hulika

Author Topic: audio interface / external sound card  (Read 7287 times)

Offline jeri_skwid

• Netizen Level
Re: audio interface / external sound card
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 10:33:42 PM »
i got a delta 1010LT. its a great audio interface. though nahirapan ako nung una na i-configure. it works great.

Offline joachim

• Netizen Level
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 08:08:23 AM »
@ mark, kaloy, ping & jeri,  thanks for your inputs, you have given me more reason to explore the world of m-audio...

Offline markmaya

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »
i use M Audio JamLab and it does its job naman..
however i cant get it to work sa adobe audition....

what software(s) did you use dito sa Jamlab?... i only use kasi audacity eh..

I've tried it with Garage Band and Protools :)

LouieAzcona

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »
i got a delta 1010LT. its a great audio interface. though nahirapan ako nung una na i-configure. it works great.

agree. nakakalito sa simula pero verry happy ako. partida, mga analog inputs palang nagagamit ko, hindi ko pa nadidiscover ung magic ng DIGITal. haha!

Offline jeri_skwid

• Netizen Level
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »
pwede nga pang-videoke sa pc kasi ok ung mic input.  :-D

Offline markmaya

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 01:11:32 PM »
@ mark, kaloy, ping & jeri,  thanks for your inputs, you have given me more reason to explore the world of m-audio...

Anytime bro :) Good luck and enjoy :)

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »
i just peeked into the M-audio Transit.  couldn't find any review on this product within philmusic.  i was wondering how it works with a basic analog mixer and under windows xp with sp2 or better yet any chance of compatibility with linux systems?  how is the sound quality?  the ease of use &/or setup, latency issues, etc.?  i also noticed it had a bundled protools demo software, anyone have an idea on the limitations of the demo?  is it time or feature restricted?  KitC thanks for this M-audio Transit idea, this got my lights flashing =)  btw, happy birthday...

The Transit's cool... My other client's studio has a DELTA 1010 (which weve just upgraded to a PROJECTMIX I/O) but when the time came to record some live jam sessions on his laptop... I just hooked him up with a TRANSIT... Nice audio quality too for its price... I just hooked to a mixer record out and after some level adjustments I got a clean sound... for some closer scrutiny I tried it with an Ovation and a Yamaha acoustic guitar straight to the board for some Latin Jazz tracks and I must say that I was really surprised at its sound... you should try it out...
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 04:36:16 AM »
Sir Kit,

I have an M Audio - Audio interface as well as a Novation X Station with the audio interface, don't those come with mic pre's built in? Reason I'm asking is, I plan to do some voice recording and was thinking if I'll be needing something like an SSL, focusrite or Avalons?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 09:01:42 AM »
I have an M Audio - Audio interface as well as a Novation X Station with the audio interface, don't those come with mic pre's built in? Reason I'm asking is, I plan to do some voice recording and was thinking if I'll be needing something like an SSL, focusrite or Avalons?

The X-station has mic preamps(with phantom power!) built-in so getting additional preamps is optional except if you want better sounding mic pres. While you could opt for the more expensive mic pres, it might be overkill if your recording area isn't properly treated or you're only doing demos. Either way, I'm not stopping you from getting an SSL or an Avalon.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 07:48:58 PM »
The X-station has mic preamps(with phantom power!) built-in so getting additional preamps is optional except if you want better sounding mic pres. While you could opt for the more expensive mic pres, it might be overkill if your recording area isn't properly treated or you're only doing demos. Either way, I'm not stopping you from getting an SSL or an Avalon.

Thanks! Well I'm planning to do some recordings for a DIY album so I was thinking of getting nicer/better equipment just in case. Though my room isn't that treated well, had some boards made with some treatment for a makeshift vocal booth. I'm not too familiar yet with the big differences between those high end mic pres so I was just wondering if I needed those or the one on the x station would do.

btw, I'm also looking at the toneport UX2 with the mic pre emulations. My friend says it can get close (though of course not exactly like it) so I got intrigued by it.

