hulika

Author Topic: Drumset Tuning and Head Selection thread  (Read 144766 times)

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
tuning drums a 5th from each other
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 01:43:10 PM »
it means that, for example, you tune your small rack tom to the note of C, then the succeding rack or floor tom should be tuned G (or A nga ba? im confused din. hehe.) kasi C is "do" in "do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-ti-do", and G is "sol".

ganun yung concept nyan.

but i must stress for my sake na di ako drum guru. medyo alam ko lang kasi ung concept kaya i decided to chip in.

hehehe...

have a nice day... :D

p.s. i learned this from gregg bissonette's "musical drumming in different styles" DVD. napaka-informative nun.

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 02:06:23 PM »
i think i understand sir pmack i think A dapat after ng C for 5th intervals... i tried using 4ths using ung sabi mo
 i figured eto dapat tuning
12x10 - A#
13x12  - C# (if this was 14x12 it would be F)
16x14 - C (almost an octave below the 13" tom prang mali)
22x16 - F below C#
14x5.5 snare - G above A#(12x10)

based ko po ito sa tuning bible v.3

tama ba kung ito gawin ko?

wag na po flame kasi po n00b pa tlga ako  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :oops:
matututo kaya ako magdrums? kelan kaya iyon...

need gear: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=28593

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 02:06:28 PM »
before you start learning about intervals, how do you determine what note your tom is on or any of your drums for the matter?

if you have a way to determine that, please enlighten

then its all ABC easy as 123, reciting the fifth note down from your first tom.

if tom1 is tuned to C then your next tom would have to be tuned to G.

gets po? C, D, E, F, G. G yung fifth interval from C

now were back to doh, a deer, a female deer, fa a long long way to ruuun...come sing with now... :oops:

intervals are easy enough, IF you know what note to start from, so kung nalaman mo kung pano, post mo dito ha  :D di ko rin alam e

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 02:07:11 PM »
waah bilis nyo magreply ah. iniisip ko pa yung song sa sound of music nakareply na agad kayo  :cry:

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 02:11:34 PM »
@ sir peeves:  un nga sunod kong tanong sir eh ehehehe... di ba mababasa ng isang mic ang frequency ng isa drum? i mean i know sa guitar A string = 440hz... though malayo ang strings sa "noise" ng drums im still wondering kung may mababasang frequency from a drum head. kasi kung ganon i can just write a simple program that could read frequencies off a microphone...

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 02:16:23 PM »
i wish it were that simple but the drums are relatively pitched instruments and not absolute pitched like guitars and pianos (where you can reference that concert tone A440).

then again, why dont we see digital drum tuners on sale?

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 02:25:22 PM »
oohh just in case somebody mentions the drum dial or the tama tension watch...they are not tuners in the sense that they do not determine a fundamental note. they measure the tension of the head only

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 02:39:38 PM »
yeah i saw those drum dials too... which again brings me to my next question... is it better to tune the drums tension wise rather than trying to tune it to a particular note? i mean lets say i got the tension on each lug of my 12" to lets say 12n/m(-1) then if i tune the 13 and 16 lugs at the same tension would they be in sync? i mean have that 1-2-5 thing going? next question would then be what tension/s would be best for a particular drum... (as i type this my mind goes...: well the answer to my question is personal preference) lol

i just went around a full circle... so lemme change this to guys help me TUNE my drums, my sizes are 12-13-16-22 14 snare, play alternative to rock... help  :cry:

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 02:45:12 PM »
well, it is possible.
pero i dont know what instrument or apparatus they use for it.
danny carey of tool tunes his drums to the key of C (or is it E, i forgot pero nasa june 2006 modern drummer magazine) para malapit sa most tool songs.
di lang niya nabanggit yung intervals between his toms.

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 02:53:15 PM »
Quote from: g0d5_g1ft
yeah i saw those drum dials too... which again brings me to my next question... is it better to tune the drums tension wise rather than trying to tune it to a particular note? i mean lets say i got the tension on each lug of my 12" to lets say 12n/m(-1) then if i tune the 13 and 16 lugs at the same tension would they be in sync? i mean have that 1-2-5 thing going? next question would then be what tension/s would be best for a particular drum... (as i type this my mind goes...: well the answer to my question is personal preference) lol

i just went around a full circle... so lemme change this to guys help me TUNE my drums, my sizes are 12-13-16-22 14 snare, play alternative to rock... help  :cry:

to make it easier, i think you should tune to your OWN preference.
kasi if you tune by tension, maaring ok yung sound pero hindi mo naman gusto. if you tune by note, baka naman di kayanin ng heads kung masyado mataas o mababa na. meron din silang upside pareho, like when you tune to head tension using a drumdial, laging uniform ung sound ng drums mo which is good. when you tune by note naman, parang kumakanta yung drums mo so ok din.

