hulika

Author Topic: Zoom G3Xn + G3n Multi Effects Processor  (Read 32588 times)

Offline broduo

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Zoom G3Xn + G3n
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »
"Positivity 2018 No Negativity"

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 06:42:06 PM »

bumili din ako kanina lang.. (not my pic)
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline tinjus311

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »

bumili din ako kanina lang.. (not my pic)

saan and hm?

Offline boybawang

• Netizen Level
Zoom G3Xn + G3n Mini Review
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 10:00:16 AM »
Like I said in a previous post, I recently bought a G3XN unit from Japan (thanks to my sis) and now I finally have it. Now, I would like to share a mini review of it and what I liked and didn't like about it. I would also like to thank the guys who posted the OSAKA, JAPAN Guitar Shopping guide . It was a big help to my sister  when she wen shopping for it :)

I must say first, I'm far from being a pro both in guitar playing and gear knowledge. I've only had a few pedals (zoom 2020/4040, boss & denio pedals) in my lifetime and although I learned guitar 16+ years ago, I never really progressed that much :D  :oops:

I'll be not doing a video demo of the tones as there are already tons of them on Youtube and I think it's safe to say that the G5n / G3n / G3xn tones are superior to their predecessors. Also, I don't have the proper video/audio recording gear :D

Price:
20,000 yen (roughly 8,800 pesoses)
I got an offer for a brand new unit here in the Philippines for 10, 200 pesoses.

Primary uses and other gears to be used in conjunction with the unit:
Church
I'll be primarily using this at church direct to PA (a very old Fender Passport 250 system).

Home
I'm using a cheap 10-watt practice amp and a Blackstar ID:Core 20-watt amp

My guitars are a Tokai Strat and a Macsmith strat with Duncan designed pickups (SC101 et al)

The Good
  • The unit feels sturdy. The footswitches seem heavy duty. Although, it may take some getting-used to for the 3 unusually-shaped switches below the main 3.
  • The amp sims and cabs are good to my ears both on the PA and the amps. The manual said to turn the "MIC" on the cab sims off when connecting to PA's or consoles but even if we have a worn out PA, it still sounds decent either way.
  • I was apprehensive that they removed the XLR out, but even with a long cable run, I didn't notice signal loss. Maybe it has some impedence matching built in?
  • Creating a patch is a breeze. I didn't even have to read the manual. Well, I can't coz it's in Japanese  :cute:
  • There's a patch level and master level setting
  • Zoom really took some time to study / implement how certain pedals work depending on the order in the chain. E.g. The difference between placing a volume pedal at the start of the chain and somewhere else along the chain. Same with the placements of reverbs, delays, comps etc.
  • While the delays and reverbs are not as pristine as a strymon  :roll: they are adequate to our needs. 99% of the church attendees won't even tell the difference  :-D . In the case of timed effects like delays, you can switch to note-style + using the tap tempo instead of setting the "numeric" time. You just need to turn the knob past the max value of the time parameter (like in g3x)

The Bad
  • You can't assign the expression pedal to any effect parameter!  :cry: . That's because there are pre-made effects in which the pedal is automatically assigned and you're stuck with those
  • Not that I'll be likely to use the looper in church, but the looper for me is almost useless. It's treated like an effect and it takes up an effect slot (per patch). It's not global. Plus, if you switch to another patch, the loop stops  <_<. Also, I cried when I played a recorded loop and then turned on another effect within  a patch (or if you're in stompbox mode), the newly-turned on effect "affected" the recorded loop. ! E.g. You recorded using only the acoustic guitar effect, then played the loop, then turned on your delay/reverb, the delay/reverb is applied to the currently playing loop.
  • Remember the you can switch to note-style + using the tap tempo instead of setting the "numeric" time above? Well, the sensitivity of the Time knob on the delays is so low, that you're likely to spend literally a minute or two turning it to the max value in order to switch to note-style. If anyone knows how of another way, please do tell.

