hulika

Author Topic: Guitar legends/ icons as session players for pop artists  (Read 7680 times)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Guitar legends/ icons as session players for pop artists
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »
Guys, please provide videos if there's any. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:14:32 PM by guitarwiz02 »
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
The title says it all. Post vids here. :razz: The guitar player should be seen on the video.

Eddie Van Halen playing for Michael Jackson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Vr4OhqmJ0&feature=related

Dweezil Zappa playing for Don Johnson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULI5kolBpAk

Nuno Bettencourt playing for Rihanna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQz60cLMhtU&feature=related

Bumblefoot playing for Orelsan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48nLriCh2WE&feature=related

Guthrie Govan playing for Dizee Rascal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8g3vJ4VJZ0&feature=related

Steve Vai playing for Nelly Furtado
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFa2OG8TXRY&feature=related

Andy Timmons playing for Olivia Newton-John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7avVLwE-Sw&feature=related

Greg Howe playing for N'SYNC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTmTfaC43s

Brett Garsed playing for John Farnham
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5uCVXtJwN8&feature=related

Eric Clapton playing for Phil Collins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsz8xLZCoPI

I think the more notable ones are Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour and  Steve Lukather - These three are among the most recorded guitar players on the planet. They literally have thousands of session recordings for other artists between them.

On a fancier note... Eric Johnson played for Christopher Cross on a number of albums.  :)

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »

I think the more notable ones are Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour and  Steve Lukather - These three are among the most recorded guitar players on the planet. They literally have thousands of session recordings for other artists between them.

On a fancier note... Eric Johnson played for Christopher Cross on a number of albums.  :)

True. But the problem is, there are no videos of these cats playing as sessionists, that are readily available..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:27:45 PM by guitarwiz02 »
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »
True. But the problem is, there are no videos of these cats readily available playing as sessionists.

Well they are studio cats that's why but its really fun if you can recognize the players in recordings. It's the ultimate blindfold test haha!

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »
Well they are studio cats that's why but its really fun if you can recognize the players in recordings. It's the ultimate blindfold test haha!

I do recognize Carlton and Lukather's "voices", but it's quite hard for me to distinguish Ritenour's. I don't know, anybody can just sound like him I guess. That's just my opinion, of course.

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 03:43:54 PM »
I do recognize Carlton and Lukather's "voices", but it's quite hard for me to distinguish Ritenour's. I don't know, anybody can just sound like him I guess. That's just my opinion, of course.

Lee's phrasing is more linear than Larry's or Steve's. Look for the album Larry and Lee one of the best duet guitar albums I've heard.

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
Lee's phrasing is more linear than Larry's or Steve's. Look for the album Larry and Lee one of the best duet guitar albums I've heard.

on linear note  :lol:, i think Luke played guitar on Lee's album twice, if i remember during late 70s and late 80's
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »
Mike Landau & Kirk Fletcher played for Michele Branch. Landau with James Taylor. Philip Sayce with Jeff Healey then with Melissa Etheridge. Oz Noy with Gavin Degraw.

Here's Landau: 

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
Yan Landau another super hero of mine hehe!

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »
Jimmy Page played or did recording sessions with a lot of UK artists/groups in the 60s
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »
Noel Mendez played for the late Francis M. and for Sampaguita (yata?)

Offline hiskoolstudes

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 09:09:29 PM »
How about Lenny Kravitz on a Madonna performance:?

LF:
Ibanez Musician Bass

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 09:15:34 AM »
How about Lenny Kravitz on a Madonna performance:?

Nice! :razz:

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »
Jimmy Page played or did recording sessions with a lot of UK artists/groups in the 60s

He once played for The Kinks.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
Mike Landau & Kirk Fletcher played for Michele Branch. Landau with James Taylor. Philip Sayce with Jeff Healey then with Melissa Etheridge. Oz Noy with Gavin Degraw.

Here's Landau: 

Mike also played for Wilson Phillips and eventually became Chynna's lover.

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 03:30:49 PM »

how about Steve Stevens with Billy Idol  :lol:
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »
Jeff Beck for jon bonjovi (young guns OST album)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »

how about Steve Stevens with Billy Idol  :lol:

Bro, Steve Stevens was not a session guitar player for Billy Idol. Stevens was and still is a member of the Billy Idol band. :)

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »
Bro, Steve Stevens was not a session guitar player for Billy Idol. Stevens was and still is a member of the Billy Idol band. :)

akala ko sessionista lang sya dyan he used to play with Vince Neil before and also play with Madonna once

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 04:13:25 PM »
Jeff Beck for jon bonjovi (young guns OST album)

The funny thing is, Jon hated Beck's guitar solo on "Blaze of Glory". He thought the solo was too tamed for a cowboy-themed song. When Jon Bon Jovi was about to air his complaint, he suddenly realized that it was after all, still a Jeff Beck solo. There's just no way he'd complain over that.haha!

Here's Jon Bon Jovi's "Miracle". Jeff Beck appears on the solo spot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnM9WEha5E0&ob=av2e
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:17:03 AM by guitarwiz02 »

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2012, 04:16:28 PM »
akala ko sessionista lang sya dyan he used to play with Vince Neil before and also play with Madonna once

Yung kay Vince Neil long after na nung kay Billy Idol and Atomic Playboyz yun.

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »
Mike also played for Wilson Phillips and eventually became Chynna's lover.

That's true pero Mike played for everybody. Para ring si Jeff Beck, almost not worth mentioning dito sa thread sa haba ng list ng session work. Chances are if anyone has listened to radio, watched TV or seen a movie, they've already heard Landau without knowing it. I like that vid because he had freedom to play what he wanted. It's rare to see him play live with a slide then later he showed his hendrix side too on the outro (Voodoo Vibe goodness!).

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 06:40:25 AM »
Jimi Hendrix played/recorded for Little Richard before Jimi got famous himself.

There's also Eric Clapton with Babyface
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:44:48 AM by bryvincent »

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 08:08:19 AM »
does a live session count? i just remember this one. one of my favorite les paul tone. smooth

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »
does a live session count? i just remember this one. one of my favorite les paul tone. smooth

Yes, of course.