pero personally, i tune to my ears'. kasi mas ok ung mas masaya ka sa sound ng drums mo more than anyone else. again, not that im a drum guru. i still spend about 1 hour or more on tuning just one tom. pero when i hit that sweet spot, it makes the time spent tuning it worthwhile. and ang laki talaga ng naitutulong ng drum tuning bible about sa tuning.

on a somewhat related topic:

billy ward even uses those wireless electric drills na may lug key sa dulo. tapos pag medyo ok na ung sound ng toms niya, saka na lang niya fine-tune with a drum key. he doesnt tune using notes or certain tension settings. mas mataas pa nga yung pagtono niya ng small tom niya kesa sa snare drum niya. im surprised ang ganda ng sound sa videoclips niya sa drummerworld. live sound yun without effects or compression.

- - - sorry napahaba. ang sarap magwento eh. pasintabi sa mga nainis.

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2006, 02:58:33 PM »
Tuning your drum from a specific note is a Bull. Sorry. A tom sound is composed of many frequencies. That's why there's what we call overtone coz some frequencies are not on the same scale. So the result is sound waves clashes together which gives you an annoying sound. The drum will sound with a specific note (Almost) if it has only one drumhead.
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline Eni

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2006, 03:16:48 PM »
to reduce buzzing,tune 1st ur high tom really low.

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2006, 03:22:20 PM »
@ sir sandy: i agree that soundwaves clash inside the drum to effectively discount the possibility of clearly tuning a drum to a particular note... but still how come may people do that sir? just confused...

@ sir eni: will ty that however my highest tom is a 12x10 and i have it tuned just above the wrinkle point... maybe i should tune higher... dunno i'll experiment later...

thanks for the replies guys

Offline Eni

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2006, 04:12:29 PM »
tune ur snare higher than ur high tom.

Offline Miggleness

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2006, 11:12:55 PM »
I believe that a drum will have an initial note when hit, after nun  overtones na.

I use the ibanez metronome/tuner /w mic to know kung anong note yung nilalabas sa initial hit sa drum.  I would tune by 3-4 notes (2 inch interval ang size ng toms).  Its the same with a guitar string, may overtones pero may isang dominant note.

Prob ko, I couldn't get to tune the head by itself properly. Tsktsk.

Pao.M, di pa tayo nakakapagkita para dito. try mo. hehe. tapos turuan mo ko magdrums!

Sandy, sna marinig ko na drums mo!  bummer, di pa din napapapalitan yung 16" floor ko.

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2006, 03:38:55 AM »
Quote from: Miggleness
I believe that a drum will have an initial note when hit, after nun  overtones na.

I use the ibanez metronome/tuner /w mic to know kung anong note yung nilalabas sa initial hit sa drum.  I would tune by 3-4 notes (2 inch interval ang size ng toms).  Its the same with a guitar string, may overtones pero may isang dominant note.

Pao.M, di pa tayo nakakapagkita para dito. try mo. hehe. tapos turuan mo ko magdrums!

Sandy, sna marinig ko na drums mo!  bummer, di pa din napapapalitan yung 16" floor ko.

ako ba si pao m. na tinutukoy mo? m din kasi start ng surname ko. just in case hindi ako, i apologize, hehehe...

i agree with you pare. the same with guitar strings, may overtones din naman sila. kailangan mo lang pakinggan yung ubang tono na lalabas bago magkaron ng overtones. hehehe.

share ko lang itong maliit na part sa interview ng MD kay danny carey:

MD: Why do you generally play with the snares off?

Danny Carey: I do that about half the time. I just like the sound with the snares turned off. It's not quite so intrusive on the high end. I do like to go back and forth for instance, turning the snares off for a verse and turning them on for s chorus.
 ... And I have a new Designer Series kit from SONOR. I designed the shells out of specific woods and thickness and it turned out amazing. The wood is from the South American rain forest. It's called "Aniba Ayahuascus Rosaedora".

MD: how do you tune such a unique set of drums?