Verdict
Am I disappointed with it? Not really. Again, that's a matter of opinion and the use-case for it. We're using it at church and we're not like Hillsong-type of worship team (yet)
Will I recommend it to a friend? Likely but again, it depends on what that friend intends to use it for.
Did I get the most bang for my buck? Yes.
That's all for now. I'll post more after a spend more time on the unit.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:13:43 AM by boybawang »

Offline Kennyadry

Re: Zoom G3Xn + G3n Mini Review
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
You recorded using only the acoustic guitar effect, then played the loop, then turned on your delay/reverb, the delay/reverb is applied to the currently playing loop. [/li][/list]

I think you need to put the looper at the very end of the signal chain so solve this.
"I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.”

Offline broduo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
may 2.1 na yata na update..for g3...not sure 2.1 or 3 basta may latest.. already updated mine last saturday
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »
Got one. Chose a g3n over the g5n coz i need something small and light

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2017, 09:30:43 PM »
I was fed up with lugging a pedalboard, so bought one at JB for 11,800 petots.
After tinkering with it a few days here are some tips for new g3xn users out there:

Remember: The flow of the effects is from left to right. They ARE Japanese, after all.

1. Three screen scroll tip: "surf" along the active patch, as you press scroll up/scroll down, create patches on right location to activate the patch you want (example:  change from patch 1 bank 1 to patch 1 bank 2 by using scroll up).

2. Save on DSP by putting drums before looper, then deleting after you have recorded the rhythm loop/drum part. (yeah, looper and drum machine ARE effects types, just create a patch for solo home jams)

3. I have observed they put ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction) in between Amp models and Cabinet models, and also the manual says tum cab "mic" on when using using headphones/monitors, the sound changes but i cannot discern a real, predictable and useful effect though, use your ears, yours might be better than mine.

4. Scroll between effects types on a patch by pressing on one type button and pressing the other. Says so in the manual. Took me a week to find out hehe.

5. Master level is way too loud, start on low volume as you might damage your ear or worse your speakers, you'll get by around 20-30.

6. Put a small patch of rubber below the wah pedal, as you cannot activate the button below your pedal at will if you do not do so. I used an old TC Electronic rubber foot, used super glue, retained (fixed tightly) the 2 square rubbers on both sides to act as cushion and not damage the teenie weeny button. If you do not do so youll have to always activate your pedal by going from memory mode to pedalboard mode.

7. Watch your DSP, you have to make a few patches, coz DSP on this line is limited. I imagine G5ns user do not have a great advantage since even they will have extra slots (9 instead of only 7 on g3xn) extra ;window" the DSP limit is the same on this batch, which is LIMITED. Maybe they can compress their data on future software upgrades? Probably not.

8. Update you list of effects using the software from Zooms Website. Haven used the custom patches though. Maybe I'd try it next week.

Gigged it, so far, it is great. Love the EP Boost, The Goldrive (Klon?), The Matchless Amp, Fender Twin and the trippy modulations.

I'm back to zoom, my first was a GFX3 but has gone analog after. But now man the tech sure has developed. Do i dare say its is really warm, just try two Gold drives pushing a macthless witha little trem or a vibe..Astig!

Post you own tips! Share your knowledge dudes!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:33:03 PM by marcus_gloom »

Offline boybawang

• Netizen Level
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 09:34:03 AM »
I was fed up with lugging a pedalboard, so bought one at JB for 11,800 petots.
After tinkering with it a few days here are some tips for new g3xn users out there:

Remember: The flow of the effects is from left to right. They ARE Japanese, after all.

1. Three screen scroll tip: "surf" along the active patch, as you press scroll up/scroll down, create patches on right location to activate the patch you want (example:  change from patch 1 bank 1 to patch 1 bank 2 by using scroll up).

