hulika

Author Topic: Your favorite one hit wonder songs!  (Read 118760 times)

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Your favorite one hit wonder songs!
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2012, 02:14:02 AM »
Aside from " if I am" nine days also have "absolutely(story of a girl)" so that makes them a two hit wonder! :)
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
Sunny Came Home by Shawn Colvin.  Award-winning one hit wonder...   :-D

Offline Sneaky Bastard

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2012, 12:09:32 AM »
Little Angels - Tired of Waiting for You (Cover of KINKS original)

Di nyo alam yan? Kasabayan ni JET BLACK JOE sa CAMPUS RADIO nung nagpupumilit sya maging ROCK ISTAYSHEN.
Butt-hurt much?

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2012, 04:11:42 PM »
nice information as always, sir bryan!   :-D

some trivia/questions about the bands you mentioned...

- "little star" by the elegants was coincidentally the #1 hit in america the week michael jackson was born.  unfortunately i don't know anything about the elegants aside from their being a one-hit wonder...

- the tornadoes featured george bellamy on guitar...name may not be familiar to most, but his son, matt bellamy of muse, is definitely a familiar name.  and the tornadoes were, for some time, eccentric UK producer joe meek's house band.  alam ko din katropa nila sina ritchie blackmore, when they were all session musicians for meek in the early '60s.

- weren't the hollywood argyles the first band of runaways manager/"svengali" kim fowley?  and is that him on lead vocals?

The Elegants were an Italo American doo wop group. But that's all I know. And little star was #1 in the US when Michael Jackson was born.

Ritchie Blackmore worked for Joe Meek as guitarist for the UK group Outlaws (not to be confused with the American Outlaws).

The Hollywood Argyles was one of the earliest projects of Kim Fowley whose partner in the project was Gary S. Paxton. Paxton was the lead vocalist for Alley Oop. We know Gary S. Paxton in the Philippines-only hit - (I'm Livin' In) The Shadow Of Your Memory.

Sunny Came Home by Shawn Colvin.  Award-winning one hit wonder...   :-D

This was not the only hit of Shawn Colvin. She also has "Steady On" and a cover of The Police's "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic."

how do you talk to an angel - the heights

Yes this IS a one-hit wonder.

La Bamba ? - Los Lobos

La Bamba was their only #1 hit but they also charted Come On Let's Go - also a Ritchie Valens cover.

"city of angels" was the album, "love machine" was the hit.  may cassette tape si erpats nun dati...till i recorded over it as a kid (with his reluctant blessing).   :lol:  and they're technically not one-hit wonders since sila yung backing band ni smokey robinson before splitting from him in the '70s...

The Miracles were a vocal group formed in the Late 50s with William Smokey Robinson as it's focal point. They had many many hits both pop and R&B but Love Machine was their only #1 hit after Smokey left the group. The title track of City Of Angels was a big radio hit in the Philippines to but never officially released as a single in the US.

eto pa mga one-hit wonders

My Male Curiosity - Kid Creole and the Coconuts

Alone Again (Naturally) - Gilbert O'Sullivan

Zoom - Fat Larry's Band

People Alone - Randy Crawford

City of Angels - The Miracles

Living Together - Fire and Rain

yan yung mga kantang pagnarinig mo sasabihin mo.."yan pal yun"  :lol:

Kid Creole and the Coconuts has other hits as well as My Male Curiosity. But it is interesting to note that they never had a pop hot 100 single! Their sole placement Hey Mambo was even a duet with Barry Manilow in 1987. Their other club hits (dance chart of sorts) were Endicott and I'm A Wonderful Thing, Baby.

Gilbert O' Sullivan (real name : Raymond Edward O'Sullivan) also had Clair, What's In A Kiss, Nothing Rhymed as hits.

Aside from People Alone, Randy Crawford had a massive hit with One Hello.

Lastly, Texas also had other hits aside from Say What You Want. In the 80s they first charted with I Don't Want A Lover. Also they charted high in the UK charts with Black Eyed Boy, In Our Lifetime, Summer Son and more.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »
The Elegants were an Italo American doo wop group. But that's all I know. And little star was #1 in the US when Michael Jackson was born.

Ritchie Blackmore worked for Joe Meek as guitarist for the UK group Outlaws (not to be confused with the American Outlaws).

The Hollywood Argyles was one of the earliest projects of Kim Fowley whose partner in the project was Gary S. Paxton. Paxton was the lead vocalist for Alley Oop. We know Gary S. Paxton in the Philippines-only hit - (I'm Livin' In) The Shadow Of Your Memory.

This was not the only hit of Shawn Colvin. She also has "Steady On" and a cover of The Police's "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic."

La Bamba was their only #1 hit but they also charted Come On Let's Go - also a Ritchie Valens cover.

The Miracles were a vocal group formed in the Late 50s with William Smokey Robinson as it's focal point. They had many many hits both pop and R&B but Love Machine was their only #1 hit after Smokey left the group. The title track of City Of Angels was a big radio hit in the Philippines to but never officially released as a single in the US.

Kid Creole and the Coconuts has other hits as well as My Male Curiosity. But it is interesting to note that they never had a pop hot 100 single! Their sole placement Hey Mambo was even a duet with Barry Manilow in 1987. Their other club hits (dance chart of sorts) were Endicott and I'm A Wonderful Thing, Baby.

Gilbert O' Sullivan (real name : Raymond Edward O'Sullivan) also had Clair, What's In A Kiss, Nothing Rhymed as hits.

Lastly, Texas also had other hits aside from Say What You Want. In the 80s they first charted with I Don't Want A Lover. Also they charted high in the UK charts with Black Eyed Boy, In Our Lifetime, Summer Son and more.

*clapping slowly*
Your knowledge of songs is admirable, sir.   :)

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2012, 02:16:54 AM »

Offline dhe

« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2012, 07:05:54 PM »
"Long Hair" - by the Weed
hahah! :-D

Offline Sneaky Bastard

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »
P.S.Y. - Angelina

:-D

ANGELINAAAAAH, mabaho censored mo, marumi pa, di mo sinasabon, KINALIKOT MO PA!

Now THAT IS THE WAY TO USE ONE'S INTELLIGENCE, for good and NOT FOR EVIL

Ironic kasi MR BURNS ang shortcut ko sa nick mo ser. Isa kang HENYO, S-S-S-SIR! * clap clap clap *
Butt-hurt much?

Offline mike_faster

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2012, 01:06:53 AM »
The Way - Fastball

:) loved this song

Offline supernaut

• Veteran Member
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
Jump - Kriss Kross

Yung Fastball may Out of my head pa sila.  :)
PISINGYAMINUNAMUNAN....

Offline mike_faster

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »
Jump - Kriss Kross

oh, you're right! nakalimutan ko na yun, maybe wasn't as big as the way

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2012, 03:06:40 AM »
Jump - Kriss Kross

fastball also had "fire escape", which was even less of a hit than "the way".  great songs nonetheless.   :-D

kris kross also had "warm it up" (yun nga ba yung title?) and "i missed the bus", a song which still plays in my head whenever i'm late for work...   :lol:
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline finch.

« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
They Might Be Giants - Dr. Worm
Afghan Whigs - 66
Athenaeum - What I Didn't Know
Neve - It's Over Now

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »
Athenaeum - What I Didn't Know

Meron pa silang "Flat Tire".

Fuel - Shimmer

Nope, meron pa sila. "Hemorrhage", "Sunburn", "Bad Day", etc.

so little time -arkarna..

Meron pa sila, "Life is Free".

Ito pa!

