hulika

Author Topic: joy division...  (Read 4961 times)

Offline -nan-

joy division...
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »
this bands great especially the voice of ian curtis! :mrgreen:
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse" - Don Vito Corleone, The Godfather-

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: joy division...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 02:31:04 AM »
This band is so dreary and depressing that it makes the most legitimate and genuine-sounding emo and goth bands sound like polka. I fukkin' love this band.

Offline -nan-

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 03:47:52 AM »
i agree on that. well for me "atmosphere" is the most depressing and dark song of this band. most of the band right now like the killers, bloc party, interpol etc. got their sounds. :-D
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse" - Don Vito Corleone, The Godfather-

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 12:49:22 PM »
Joy Division can out-emo practically all the emo bands today. And, as by the tragic ending of the band, Ian Curtis really was not kidding - the darkness wasn't just for show.

Offline Stompbox

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:10:05 AM »
Bernard Sumner of New Order said a few years ago that they regretted not knowing what on earth Curtis was singing about.  If they bothered to read his lyrics, then things would have been different.

So musicians...always bother to know what your singer is singing about. hehe.

Stompworks Studios :: motion graphics.visual effects.web design.print     http://www.stompworks-studios.com

STEREODEAL  http://www.myspace.com/stereodeal

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »

"Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division was the number 1 song of Rolling Stone Magazine in 1980. The "Closer" album landed at Top 200 albums of the same magazine on its special edition of Top 500 albums of all time. Ian Curtis was voted as one of Mojo magazine's Top 100 music icons. Included in the list were John Lennon, Elvis Presley, David Bowie, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Marley, and a lot more.

Offline dreamhaus09

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »
Bernard Sumner of New Order said a few years ago that they regretted not knowing what on earth Curtis was singing about.  If they bothered to read his lyrics, then things would have been different.

So musicians...always bother to know what your singer is singing about. hehe.

Kapapanood ko lang kagabi ng movie na "Control". ngayon mas maiintindihan ko na yung mga "lyrics" ni Ian Curtis. 23 years old lang pla sya nung nag suicide sya. Deym :-(

www.ProjectSmithereen.lens.ph
500px.com/projectsmithereen Canon EOS 1000D | Canon a3100 IS

Offline ARTificial

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 11:07:07 PM »
Gusto ko rin sila!

trip ko yung music nila, ang galing! lalo na nung napanood ko yung life story ni ian curtis and the band. (dun sa mga hindi pa napapanood) try nyo panoorin! Sad story though.
parang iba talaga nung era nila. ang weird... pero astig :-D

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:08:34 PM by ARTificial »
The Dream is FREE, But the HUSTLE is sold separately

MOVE your Ass!

Offline astralasukal

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 07:49:56 AM »
disorder, digital and she's lost control are my favorites!
FLY AWAY! SKYLINE PENGUIN, FLY!

Offline brianwilson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »
I personally prefer New Order but yeah, Joy Division is essential to any music fan.

I've yet to see 'Control.' I've only seen '24 Hour Party People' which I thought was awesome. Dito ko na-discover ang Joy Division.

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »
Initially, the band was called Warsaw before changing its name to Joy Division. Long live Ian Curtis!

Offline Godofredo

• Netizen Level
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 06:45:02 AM »
great   band.one   of   my   main   influences.very   technical   when   it   comes   to   musicality.

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 08:17:35 AM »
I listened to Grunge and bands like Joy Division during the 90s, while everyone else my age were into boybands and Britney
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline dreamhaus09

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »
I listened to Grunge and bands like Joy Division during the 90s, while everyone else my age were into boybands and Britney

www.ProjectSmithereen.lens.ph
500px.com/projectsmithereen Canon EOS 1000D | Canon a3100 IS

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
Huge impact on late 80s/early 90s post-hardcore.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline Jay Banger

• Netizen Level
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »
di po ba NEW WAVE SILA. tapos naging new order
ONE MAN's  JUNK  is ANOTHER MAN's  GAS :drool:

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 11:27:57 AM »
di po ba NEW WAVE SILA. tapos naging new order

Technically, I guess. New Wave is just too big a term e. Personally, I'm more comfortable describing Joy Division as post-punk and New Order as post-punk and/or synthpop.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline Jay Banger

• Netizen Level
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »
Technically, I guess. New Wave is just too big a term e. Personally, I'm more comfortable describing Joy Division as post-punk and New Order as post-punk and/or synthpop.

ahh. thanks for the info pero sabi ng tatay ko pag post punk daw new wave na. hehe.

regret ceremony and 1963. :)

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
ahh. thanks for the info pero sabi ng tatay ko pag post punk daw new wave na. hehe.

regret ceremony and 1963. :)

Ceremony was from as far back as 1980/1981 but that song will NEVER sound old. :3
Offset guitars for life.

Offline paltic

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 07:12:40 AM »
na-miss ko ang thread na to a...i've always felt that Joy Division is a post-punk band. pag sinabing new wave usually "brighter" and "happier" at mas "keyboard-oriented" ang tugtugan. new order siguro pwede pang ipasok sa new wave although di nga masyadong specific ang klase ng tugtugan sa genre na but it's "dated"(late 70s-80s)...post-punk imho is more guitar-driven(more angular compared to punk...as for joy division, it's bass-driven kasi si hooky ang lead nila)

dami ng rip-offs na nagsulputan na gumagaya sa banda na to: Interpol, The Editors, She Wants Revenge (mga to talagang ginagaya voice ni Ian Curtis)

may time nung College na puro Joy Division at The Smiths lang talaga nagmamatter na banda sa kin  :-D

Offline Jay Banger

• Netizen Level
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
wew, i cant relate with you folks.. im 19 yo pa lang. pero WTH?! trip ko music nila eh at madaming new wave/post punk band pa. "maybe i've forgotten the name and the address" hehe. tapos the church pa pala unguarded moments, post punk din po ba yun kasi puro guitar din yun eh. thanks  :wave:

Offline Mr.Yos0

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
sayang lang talaga si curtis. fave ko sa kanila yung buong unknown pleasures.

nung naging new order hindi ko na masyadong trip.
"Time, the greatest enemy of man, is an addict who smokes the cigarette of life and uses God's soil as an ashtray." - Mehmet ildan
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating