hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296939 times)

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #1075 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:44 PM »
any idea kung may available dito sa local stores natin na 2-4 channels with mic pre usb interface? wala akong idea e. gagamitin sana sa pagrecord ng drums. yung capable na magrecord sa DAW ng 4 individual tracks ng sabay sabay? and yung price range...

Offline dr.distance

« Reply #1076 on: January 24, 2013, 10:03:41 AM »
Since hum is not present when nothing is plugged in, suspect your cable or even your guitar.

Are you using single coil pups? Try changing positions. Move away from the pc when recording. Even try changing your angle when facing the pc. Single coils are notorious for picking up noise and hum. If using humbuckers, then suspect your guitar cable. Usb cables send out data so noise is not necessarily a problem with them.

Btw, are you using a laptop? If so, try recoding using batteries instead of A/C power. Laptop power bricks also give out a LOT of noise because of their switching power supplies. PCs also have switching power supplies, but if the case is made of steel and completely closed, there shouldn't be much EMI/RFI present.
I'm on humbuckers, tried different angles, even moving away quite a bit from the stuff when starting to record. I'm on a laptop yes, and its a Mac so its made out of steel instead of plastic like other ones.

I'll try to borrow some better cables from a friend, both USB and instrument cables just to test it out. The ones I'm using are pretty cheap ones, but I'm starting to suspect its the USB because the G2 can also use the USB to power itself in the absence of other power sources. I never record using USB power, but I think that could be causing some interference?

If all else fails and it really is just the Zoom's USB power causing the hum, I might get a guitar link instead. Thanks for the input guys!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1077 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »
I'm on a laptop yes, and its a Mac so its made out of steel instead of plastic like other ones.

Actually aluminum but I'm just pickin' on details.

USB power normally does not convey noise to a device because it is DC. Unless your mac's power supply is shorting itself to the case, only then should you get some hum, which is very unlikely. A bad usb cable often results in the device not being recognized or not working altogether. Worse, it could get burned out when the power carrying wires short with the data wires, which happens when the cable is very much physically stressed.

Look for other sources of noise like flourescent light or anything with transformers in your recording area. Btw, you didn't identify what kind of noise it is. It could also be digital noise if you have very low buffer settings.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline dr.distance

« Reply #1078 on: January 24, 2013, 01:11:04 PM »
Actually aluminum but I'm just pickin' on details.

USB power normally does not convey noise to a device because it is DC. Unless your mac's power supply is shorting itself to the case, only then should you get some hum, which is very unlikely. A bad usb cable often results in the device not being recognized or not working altogether. Worse, it could get burned out when the power carrying wires short with the data wires, which happens when the cable is very much physically stressed.

Look for other sources of noise like flourescent light or anything with transformers in your recording area. Btw, you didn't identify what kind of noise it is. It could also be digital noise if you have very low buffer settings.
Lolyeah, my mistake, aluminum  :) Hmm that clears things up some more on the USB cable/power front. I'll keep the area suggestion in mind and check it out too. Buffer settings, I wouldn't know where to check because Garageband just detects the Zoom immediately, and I'm fairly new to recording on my laptop and Garageband.

Here's a clip of the noise: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ch7ukj
I wouldn't know how to describe it really. All I know is that its not coming from the guitar, the Zoom's noise gate doesn't affect it, and the only way I can cut it is with the Garageband gate. In this clip it sounds really loud, Garageband must have upped the gain on it during the export, because in actual recording/playback its not that loud, very faint actually. (Unless I up the gain and not use the noise gate)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1079 on: January 25, 2013, 10:22:22 AM »
That is digital noise judging from the high pitch; I thought you meant a hum which would have been quite analog sounding. Somehow I think either your guitar or cable is picking up that digital hash. Try this... just leave the guitar cable attached to the zoom, without the guitar, and see if it picks up anything. If it does, replace it with a better guitar cable; the shielding may have been already compromised. If it doesn't, then it's possible that cheap usb cable is transmitting digital noise to the Zoom. When replacing the usb cable, look for one with a noise choke, those 'lump-in-a-line' kind of cable that looks similar to this:

Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline renkai0218

« Reply #1080 on: January 26, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
Hi guys, I already got my Samson CO1 condenser microphone and my M-Audio Fast Track from 2 of our forumers here.

However, I dont have a monitor or a headset that I can use. I thought I can use my computer speakers when playing what I have recorded but it seems doesn't work that way.

Any studio monitor or headphones that you can suggest? Is Superlux HD661 good enough as headphone?

