hulika

Author Topic: 2006 nu rock award winners list - (Don't make this a HATE thread!)  (Read 14050 times)

Offline IncX

Re: 2006 nu rock award winners list
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »

as far as NU or any award giving body is concerned, i agree with Eddie Vedder that "there shouldn't be any award for art."

i mean, how do you choose one band over the other? is it dependent upon the genre of music? how technically good the players are? how well dressed they are? how much records they sold? a combinatio of everything i just typed?

there are days i love pop and days i love death metal... and to make it complicated, there are also days where i love death metal more than thrash metal and days where i love emo more than alternative... all the bands i think are great. but when you attempt to give them an award ... it would be like saying "this band is better than the other band" ... you cant categorize a band the way you categorize an elementary student in school.

however, you can judge a band either by taste or by the degree of maturity they have on music... this is subjective and this is where the problems start... just because a group of ppl share the same subjective opinion, doesn't mean it is a fact. it still remains a subjective opinion.

why cant they just have a big "appreciation party" instead of an awards night filled with celebrities who dont know jacksh*t about music?

im just probably griping because the mainstream is filled with artists who are either corny (although technically proficient), or just plain dumb (and technically incompetent to boot).

i can see why Myrene won though... as much as i think her band sandwich sucks to kingdom come, she can hold the groove and fill the role of a bass player (i noticed she doesnt mess up live, lets not argue about the simplicity of their songs). nathan though is also a great player and is obviously more technically proficient... same goes with louie. but it is bad to judge a bass player based solely on technical proficiency

personally, i like nathan's tone and choice of notes among the 3. myrene ranks the bottom because eventhough she can groove ... i dont think her style of bass playing requires one to practice. anyone with a bass who can do the major scale can play her style any day... she just has a great feel, patience and timing in a live situation.

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 08:15:31 AM »
ay ang papangit ng mga nanalo  :-D

seryoso?? hehe.. baka isa nanamang irony yan ah. haha

tama lang na nanalo itchyworms for album of the year  :-D :-D :-D
teka bakit walang sugarfree? haha
silent sanctuary... lupet :)
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 10:32:22 AM »
well magiging masaya na ko sa Album of the Year. kahit wala akong  balita sa Rock Awards..

at least wala dun yun mga bandang eto

CUESHE
HALE
FRIO

it sucks to know that sugarfree never got any awards..

even VOC.. wala din sila kahit nominations?

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 01:39:59 PM »
Personally, I would like to thank NU 107 for recognizing the very important role played by the rockjocks of the rock of manila.... These are  the dudes and dudettes who contributed a lot to Rock Music in the Philippines and responsible  the propagation of Pinoy Rock........... Visit their website at www.therockofmanila.com  .  For  the young rockers, they may wonder what the heck is the rock of manila : please read on :

What? The ROCK of MANILA? What the heck is that?

In 1963, a group of friends and classmates started broadcasting over DZRJ-AM from a small booth at the back of the Jacinto residence in Quezon City, Philippines. Inspite of a fuzzy signal which had more static noise than music, the station developed a distinct personality that appealed mostly to teenagers. The music format was patterned loosely after popular US Top 40 stations and eventually, the station adopted "BossRadio" as its catchword that would set it apart from other pop music stations at the time. By the late 60s, the station had started experimenting with music beyond the typical pop fare. It had also moved out of its modest beginnings and into brand new facilities, a especially built flying saucer-like structure on top of a building. It was on the 12th floor with a 360 degree view of Metro Manila, and it was called The TOWER.

Woodstock, Fillmore East/West, Jesus Christ Superstar and exciting new musical directions have opened up a brave new world to explore. And BossRadio, which had morphed into The Rock of Manila, was on the crest of an unstoppable wave. Manila, or the Philippines at that, has not experienced anything like what DZRJ was broadcasting. After a few more years, The Rock of Manila was the #1 music station in the nation.

The 70s witnessed the emergence of Pinoy Rock. The Rock of Manila was at the forefront of this movement - organizing and presenting concerts featuring the best local artists and broadcasting one of the most popular shows on radio: Pinoy Rock and Rhythm.

There was an intermittent flow of rockjocks who moved in and out of the station during those years. But no matter who was on-the-air, there was no doubt that The Rock of Manila was giving its listeners the best of the various genres of rock music there was at the time.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 01:43:10 PM by Allan Roy »

Offline myk

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2006, 03:27:20 PM »
I was there that night.. in fairness ok yung event na yun at organize siguro natako sila sa chaos. Pansin ko lang bakit wala yung mga bandang join the club, hilera, death by tampons... atbp actually sila nga i think yung bumubuhay ng scene.. ewan ah opinion ko yu.. at pansin ko puro sosyal yung mga nandun.. hindi naman fashion show yun!!! pero unlike Urban dub hindi sila nagbago.. wla silang gadget or stuff na nakalagy sa kanila.. actually para lang sila pupunta sa mall pero sila at locomotive yung astig including si Dong abay ang ok na performances dun! :mrgreen:

Peace
I have your mascara on my sleep

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2006, 09:40:42 PM »
bakit ang daming artista ? at paano nanalo na bassist of the year si myrene ? botohan ba yan ? or dahil NU DJ siya ? no offense at not a bamboo or kapatid fan pero diba parang mas matunog ngayon ang pangalan niyanmg 2 bands na yan  kysa sa sandwich and di hamak na sobrang mas magaling naman yata yung basstist ng bamboo na dating rivermaya yung nathan ba yun ? at yung bassist ng razorback/kapatid na si loui talan ?