Offline joachim

• Netizen Level
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 05:22:10 AM »
@bloodshed, thanks for the inputs...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 08:01:12 AM »
btw, I'm also looking at the toneport UX2 with the mic pre emulations. My friend says it can get close (though of course not exactly like it) so I got intrigued by it.

That would mean adding another usb audio interface, which can get complicated if you have several of them. I'd rather you consider the mini POD instead of the UX2, or the regular POD if budget allows, then plug that into your Maudio. That way, you only have one audio interface to deal with, and a less complicated audio routing scheme in the process.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 03:17:23 AM »
That would mean adding another usb audio interface, which can get complicated if you have several of them. I'd rather you consider the mini POD instead of the UX2, or the regular POD if budget allows, then plug that into your Maudio. That way, you only have one audio interface to deal with, and a less complicated audio routing scheme in the process.

sorry for not clarifying hehe If I do end up getting the toneport UX2, I'd use it as my interface already since the preamp emulation runs on the software side and only works native to line6 cards.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 08:44:19 AM »
sorry for not clarifying hehe If I do end up getting the toneport UX2, I'd use it as my interface already since the preamp emulation runs on the software side and only works native to line6 cards.

You mentioned already having an M-Audio interface as well as an X-station. Adding the UX2 will mean a 3rd interface. If you are using asio drivers, be aware that you can only have one (1) audio interface active with asio. WDM drivers may allow simultaneous operation of all 3 interfaces, but usually at the sake of latency, which assumes the slowest latency of the 3 interfaces, or is a combination of their latencies.

The POD probably shares similar software as the UX2, but most likely has better algorithms since it is easier to optimize software to run with specific hardware.

Offline chec

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 10:38:16 PM »
cy, dude i think novation's preamps are good...i mean halos 1 year ko din pinag isipan what audio interface should be the best for what i do (nagtatanong pa ako sa inyo heheh) anyway i ended up getting an alesis io|14 well syempre because of its features and pre's (altho i havent tried m-audio's pre amp...sabi ni ado malayo daw tunog...i have no idea)

but ultimately, i think maganda talaga m-audio (used to have an ozone as soundcard and controller pero di ko nagamit yung mic ins)
one day it'll all make sense

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 02:51:06 AM »
cy, dude i think novation's preamps are good...i mean halos 1 year ko din pinag isipan what audio interface should be the best for what i do (nagtatanong pa ako sa inyo heheh) anyway i ended up getting an alesis io|14 well syempre because of its features and pre's (altho i havent tried m-audio's pre amp...sabi ni ado malayo daw tunog...i have no idea)

but ultimately, i think maganda talaga m-audio (used to have an ozone as soundcard and controller pero di ko nagamit yung mic ins)

thanks sir kit and chec,

yeah I guess I'll hold off from getting the line6 til i give it more thought. I was just thinking of how getting better quality preamps can make a big difference in the recordings. I've read in an article though that unless you get something around I think the 1000 dollar above range of pro preamps, you'r better off with  the preamps of your audio interface/mixer. Naintriga lang talaga ako dun sa preamp emulation nung Line6 kse. At the price, it seemed like a practical compromise hehe

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 08:42:03 AM »
Naintriga lang talaga ako dun sa preamp emulation nung Line6 kse. At the price, it seemed like a practical compromise hehe

In all fairness to Line6, it is. They have gone on to release the KB37 keyboard controller with the same UX2 preamps, plus their UX8 eight-channel preamp with USB 2.0 connectivity. Given a choice, I would go for the UX8.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while it's nice to have a choice in preamps and interfaces, it can get rather unwieldy having to juggle around several audio interfaces, all of them being stereo I/O. Add to the fact that ASIO can address only one physical interface at a time (for best latency performance), the juggling act can get old pretty quick. The UX2 offers an easy way to record guitars into your pc; most pci soundcards do not have that capability and most cards with preamps do not have an instrument/DI input capability - several interfaces have since come out with guitar input capability, the UX2 included.