Waaah! These studio monitors are quite expensive.  :-o
Succesful transactions with: brown, jem, followtheReaper, piekey, mzik_man, exia, sundayhigh, Sir Alex, peter_alistair,GAP,doc_12,josephrave,akosijm,diancarlo,caloy the man,Eraseyourhead,relyeboy,gitaristadaw,nickson

Offline dr.distance

« Reply #1081 on: January 26, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »
That is digital noise judging from the high pitch; I thought you meant a hum which would have been quite analog sounding. Somehow I think either your guitar or cable is picking up that digital hash. Try this... just leave the guitar cable attached to the zoom, without the guitar, and see if it picks up anything. If it does, replace it with a better guitar cable; the shielding may have been already compromised. If it doesn't, then it's possible that cheap usb cable is transmitting digital noise to the Zoom. When replacing the usb cable, look for one with a noise choke, those 'lump-in-a-line' kind of cable that looks similar to this:
To be fair, the clip's gain was turned up during the export, but imagine na lang still hearing that noise over your guitar parts. Eek. Anyway, I did as you suggested, even borrowed one of my friend's more expensive guitar cables and everything seems to be in order. The USB cable did come with a noise choke, its a 3ft cable from cd-r king lang.

What's interesting now is over the course of testing, I only just noticed it earlier that having the Zoom plugged in to the laptop doesn't generate the noise immediately, it only comes up when I tell GarageBand to start the USB Audio Codec driver.

Couldn't find a similar USB cable that's shorter than 3ft earlier in the malls though, so I couldn't rule out a bad cable, but that part with GarageBand seemed interesting.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1082 on: January 27, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »
What's interesting now is over the course of testing, I only just noticed it earlier that having the Zoom plugged in to the laptop doesn't generate the noise immediately, it only comes up when I tell GarageBand to start the USB Audio Codec driver.

3 ft/1 meter usb cables is about the max required standard. The noise intrusion, however, tells me that the Zoom doesn't seem to be shielded enough, or it's electronics is picking up EMI via the analog input. Used to be you could buy ferrite chokes in some electronics stores... maybe try to wrap one around the guitar cable? Have you also tried using the Zoom on a different computer, preferable pc? This would tell us if the zoom is part of the problem or not.

Offline dr.distance

« Reply #1083 on: January 27, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »
3 ft/1 meter usb cables is about the max required standard. The noise intrusion, however, tells me that the Zoom doesn't seem to be shielded enough, or it's electronics is picking up EMI via the analog input. Used to be you could buy ferrite chokes in some electronics stores... maybe try to wrap one around the guitar cable? Have you also tried using the Zoom on a different computer, preferable pc? This would tell us if the zoom is part of the problem or not.
I sold off my old desktop PC when I got my laptop, so that's one testing option out of the window. Not that I can test on a friend's PC sometime this week, which I'll try. Thanks for the input, learned stuff too. I'll check back in after I can test on it some more.

Offline chocotech27

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1084 on: February 06, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »
Mga sir ask ko lang nag ttry ako mag record using audacit...
walang sound na lumalabas,,

pero pag nagrecord na ko at click ko yung play may sound naman help naman po thanks!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1085 on: February 06, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »
Mga sir ask ko lang nag ttry ako mag record using audacit...
walang sound na lumalabas,,

anong soundcard mo?

Offline electronictokwa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1086 on: February 07, 2013, 06:24:18 AM »
Question mga sirs, will this work? Sensya newbie ako sa home recording hehe!

Guitar > GT-5 > Vox Pathfinder 15r (Line Output, Rear) > Laptop or desktop audio in port

Kakayanin ba ng software-based mixing ang recording or kelangan may tulong ng dedicated sound card? Since wala akong dedicated sound card, mas okay ba pag via USB? If so, anu ma recommend nio yung di ganun ka mahal  :-D

Salamat! 

Offline electronictokwa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1087 on: February 07, 2013, 06:25:42 AM »
Question mga sirs, will this work? Sensya newbie ako sa home recording hehe!

Guitar > GT-5 > Vox Pathfinder 15r (Line Output, Rear) > Laptop or desktop audio in port

Kakayanin ba ng software-based mixing ang recording or kelangan may tulong ng dedicated sound card? Since wala akong dedicated sound card, mas okay ba pag via USB? If so, anu ma recommend nio yung di ganun ka mahal  :-D

Salamat!

Teka, bakit hindi nalang galing GT-5 drecho PC?

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1088 on: February 10, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »
Help masters.

System overall volume (itunes, media players, etc) drops when opening a DAW.

How can I disable this? (My OS is win XP)

This only happens when I'm using my Interface (Presonus Audiobox), but everything is normal when using only the Onboard audio.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1089 on: February 10, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »
DAWs like to take exclusive control of audio since timing is very important for recording. Is the audiobox capable of asio and wdm modes of operation? Chances are, it's one OR the other. Very few interfaces support simultaneous operation with both drivers. This means that opening a DAW will most likely disable WDM mode in most cases. Unfortunately, media players use wdm. VLC can use asio, but asio does not like 'sharing'.

You could use the onboard audio strictly for wdm and the audiobox strictly for asio. You will need some kind of (sub)mixer to route the 2 separate outputs to your monitors though. If your monitors support dual inputs, then no problem.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1090 on: February 12, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »
Help masters.