:) you should know her man..

madalas ko siya makita live w/ sandwich at imago man.... :-D , at may taga buhat siya ng bass niya papunta ng gig  :-D big tym!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:43:29 PM by bugoy »

Offline drumfreak

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 01:52:30 AM »
as much as i think her band sandwich sucks to kingdom come

whoa.. ang galing siguro ng banda mo...
im screaming, im shouting...

Offline drumfreak

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 01:54:11 AM »
bakit ang daming artista ? at paano nanalo na bassist of the year si myrene ? botohan ba yan ? or dahil NU DJ siya ? no offense at not a bamboo or kapatid fan pero diba parang mas matunog ngayon ang pangalan niyanmg 2 bands na yan  kysa sa sandwich and di hamak na sobrang mas magaling naman yata yung basstist ng bamboo na dating rivermaya yung nathan ba yun ? at yung bassist ng razorback/kapatid na si loui talan ?

:) you should know her man..

madalas ko siya makita live w/ sandwich at imago man.... :-D , at may taga buhat siya ng bass niya papunta ng gig  :-D big tym!

PA tawag dun man, production assistant..

Offline Dindin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 03:42:30 AM »

... she just has a great feel, patience and timing in a live situation.

These are the traits that makes a great bassist...

Offline veronica

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 04:41:11 AM »
I was there that night.. in fairness ok yung event na yun at organize siguro natako sila sa chaos. Pansin ko lang bakit wala yung mga bandang join the club, hilera, death by tampons... atbp actually sila nga i think yung bumubuhay ng scene.. ewan ah opinion ko yu.. at pansin ko puro sosyal yung mga nandun.. hindi naman fashion show yun!!! pero unlike Urban dub hindi sila nagbago.. wla silang gadget or stuff na nakalagy sa kanila.. actually para lang sila pupunta sa mall pero sila at locomotive yung astig including si Dong abay ang ok na performances dun! :mrgreen:

Peace

tama!ok pa rin urbandub at in fairness, first time ko narinig si gabby kumanta ng tagalog nung nakijam sya sa astig na finale ng the dawn.. :-D
andami talagang mga sosyal lalo na sa harap..badtrip!
yung ibang bouncer, OA sa pagka-protective..wala tuloy moshpit! :-(

Offline slave_unit

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 11:42:41 AM »
Personally, I would like to thank NU 107 for recognizing the very important role played by the rockjocks of the rock of manila.... These are  the dudes and dudettes who contributed a lot to Rock Music in the Philippines and responsible  the propagation of Pinoy Rock........... Visit their website at www.therockofmanila.com  .  For  the young rockers, they may wonder what the heck is the rock of manila : please read on :

What? The ROCK of MANILA? What the heck is that?

In 1963, a group of friends and classmates started broadcasting over DZRJ-AM from a small booth at the back of the Jacinto residence in Quezon City, Philippines. Inspite of a fuzzy signal which had more static noise than music, the station developed a distinct personality that appealed mostly to teenagers. The music format was patterned loosely after popular US Top 40 stations and eventually, the station adopted "BossRadio" as its catchword that would set it apart from other pop music stations at the time. By the late 60s, the station had started experimenting with music beyond the typical pop fare. It had also moved out of its modest beginnings and into brand new facilities, a especially built flying saucer-like structure on top of a building. It was on the 12th floor with a 360 degree view of Metro Manila, and it was called The TOWER.

Woodstock, Fillmore East/West, Jesus Christ Superstar and exciting new musical directions have opened up a brave new world to explore. And BossRadio, which had morphed into The Rock of Manila, was on the crest of an unstoppable wave. Manila, or the Philippines at that, has not experienced anything like what DZRJ was broadcasting. After a few more years, The Rock of Manila was the #1 music station in the nation.

The 70s witnessed the emergence of Pinoy Rock. The Rock of Manila was at the forefront of this movement - organizing and presenting concerts featuring the best local artists and broadcasting one of the most popular shows on radio: Pinoy Rock and Rhythm.

There was an intermittent flow of rockjocks who moved in and out of the station during those years. But no matter who was on-the-air, there was no doubt that The Rock of Manila was giving its listeners the best of the various genres of rock music there was at the time.

Maraming salamat sa info!
..and when they come, we'll make great pets.

http://flickr.com/photos/gracinhamarco/

Offline clubdredd

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 02:10:17 PM »
Can't believe Mike Dizon didn't win for that outstanding drumming on "Five On The Floor".