I know what it's like having more than one interface in the same pc (1820m and DS2416). With asio, I can only use one or the other but not both simultaneously, but the DS2416 offers that sexy 02R compression in it's DSP along with other fx, I can use it as an outboard processor of sorts since it has control software that allows me to operate it independently of the 1820m.

In a nutshell, if you are going to add a new interface, just make sure that it adds capability to your system. Make sure to judge its merits carefully if all you're adding is only a stereo pair of I/O; I'd be more inclined to get 4 or more channels of I/O, although the guitar capable input does give one added features, though.

hth,

Offline RATBUMAN

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2008, 05:04:39 AM »
Try finding an FMR RNP - Really Nice Preamp.  These go for about 350 -400 dollars used.  The preamp sounds very good and is comparable to the 1000 dollar preamps. The sound is definitely better thant the pres of my Tascam FW 1884. With a good set of mics and this pre you can't go wrong for that price.  Google the FMR RNP and there are no bad reviews about this preamp.  My 2 cents. Thanks.

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2008, 03:35:25 PM »
Try finding an FMR RNP - Really Nice Preamp.  These go for about 350 -400 dollars used.  The preamp sounds very good and is comparable to the 1000 dollar preamps. The sound is definitely better thant the pres of my Tascam FW 1884. With a good set of mics and this pre you can't go wrong for that price.  Google the FMR RNP and there are no bad reviews about this preamp.  My 2 cents. Thanks.

Thanks man! yeah I've been checkin out some of the setups of our brothers here in philmusic and also did a search on preamps over at the forums and saw one. might be yours hehehe anyway, yeah I'll check them out. I'm very open to anything out there.

So far the only thing I was checking out was the SSL Alpha but I have yet to hear how it sounds.

On the other hand, I'm also considering like getting a multi input firewire interface instead like the Ultralite but of course everything's to be given more thought.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »
So far the only thing I was checking out was the SSL Alpha but I have yet to hear how it sounds.

I think Shinji and Marvin have one (or 2). It's an SSL... how can you go wrong with that?

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2008, 05:15:32 AM »
I think Shinji and Marvin have one (or 2). It's an SSL... how can you go wrong with that?

though I'm sure they have those super high end ones hehehe Pero totoo. should go check em out! Thanks sir, kit!  :-D

Offline RATBUMAN

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2008, 07:59:16 AM »
Another good interface with good AD/DA converters and decent preamps would be an Apogee Duet. I have one and it sounds really good.  I have AB this Duet with the FW1884 preamps and the Duets pres are hands down better. Another good thing about this is that it is portable and you get the quality AD/DA converters that Apogee is well known for. This is a good option if you use a Mac computer and use not more than 2 inputs at once.  Duets go for 495 brand new and around 400 dollars used. When the Duets first came out, they sold like hotcakes.

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2008, 12:27:29 AM »
In a nutshell, if you are going to add a new interface, just make sure that it adds capability to your system. Make sure to judge its merits carefully if all you're adding is only a stereo pair of I/O; I'd be more inclined to get 4 or more channels of I/O, although the guitar capable input does give one added features, though.

hth,

Exactly...  You don't want to be stacked with surplus equipment...

Example...
1 M-Audio DELTA 1010...

a couple of mic preamps...

PRO TOOLS software...

add 1 Projectmix I/O = 1 surplus DELTA 1010 
(you cant use more than one interface in Pro Tools plus since one unit is PCI and one is firewire-based... There's a big chance of clocking issues.. hence, jittering...)

Good thing we can setup another studio in the other house...I would hate to see gear wasted...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:29:51 AM by bloodshedd »
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline carl20

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2008, 10:13:17 AM »
ok po ba to mga masters?

COMBOWORKS