hulika

Author Topic: Breathing  (Read 839 times)

Offline manson

Breathing
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »
have you guys noticed your breathing when you play a groove or a fill??

How are you suppose to breath when you do a fill?

I just realized this after working on the book New Breed. I noticed that I hold my breath which affects my playing. New breed is great because it makes you sing the notes your playing which forces you to focus on you breathing.
 :-D

power in numbers!!!

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
Re: Breathing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 07:55:54 PM »
just play relaxed, regardless of what you're playing. playing relaxed shall dictate how you breath. and it's easy to do; enjoy the music and listen to your bandmates. the only problem with this is when you encounter a crappy PA system where you can't hear anything properly, though this can be circumvented by rehearsing enough. heh. :)

i somehow learned how to play relaxed maybe because of watching billy ward's dvd, "big time" (huge inspiration. watch it and he'll instantly become one of your favorite drummers.). i also learned how to keep track of time using breathing and other mechanics-- i breathe in deeply during "1", and my breathing is constant throughout the song (i think).

back when i didn't breathe properly, i panic then speed up. it doesn't happen now. during our first gig, i panicked because of the equipment. that lead to me making bad choices on fills-- fills which could've been way better-- but i never sped up. yun siguro ang importante, having a steady pulse even during a bad day.

whew. sorry. long reply.
kung di mo alam, isipin muna ang GMG bago ang lahat: Google Mo, G**O!

Offline CDodrummer

Re: Breathing
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:25:39 AM »
Practice breathing with a metronome. Lol probably won't help but I used to do that.
Duct tape has a light and darker side. Like the Force, it holds the world together