"First Time" - Finger Eleven
"Yeah Whatever" - Splender (hit din ba "I Think God Can Explain"?)
"Touch, Peel, Stand" - Days of the New

Finger Eleven - "One Thing"
Splender - "I think God can explain" & "The Loneliest Person"
Days of the New - "Enemy", "Shelf in the Room", "The downtown"

Far Behind - Candlebox
Everything About You - Ugly Kid Joe

Candlebox - "You", "Cover me", "10,000 Horses"
Ugly Kid Joe - "Cats in the cradle", "Mr. Recordman", "Cloudy skies", "Busy bee"

Eto sakin..

Corey Taylor (Stone Sour) - Bother
Saliva - Rest in Pieces
Wild Cherry - Play Thet Funky Music
Smash Mouth - Walkin in The Sun

Stone Sour - "Through glass"
Smash Mouth - "All Star"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:37:09 PM by kurtcobainer »

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »
hahahha i still remember color me badd. pucha paborito ko dati ito hehehhehe

teka ako naman:

crash test dummies: mmmm, mmmm, mmmm
marcy playground: sex and candy
natalie imbruglia: torn

Crash Test Dummies - "Afternoons & Coffee Spoons"
Marcy Playground - "St. Joe on the school bus"
Natalie Imbruglia - "Beauty on the fire", "Intuition", "Smoke"

Dagdag pa ako:

Kent - "747"
Pine Forrest Crunch - "Cup noodle song"

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:31:35 PM by kurtcobainer »

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »
Uhm,

Soon - Moonpools and Caterpillars

Wala pa ako ulet maalala.. next time :-D

Nope, meron pa silang "Summertime", "Hear" & "Ren" :D

Offline gnarly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2012, 06:28:23 PM »
whigfield close to you :idea:

Offline shadowalk

« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
Caroline's Spine - Sullivan
Stabbing Westward - Save Yourself (sure they have a lot of better songs but to most people they're one hit wonder)
Days Of The New - Touch Peel & Stand (same opinion as Stabbing Westward)
Juice - Best Days
Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack
Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner
The Tea Party - Tempation
Texas - Say What You Want
Superdrag - Sucked Out
Prong - Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck (same opinion as Days and Stabbing)
The Mayfield Four - Don't Walk Away
K's Choice - Not An Addict
Pitchshifter - Genius

And I'm sure there's more but aside from my list and some of the aforementioned ones in this thread, that's all I can think of right now.

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline Sneaky Bastard

« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2012, 10:45:35 PM »
Stabbing Westward - Save Yourself (sure they have a lot of better songs but to most people they're one hit wonder)
Juice - Best Days
Superdrag - Sucked Out
Pitchshifter - Genius

And I'm sure there's more but aside from my list and some of the aforementioned ones in this thread, that's all I can think of right now.

Uh, no.

Di lang DITDIDIDIT ang hit ni Suzanne Vega. Tulad ng Toms Diner na ditdididit lang ang alam kong lyrics, isang line lang ang alam ko sa unang hit ni Savio, este Suzanne Vega.

"My name is Luka, I live on the second floor!"
Butt-hurt much?

Offline pedicabo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »
tubthumping- chumbawamba

in the meantime- spacehog

high- feeder

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »
tubthumping- chumbawamba

in the meantime- spacehog

high- feeder

"amnesia" by chumbawamba, "mungo city" by spacehog and "cement" by feeder all got decent airplay on NU 107, but were far off from the above successes...
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline kingjeo2

• Netizen Level
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2012, 09:42:41 PM »
My Sharona - The Knacks

Stressed? Bored? Go to http://lolhumor.tumblr.com/ for a little laugh.

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »
Juice - Best Days
Superdrag - Sucked Out
Pitchshifter - Genius

Caroline's Spine - Wallflower
Days of the New - Enemy, Weapon and the wound, Shelf in the room, The downtown
K's Choice - Believe, Almost happy

BT:
Poe - Trigger Happy Jack

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2012, 09:05:42 AM »
pasali ulit  :-D

Pangarap Lamang - Balahibong Pusa
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein