acoustics. The drivers are specially designed for higher twangs and screeches. A better option would be to plug into a KB amp and EVEN better is into a GOOD DI then into the board.

This mismatch is simply a result of many sound reinforcement companies not investing in acoustic amps (either because acoustic was not really IN for shows and big functions OR the cost of buying added equipment was not justifiable).

Since you are in CA, then avail of the AER ($999) or a very campable (half the price) ULTRASONIC AMP SD50 (pls check the variant models), Acoust Image's Clarus. There is a newly released amp (it completely escaped me & is of a reputable US brand BUT in the ($1,100 - 1,200??)price range of the AER Compact 60, I believe it is meant to compete on this level)

If you do not have the money for this sort of expense then go the preamp way- LR Baggs, D-TAR, Presonus, K &K, Highlander, or Pickup the World. It's all available in CA. If you are in the bay area near Palo Alto, go to Gryphon Stringed Instruments on LAmbert Ave. (by Stanford) and you WILL MEET REAL PROS in acoustics. ASK FOR FRANK FORD!!:-D :-o