Yup, Mike's great, but Jazz also kicks butt!

Offline clubdredd

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 02:12:15 PM »

FYI lang: Myrene quit NU more than a year ago.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2006, 12:21:13 AM »

i have no idea, never listened to radio since i got married 3 years ago  :-D ipod lang heheheh thanks for the info man...

Offline IncX

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2006, 12:58:26 AM »

make that "average" feel *lol*

Offline Dindin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2006, 05:50:24 AM »

make that "average" feel *lol*

Oh well... Whatever you say, I still feel that Myrene deserves the award. To each his own anyway...

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2006, 01:41:11 PM »
Man, Myrene rarely makes an obvious mistake onstage. cool, collected and very much on the ball ang playing niya. she may not win sa bass pyrotechnics, or with all the slapping and tapping and whatever else, pero one thing is for sure, she can be relied on to be the bass line. I'd trust that over anything else in a bassist. Her groove is not super-funky, kaya siguro naiisip na average ang feel niya, pero if you listen to it, tama siya, and that's what matters.

I would consider her playing style on the same track as U2's Adam Clayton - it's a meat and potatoes thing, but it gets the job done very well.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 02:21:22 PM by BassCog »

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »
Man, Myrene rarely makes an obvious mistake onstage. cool, collected and very much on the ball ang playing niya. she may not win sa bass pyrotechnics, or with all the slapping and tapping and whatever else, pero one thing is for sure, she can be relied on to be the bass line. I'd trust that over anything else in a bassist. Her groove is not super-funky, kaya siguro naiisip na average ang feel niya, pero if you listen to it, tama siya, and that's what matters.

I would consider her playing style on the same track as U2's Adam Clayton - it's a meat and potatoes thing, but it gets the job done very well.

yun na nga eh kung mala adam clayton nga sana, cguro tamang notes din nilalapat niya pero yung pag kalabit niya sa strings eh napansin ko yun minsan mapanood ko sila live saka sa TV, hirap ipaliwanag eh yung prang sumasabit yung string sa kung saan man ? parang may kumakalansing na may sinasabitan? napapansin ko yun pag nag be bass ako pag lumalakas ang pagkalabit ko sa strings ng husto, pero i'm no bassist ah eeheehehe  kaya di ko alam yung tamang term..

Offline IncX

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2006, 03:27:06 PM »

yun na nga eh kung mala adam clayton nga sana, cguro tamang notes din nilalapat niya pero yung pag kalabit niya sa strings eh napansin ko yun minsan mapanood ko sila live saka sa TV, hirap ipaliwanag eh yung prang sumasabit yung string sa kung saan man ? parang may kumakalansing na may sinasabitan? napapansin ko yun pag nag be bass ako pag lumalakas ang pagkalabit ko sa strings ng husto, pero i'm no bassist ah eeheehehe  kaya di ko alam yung tamang term..

baka sanay sa malakas na tension kaya sumasampal sa frets or neck ang strings sa pag pick.

still ... i think myrene is too safe. i dont see her differentiating herself from tons of average bassists out there... i like someone who takes risks ... someone not afraid to make mistakes. what's so hard about grooving against a 2 chord song anyway? ...

i like the bassist of itchy worms.

Offline drumfreak

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2006, 02:06:47 AM »

baka sanay sa malakas na tension kaya sumasampal sa frets or neck ang strings sa pag pick.

still ... i think myrene is too safe. i dont see her differentiating herself from tons of average bassists out there... i like someone who takes risks ... someone not afraid to make mistakes. what's so hard about grooving against a 2 chord song anyway? ...

i like the bassist of itchy worms.

funny guy...

you should ask raimund why..

he produced a demo cut for us at their place here in marikina. and since he was the producer, he didn't want any of those flammy scales on the bass track. he kept pounding on that basic "dum-dum-dum" groove he wanted for the cut. so that's what our bassist did.

+1000000 kay sir dindin...

(penge sticker ng zildjian) hehe =)

Offline IncX

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2006, 05:29:01 AM »

i see ... that clears up everything.

i guess i havent seen myrene really play ... who knows what she's capable of.

as for raimund ... even way back when i was making "industrial metal" and he was making squid 9 blips .. uhmmm ... no hate threads (or posts for that matter). let us just say: to each his own!

some ppl don't need a bass player, they need a sequencer where you type the note and the program puts out a drone for you.

i just had to say that, hehehe.

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2006, 10:22:24 AM »
my god. it never ends.
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006, 11:11:14 AM »
my god. it never ends.

It never will. that's why I usually just give up responding after saying my piece on a topic here.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2006, 02:03:41 AM »
my god. it never ends.

That's correct --- every year for 13 years now, people complain about the same things about the rock awards, hehehe
Talk about a "tradition".   :wink:

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline born2groove

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2006, 12:49:35 PM »

onga! ho sir louie talan and sir nathan azarcon! peace!^_^
"Love...is an accident waiting to happen."
(bawal ang mga gaya-gaya dito sa philmusic) :p
www.friendster.com/born2groove