System overall volume (itunes, media players, etc) drops when opening a DAW.

How can I disable this? (My OS is win XP)

This only happens when I'm using my Interface (Presonus Audiobox), but everything is normal when using only the Onboard audio.

Audiobox user here! Bro try mo rin icheck yung settings sa VSL

Offline alakdan7

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1091 on: February 13, 2013, 11:50:24 PM »
I am presently using Vegas Pro for multitrack recording and soundforge for some editing for connected to a 12 channel mixer were inputs are routed to the sources via multicore audio cable. I'm just using the built in audio card on the PC motherboard. Can you recommend any soundcard that would improve my system ? WHat equipment can I add/use to be able to do simultaneous multitrack recording in the PC. As of now I can only record one track at a time. My PC connection to the mixer is via stereo coax/rca cable only to the stereo output of the mixer. Can you suggest a better configuration with my system. One more thing is it ok to use all condenser mics on the drumset ?

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1092 on: February 14, 2013, 05:32:58 AM »
I am presently using Vegas Pro for multitrack recording and soundforge for some editing for connected to a 12 channel mixer were inputs are routed to the sources via multicore audio cable. I'm just using the built in audio card on the PC motherboard. Can you recommend any soundcard that would improve my system ? WHat equipment can I add/use to be able to do simultaneous multitrack recording in the PC. As of now I can only record one track at a time. My PC connection to the mixer is via stereo coax/rca cable only to the stereo output of the mixer. Can you suggest a better configuration with my system. One more thing is it ok to use all condenser mics on the drumset ?

Check out Tascam US-1800.

For drum mics, check out ones that you can buy as a set.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1093 on: February 14, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »

Presonus AB1818vsl nasa 25k sa distributor nito dito sa Pinas. :-)

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1094 on: February 14, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
Audiobox user here! Bro try mo rin icheck yung settings sa VSL
Ano yung VSL bro?  hehe

At ano pala mas magandang condenser mic dito sa dalawa:
Behringer C1 or Samson C01

Or may marerecommend ba kayong condenser mic na kapresyo rin nung dalawa?

thanks masters.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1095 on: February 14, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
sa Samson C01 ako.

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1096 on: February 23, 2013, 12:48:32 AM »
Is it possible than we can help other musicians by remotely accessing their desktops or laptops if there's configurations that needs to be adjusted, like in DAW's, etc.

We can use showmypc.com to remotely access the pc and we can communicate with notepad too.

I'm thinking that this is somehow a good way of fixing stuff that needs pro help.

Like me, I'm having issues with guitar rig that trying all the things google told me won't apply.

Any thoughts? Let's use our resources and help one another.

Offline albumin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1097 on: February 24, 2013, 03:43:31 AM »
hi! just wanna ask, magkano kaya yung aabutin ng isang good if not decent na cpu for recording? pasok na kaya ang 20k?

pang bedroom rockstar lang sana na kagaya ko. pang record lang ng guitars and maybe pang process ng backing tracks.

kaya ko kaya makakuha ng ganitong quality: http://thefoobirds.bandcamp.com/
Ibanez GRGA11 - Buskers Tele - Vox Pathfinder 15R - Maxon GX10

Offline zushikikato

« Reply #1098 on: February 24, 2013, 06:23:40 AM »
Help guys,

I want to record music from my digital piano. I have a laptop. This laptop does not have a line in port, I have read blogs online that if I'll record it straight through this port I will not produce high quality sounds because of the ports different frequencies. I don't want to spend too much for hardware but I can shell out some amount if it's really affordable like below 5K.. Any advice guys? My Digital Piano have a line out port and MIDI out port.

Thanks much!
Aspiring musician.  :)
The fighting is worth the love they'll save.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1099 on: February 24, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
@jake - while feasible, most computer musicians I know are very protective of their DAWs. Some go as far as making sure their DAWs are not directly connected to the internet. Of course, this is case-to-case, but you can only see so much remotely. In some instances, a bit of tinkering under the hood may be required. For ex., a few months ago, I helped fixed a celebrity's DAW by swapping out a firewire card. Aside from the IRQ conflict, turns out the card was becoming defective - and he already had another guy regularly looking after his gear! What wasn't readily apparent was the IRQ conflict which was causing this celeb's problem since the system was working fine before.

@albumin - If you have a fairly recent computer, notably a core i-series intel or even a recent AMD setup, you can already use those. Just make it a 2-drive system. I would put my money in a very good audio interface that can be easily migrated to a newer computer since computers usually become dated after about 18 months or so. Get a reliable usb or firewire interface for your 20k, and make sure it has enough input for your needs. You can get an internal card, but it has to be pcie since pci slots are becoming rare in recent motherboards.

@zushikat0 - what kind of laptop is this? most recent laptops I've seen have audio ports that change configuration according to whats plugged into them.