hulika

Author Topic: Vinyl vs. CD and FS2 vs. SSL vs. CDX - Art of Turntablism  (Read 7608 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Vinyl vs. CD
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 12:03:10 AM »
haha-jeps, you'd expect all the hotheaded comparisons between DJs to eventually occur at some point because some people will always like one product over another. Personally, if you are using one over the other AND it accomplishes what you want to do as a DJ, what wrong is there in your choice? My advice would be to look into the expansion options for the package you want and see if it provides your needs well and maybe a bit more. The main beef I have with people that hotly contest one product over another is the mere subjective nature of the matter; both products are very good and I would readily gig with FS2 or Scratch Live anyday along with my vinyl because this is the way I do business as a DJ; i integrate digital and analog without the need to burn CDs. FS2 has worked well for me and that is all that counts:)

Some people report that they have had hiccups with FS2 and other report that they haven't. I have been running FS for almost 2 years now on a Mac laptop (briefly on a Dell XPS as well) and I've never had a problem. Granted, the Mac's job is ONLY for doing DJ sets so it might have a more trimmed down set of software than others that use their machines for music AND non-music things.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 12:09:11 AM »
Im starting to have a GAS Attack on FS2 and SL

why? i want to play with our bands vocalist voice on the turntables hehehe.

unlike before... i heard that DJ Kilmore had a vinyl customized with Brandon Boyd's voice for some of Incubus songs during the late 90's till the early 2K :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:12:54 AM by xjepoyx »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 02:34:51 AM »
Im starting to have a GAS Attack on FS2 and SL

why? i want to play with our bands vocalist voice on the turntables hehehe.

unlike before... i heard that DJ Kilmore had a vinyl customized with Brandon Boyd's voice for some of Incubus songs during the late 90's till the early 2K :D

true and the same went for Linkin Park. Joe Han actually had test vinyl pressings to do the scratching effects before the time of CDJs and FS/SL.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 10:30:12 AM »
true and the same went for Linkin Park. Joe Han actually had test vinyl pressings to do the scratching effects before the time of CDJs and FS/SL.

yup nabasa ko din yung kay joe han. its much easier na ngayon dahil sa fs2 and sl noh?

i already watch the demo videos of these products pero naguguluminahan (lalim tagalog ko noh?hehe) pa rin ako on how a turntable be able to control the software and the music you have on the computer. hehe

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 03:02:08 PM »
current list price of SSL is around P29k.

laki talaga patong locally noh? from $485 sabihin natin plus taxes and shipping mga $520 lang yun thats 21K pesos lang. pero parang ok na rin kesa mag intay pa sa padala mula sa US

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 11:46:14 PM »
yup nabasa ko din yung kay joe han. its much easier na ngayon dahil sa fs2 and sl noh?

i already watch the demo videos of these products pero naguguluminahan (lalim tagalog ko noh?hehe) pa rin ako on how a turntable be able to control the software and the music you have on the computer. hehe

yup...products like FS and SL have changed the DJ scene a lot for the better.

ang lalim talaga - reminds me of my old Fil language class in HS - yung literature like Ibong Adarna was mad deep...so deep in some points that I was often left scratching my head..lol

Basically, the key to SL and FS products is in the encoding of the vinyl which is quite a remarkable development.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Vinyl vs. CD and FS2 vs. SSL vs. CDX - Art of Turntablism
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »
patay na! unang GAS ko yata for 2008 ay either FS2 or SL! and of couse an ibook huhuhuhu
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 02:28:27 PM by xjepoyx »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 04:02:53 AM »
patay na! unang GAS ko yata for 2008 ay either FS2 or SL! and of couse an ibook huhuhuhu

uy! i don't know if this item is out there in the Phils yet pero, Jeps, have you tried the new Mackie D4 mixer? I just took the thing for a brief spin and I like it -alot. The EQs, fader and layout of the mixer is great - integrates well with Traktor too!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 06:49:19 AM »
WOW! ive seen the preview just now! Ang ganda nga! pero grabe its $800

budget ko lang yata is for the Vestax VMC-002XLu, less than $200 lang :D

Offline jplacson

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2007, 03:06:51 PM »
I wonder if they'll ever make a DJ version... hehehehe

http://www.elpj.com
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »
I wonder if they'll ever make a DJ version... hehehehe

http://www.elpj.com

wow....

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 09:48:49 AM »
since Serato and Stanton have these FS and SL products....

this thing came into my attention "- M-Audio Torq & Conectiv" coz someone is selling the said product at the classified section.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Conectiv-main.html

Any insights about this Mikey?

Its way cheaper than the leading products kaya im so interested :D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:03:12 PM by xjepoyx »

Offline forerunnertech

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 10:00:08 AM »
for those who want the vinyl feel but like the convinience of using CDs, check this out...

NUMARK X2

YOUTUBE Link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T53Chm0gro0

A TOTAL DJ SOLUTION FOR VINYL, CDS, AND MP3 CDS.

Considering all the attention–grabbing features on this muscular hybrid turntable, make sure that you don't overlook its most important asset: a slot–load CD player, with MP3 capability. Fear not, because once you start using the X2, you won't forget all of the great attributes packed into this unit.