Danny Carey: The bottom head is usually higher. on the toms, the difference is maye a fifth or fourth higher. on the floor toms, it's not quite as much, maybe a third.

MD: Are your top heads generally loose or tight?

Danny Carey: fairly tight. I'm going for definite pitches, and i like the drums to sing. i love sustain. I usually try to tune them to the triad of the songs we're recording. ninety percent of tool songs are in D, so i tune the toms D, F, and A. i try to hit the pitches of the triad because when they're in tune wth the songs, they sound bigger and fuller.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2006, 08:04:10 AM »
^^^ kaw lang pao.m dito pre...pao.v ako  :wink:

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 08:07:57 AM »

really? i have to try that ibanez tuner. i own a seiko, my friend has a matrix and then i tried the korg dtr1 rack mount tuner and none of the 3 can pick up a note from the drums.

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2006, 10:27:47 AM »
Quote from: peeves24
^^^ kaw lang pao.m dito pre...pao.v ako  :wink:

ay, sorry ser....
hehehe//

pa re-cut ha... :D

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2006, 12:09:16 PM »

so it is possible to capture the initial tone hehehe try ko sumulat ng program for this, capture only about the first 1/2 sec of the input to avoid capturing the overtones, may be boost the sound input too... hmmm gagana kaya to? hehehe

@ sir migs if the toms are 1 inch apart then the interval would only be about 1 to 3 notes right, given i try to tune 5ths?

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »
Quote from: pmack

Danny Carey: fairly tight. I'm going for definite pitches, and i like the drums to sing. i love sustain. I usually try to tune them to the triad of the songs we're recording. ninety percent of tool songs are in D, so i tune the toms D, F, and A. i try to hit the pitches of the triad because when they're in tune wth the songs, they sound bigger and fuller.

hmmm does this mean then that say i tune to a note and the song is in standard E, i'd tune my highest tom to E then go from there..?

O/T: i tuned my toms last night and i now have very minimal overtones, the intervals are ok, they are low just above wrinkles... im just curious about this tuning to a note thing, thinking i can tune better with this idea...

Offline fredzs

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2006, 01:22:03 PM »
@all

Go Listen to Reflection by Tool from the LAteralUS album. Listen how his toms contribute so much to the song :)

Offline Miggleness

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2006, 12:05:02 AM »
korek... si pao.m at si pao.v.
pareho pa ata paopao ang YM nyo kung di ako nagkakamali. hehe.

Hirap talaga magtono ng drums.  Unlike sa gitara na 2 lang ang p-problemahin mo, tighten or loosen.

sa drums ang daming factors.
Una yung hoop, round pa ba ang hoop mo?
NExt yung bearing edges, maayos pa ba?
Third yung tamang pag-apply ng even tension sa lugs.
Finally, yung overtones na sobrang lakas di mo na maget kung alin ang dominant note.

nabasa ko somewhere na its impossible to tune a drum na talagang pare-pareho ang tunog when you hit the head an inch from the hoop.  So don't be an ass when tuning it.  

Ginagawa ko na ngayon pini-pindot ko yung head mga 1 inch from the hoop. Tapos kung parang masmalalim yung isang side compared sa kabila, adjust ko.  di ko na pinapakinggan yung tunog. Kasi naman bolokers ng drums ko, may parts na patay ang tunog.

Offline marko21

• Philmusicus Addictus
Tanong lang (bass drums, room acoustics, tabs...)
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2006, 10:10:59 AM »
-pano ba mag-tune ng bass drum ng tama? - ung sakin kasi parang tunog nung sa parada masyadong malaki ung tunog.

-ano rin ba pedeng ilagay sa kwarto para di marinig ng kapit bahay?

-san ba merong mga tabs ng opm (esp. urbandub)?

*Title edited by moderator.

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Tanong lang
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2006, 10:58:10 AM »
-pano ba mag-tune ng bass drum ng tama? - ung sakin kasi parang tunog nung sa parada masyadong malaki ung tunog.

sir baka masyado mahigpit yung batter head mo(yung tinatamaan ng pedal)

-ano rin ba pedeng ilagay sa kwarto para di marinig ng kapit bahay?

sir punta ka mga studio.. tignan mo kung ano2 mga nilalagay nila kaso may kamahalan ang gastos dun tsaka kaylangan mo ng aircon pag ganun.

-san ba merong mga tabs ng opm (esp. urbandub)?
[/quote]
tabs saan? guitar? try mo www.guitartabs.cc[/quote]
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....