2. Save on DSP by putting drums before looper, then deleting after you have recorded the rhythm loop/drum part. (yeah, looper and drum machine ARE effects types, just create a patch for solo home jams)

3. I have observed they put ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction) in between Amp models and Cabinet models, and also the manual says tum cab "mic" on when using using headphones/monitors, the sound changes but i cannot discern a real, predictable and useful effect though, use your ears, yours might be better than mine.

4. Scroll between effects types on a patch by pressing on one type button and pressing the other. Says so in the manual. Took me a week to find out hehe.

5. Master level is way too loud, start on low volume as you might damage your ear or worse your speakers, you'll get by around 20-30.

6. Put a small patch of rubber below the wah pedal, as you cannot activate the button below your pedal at will if you do not do so. I used an old TC Electronic rubber foot, used super glue, retained (fixed tightly) the 2 square rubbers on both sides to act as cushion and not damage the teenie weeny button. If you do not do so youll have to always activate your pedal by going from memory mode to pedalboard mode.

7. Watch your DSP, you have to make a few patches, coz DSP on this line is limited. I imagine G5ns user do not have a great advantage since even they will have extra slots (9 instead of only 7 on g3xn) extra ;window" the DSP limit is the same on this batch, which is LIMITED. Maybe they can compress their data on future software upgrades? Probably not.

8. Update you list of effects using the software from Zooms Website. Haven used the custom patches though. Maybe I'd try it next week.

Gigged it, so far, it is great. Love the EP Boost, The Goldrive (Klon?), The Matchless Amp, Fender Twin and the trippy modulations.

I'm back to zoom, my first was a GFX3 but has gone analog after. But now man the tech sure has developed. Do i dare say its is really warm, just try two Gold drives pushing a macthless witha little trem or a vibe..Astig!

Post you own tips! Share your knowledge dudes!

Thanks for the tips sir!
Agreed. Master level is too loud. I'm just running at 18 in church and it's already plenty loud (100-pax venue) and my volume at the PA is just at 10 o'clock lols

1. The amp sims occupy 2 slots if I observed correctly. So, basically, if you use an amp sim, you're left with 5 slots to work with

2. I always have MIC ON for cabs whether using amp or headphone. When using MIC OFF (with amp or headphone) the sound is not good to my ears

3. The 3 plastic switches below are not so ergonomic for me when I'm wearing my leather shoes. No biggie but sometimes i just opt to remove my shoes hoping nobody would notice  :cute:

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 09:49:02 PM »
Bought the g3xn, but now i'm gassing for the G5n...hehehe

Offline mong-khiye

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »
mga sir kumusta firmware update ng g3xn? yung looper ba naka global na? or ganun pa din pag nag palit ng patch nag ooff? actually planning to buy this unit later, concern lang ako masyado sa looper. ginagamit ko kasi yun pag live. salamat po.

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 09:45:33 AM »
mga sir kumusta firmware update ng g3xn? yung looper ba naka global na? or ganun pa din pag nag palit ng patch nag ooff? actually planning to buy this unit later, concern lang ako masyado sa looper. ginagamit ko kasi yun pag live. salamat po.
[/quote

Looper is still not global. Effect lang talaga siya. Pati Drums effect din.

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »
upgraded my g3xn to 1.1, but i am gassing for that g5n.

i haven't used looper so i can't tell.

Offline broduo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 10:40:51 PM »

Offline broduo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »

Offline broduo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »

Offline broduo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 10:51:39 AM »

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 06:53:24 PM »
I just din an AB test with my multi stomp. And the g3xn's amps and drives sound more realistic. I like it more than some of my boss analog pedals. Its blasphemous. I know

Offline broduo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2017, 08:48:55 AM »
I just din an AB test with my multi stomp. And the g3xn's amps and drives sound more realistic. I like it more than some of my boss analog pedals. Its blasphemous. I know

:)

Offline broduo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2017, 08:28:52 AM »

Offline broduo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2017, 08:29:51 PM »