Numark's X2 benefits from the industry's highest torque, direct–drive motor, which provides the long–term stability and durability that professionals demand. This exceptional turntable employs adjustable pitch control for both 33 and 45 RPM vinyl records, an ultra–precise aluminum tonearm with cue, height, and anti–skate adjustments. Best of all, the X2 utilizes Numark's patented interchangeable straight or S–shaped tonearm. The X2 is specifically designed for long–term dependable operation with its 12–inch anti–drag aluminum platter and solid core construction (which minimizes vibrations and unwanted noise).

The X2's CD player offers full MP3 playback capability as well as the ability to scratch, loop, manipulate and pitch adjust both audio and MP3 data CDs. Since both the CD and turntable can be played simultaneously, this double–threat hybrid turntable represents a bridge between the comfort and control of vinyl and the expansive capabilities of digital music output.
Forerunner Technologies Inc.<br />Tel: 9263630/ 9252597<br />email:  info@forerunnertech.com

Offline nongx

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »
Vinyl is more dynamic & better bass most of bar club in US & Europe they are using Vinyl because of wide sound & pumping bass.. Cd is compress sound....  :mrgreen:

So which of the 2 formats has better bass? Lemme hear your thoughts...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2008, 09:37:34 AM »
Cd is compress sound....

You DO know that is a misconception, don't you? You can only put a lot of bass on vinyl before the needle starts jumping around because the groove gets cut uncomfortably close to the next groove. And don't get me started on stereo separation...  8-)
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 02:09:11 AM »
You can only put a lot of bass on vinyl before the needle starts jumping around because the groove gets cut uncomfortably close to the next groove.

when I was Djing a lot I was constantly having to battle this so, boy do I know what you mean! there are some companies that have vinyl cut much better than others and others that just go way too overboard at the expense of forcing a lot of DJs to use weights on their needles when they really don't want to because of wear and tear.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »
AFAIK, one of the ways to minimize groove skipping was to increase the distances between grooves. This could provide the necessary bass response but at the expense of play time since you use up more vinyl real estate per song. That's why club vinyls are usually EP's with one song per side.

One thing I've been noticing is that high frequencies are also affected when the needle skips a crest and lands on the next. Supposedly slower rpm's and heavier needle weight should help with needle tracking... reminds me of our old Lenco turntable (my dad was a hifi nut). That turntable had lots of weights for tonearm balancing as well as a counterweight for tangential balancing and another for needle pressure (I usually tracked with this B&O cartidge at 1/2 gram!). Obviously you can't DJ with that table. Those were the days...
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline cosmic_adobo

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 10:25:22 AM »
sarap basahin ng thread na ito...daming matututunan  :-o

"Music is the weapon of the future" - Fela Kuti

Offline behave_blue

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 09:21:19 PM »
mas mura nga yung sa m-audio...may available na kaya nito sa pinas??

Offline chong01

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2008, 04:47:59 AM »
ang alam ko may m-audio torq sa JB, pero medyo may kamahalan pa rin. and if im not mistaken, may SSL sa audiophile. yon mahal talaga. hahaha. from what ive heard, medyo may latency problems ang Torq and it tends to crash a lot daw (sabi ng nakilala kong dj sa states.) pero for mixing, pwede na daw yung torq. pero kung scratch-heavy ang set mo, migh as well, get the SSL of FS2 daw.

kung may makashare ng experiences with torq, speak up! haha. natetempt din ako kumuha since mas mura nga sha kesa sa leading brands.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:21:09 PM by chong01 »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2008, 11:05:03 AM »
since Serato and Stanton have these FS and SL products....

this thing came into my attention "- M-Audio Torq & Conectiv" coz someone is selling the said product at the classified section.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Conectiv-main.html

Any insights about this Mikey?

Its way cheaper than the leading products kaya im so interested :D

i tried it recently - very nice and it tracks well too. Great pricing and it sounds great. I didn't do very much scratching with it but I couldn't make it lag when I was doing the "crab" with it:)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2008, 11:11:53 AM »
i tried it recently - very nice and it tracks well too. Great pricing and it sounds great. I didn't do very much scratching with it but I couldn't make it lag when I was doing the "crab" with it:)

yeah! upon watching videos from NAMM 2008 at youtube i think this is one gear that DJs must have.

ang alam ko may m-audio torq sa JB, pero medyo may kamahalan pa rin. and if im not mistaken, may SSL sa audiophile. yon mahal talaga. hahaha. from what ive heard, medyo may latency problems ang Torq and it tends to crash a lot daw (sabi ng nakilala kong dj sa states.) pero for mixing, pwede na daw yung torq. pero kung scratch-heavy ang set mo, migh as well, get the SSL of FS2 daw.

try to watch this bro :D

Offline chong01

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »
try to watch this bro :D

yup, seen this already. hehe. well only one way to find out, kelangan nga masubukan! :D

Offline forerunnertech

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2008, 04:34:35 PM »

hey, by the way, if any of you guys need carts, we have Stanton, Numark and American Audio Tonar (Rebadged ORTOFONs) in stock.
Forerunner Technologies Inc.<br />Tel: 9263630/ 9252597<br />email:  info@forerunnertech.com

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2008, 08:31:25 PM »

hey, by the way, if any of you guys need carts, we have Stanton, Numark and American Audio Tonar (Rebadged ORTOFONs) in stock.

sure sir Mario. As soon as i get funds for those expensive catridges hehe. I really wanna try those stantons ans ortofons one of these days