hulika

Author Topic: Review: Buddha’s Pest (The Mongols, 2004)  (Read 5212 times)

Offline bog chihukbo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Review: Buddha’s Pest (The Mongols, 2004)
« on: June 09, 2017, 12:57:08 PM »
Got Buddha’s Pest few months ago—got it pre-loved, second-hand, from eBay. As advertised, it is in mint condition. The CD inserts, with production notes and lyrics, are still intact—means the previous owner really took good care of it. It’s quite amusing though, that the liner notes come with directions and precautions, warning about the dangers in playing it loud and listening closely. That at full volume, it is no different from the red pill that could lead you down the rabbit hole; that it’s as potent as any mind-altering substance that could trigger mental time travel or worse, disorient and [strawberry] the brain.

Buddha’s Pest is Jesus “Dizzy” Ventura’s (a.k.a. Ely Buendia) first proper release, post-Eraserheads; and The Mongols, his first formal band since “graduation”. Like the five-track EP Fraction of A Second, which was sold in their gigs in CD-R format, Buddha’s Pest is also self-produced by the band, released under their own Criminal Records, but under a major label imprint for wider distribution. Much like Teeth’s unintended swan song I Was A Teenage Tree, Buddha’s Pest  is criminally underrated.

Quite interesting that The Mongols open the album with repeated sampled noises (which echoes, whether intentional or not, the electronic beats and loops from the Heads’ last outing), before kicking the flood gates open with “The Keeper”. What follows is a string of tunes that not only recalls the early ’90s—particularly shoegaze and grunge—but also reminds of Ely Buendia’s witticisms and penchant for melody—with the latter having gone a bit suspect on Carbon Stereoxide.

The Mongols mine old gold, both tuneful and mouthful: whether it’s the fragmented lyricism of “Bulakbol”, Buendia’s internal monologues in “Bakit Nga Ba?”, or his parade of comic-book characters in both the Billy Corgan-esque “Wig Out” (a troglodyte, a silent sentry, the Minotaur) and the impossibly sublime “Irish Spring” (the dragon-slayer, his lady fair, and the little monster). The words aren’t just sounds that flows with the tunes. There are stories in there, floating in a whirl of fuzz and distortion. Needless to say, this is easily Buendia’s best set of songs since Sticker Happy.

Complementing Buendia’s full-on comeback is Teeth’s Jerome Velasco. Velasco’s guitars provide the grit and nuances, shifting between chunky distorted riffs and dreamy soundscapes between and within songs while the band flies high on intricately layered song constructs and simple chord progressions.

But to credit everything to guitarists Buendia and Velasco would be harshly unfair to the rest of the gang. There’s the dreamy “Pony”, a song about a girl who loves to tell stories about girls and bands, penned by Yan Yuzon and Bogs Jugo—the other half of the band, relatively newcomers whose names suspiciously sound like they were lifted from comic books. Then there’s “It’s Over”, another solid contribution from Yuzon, which is not really for the embittered Eheads’ fans (So hold my hand/ We’ll take a bow/ The world can do without us now).

This album has plenty of highlights, but for me, “Heroine”, a song credited to all members of the band, takes the cake. This is where all hell breaks loose. Mid-song, there’s a campy exchange between GOD (played by Buendia’s muse, Diane Ventura) and Satan that sounds like a scene straight out of the first Heavy Metal movie—it’s hilariously grungy and head-bangingly cool. But what sets this apart is the chorus; it is heavenly—like the whole band speaking in tongues—a modern haiku for the ages.

I promise you my heart/ we’ll never be apart/ I’m gonna [strawberry] you like there’s no tomorrow.

No other band—not the Radioactive Sago Project, not Wolfgang, not the Eraserheads, not even the Urban Bandits—has ever gone this pure. This magical. This visceral.

“Heroine” is its [strawberry]’ nirvana and Buddha’s Pest is bliss.

https://breedinglikelarva.wordpress.com/2017/05/27/buddhas-pest-the-mongols-2004/
https://breedinglikelarva.wordpress.com

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Review: Buddha’s Pest (The Mongols, 2004)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »

yung Bakit Nga Ba ay tungkol nga ba kay Raymund?
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline bog chihukbo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 01:46:59 PM »
parang hindi naman. sobrang random lang kasi nung mga nasa lyrics, tulad din nung sa Bulakbol.
yung It's Over nung una kala ko patungkol sa 'Heads, pero hindi rin. At Yan Yuzon ang nagsulat nun.

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 01:58:52 PM »

may linya kasi dun na "bakit nga ang pusa, tumatawid kahit bawal ang jaywalking"

tapos may linya si Raymund sa Slo Mo na "matanda na ang pusa ko, kahihintay sa linya ng telepono"
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian