hulika

Author Topic: Ampless Gigging: Your DI/ampsim/MFX rigs  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Ampless Gigging: Your DI/ampsim/MFX rigs
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:19:07 PM »
Gigging without a decent amp can be a real pain sometimes but technology has allowed us to be able to overcome this problem. Direct-to-board rigs do pose some new challenges, though. Monitoring, sound leveling and overall EQing are a few of them.

I've been using amp sims for about 3-4 years now. I bring my own amp if I have someone who can help me, but these days I just go out with my pedalboard and pedal amps just in case I need to plug directly to the mixer. I had a Tech 21 Liverpool in the past and it saved my arse a lot of times. I then moved on to a Carl Martin Rock Bug DI/ampsim. It's not a fixture on my rig but I always have it in my gig bag. I also had an Ethos OD preamp before (I'm getting the new version pretty soon).

Monitoring is the biggest challenge for me. This is because if you're directly plugged to the mixer, your sound is at the mercy of the tech at the mixing booth. Sometimes the monitor would sound loud enough but my sound level would be near zero at the FoH. Sometimes it's the other way around. And sometimes my stage and FoH mix even sound different (i.e. when the on-stage monitor is a beat-up amp - this is usually the case in churches). I worked with the in-house techs and I made sure that we were on the same page as to how I should sound in the mix.

Any active gigger here who uses pedal amps, DIs and multi effects to directly connect to the PA/mixer? What's in your rig? How do you configure your sound to sound well with the PA/FoH when you're already onstage?
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Ampless Gigging: Your DI/ampsim/MFX rigs
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »
About 4 years ago i played a series of musicals and used a hybrid setup. It was a gt-8 with one output feeding a peavey bandit onstage and the other going into a behringer ultra-g feeding the house and monitors. Sa first soundcheck I the tech helped me setup by letting me hear what the FoH sounded like, then the monitors. The toughest part was the few numbers I had to simulate violins and synth type drones and make them sound believable since were 2 of us on guitars but no keyboardist.

After setting all that, all I had to worry about was setting the amp right so I could hear it at the right level (which was really more for me than anyone else because nothing replicates the feel of a real guitar amp).

That tech was there for every show so we only had to work out the mix once. By the 3rd show, soundchecks were taking a lot less time na. That's probably what helped most: spending time with the techs and making sure they know what you need and you know they need to be able to help you.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:25:19 PM »
also, it might be a good idea to run through ALL the patches you're going to use listening through just the house/monitor mix (stage amp turned off). you'll be surprised at how wet or how dry they sound coming through the big speakers. sometimes you make compromises between getting the sound right onstage to be able to provide a better guitar sound for the singers to sing over sa house. and example is one of the songs was supposed to have this Edge-type sound with delays playing in rhythm. after the first 2 shows the tech told me it might be mixed too wet and the vocalists were having trouble "feeling" the count of the intro where it was just me and the vocalists (before the drums entered). it sounded fine at home and onstage though but he was right so i dialed down the delay.

lesson learned: listen to the tech and maybe buy him a beer. :)

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »
Reviving this thread.

Recently learned that we might be going ampless at church. And ma'am bh's reply in this thread got me looking into an Ethos: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=319385.0

I've also been thinking about going Sansamp Blonde/Liverpool > DI > house

Just want to know if there are any other options or ideas or better yet, kung merong iba pa na may firsthand experience with this setup.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 03:20:27 PM »
subscribed. :)

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »
Reviving this thread.

Recently learned that we might be going ampless at church. And ma'am bh's reply in this thread got me looking into an Ethos: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=319385.0

I've also been thinking about going Sansamp Blonde/Liverpool > DI > house

Just want to know if there are any other options or ideas or better yet, kung merong iba pa na may firsthand experience with this setup.

Try mo din icheck yung mga AMT legend series, may built in na cab sim yun. Yung AMT R1 ang lagi kong bitbit just in case na may sirang amp sa venue. Nagamit ko na siya twice sa metal at wedding gig. Di pumalya :)

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »
Our Guitarist uses an axefx 2...and the sound is freaking HUGE!!! its our bands edge (secret weapon) actually...thats why we can really freaking rock the house compared to the other bands who plug onto the amp (which is usually beat up)...its because of the really HUGE sound plugging direct can bring.... a little effort in lugging around the stuff..the controller and the Unit...but really..WALL OF SOUND!!!

and its a good conversation piece as all of the other bands guitarist would come up and chat with him regarding his Rig...

he carries it using this skb roller thingamajig..
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:40:09 PM by gandydancer123 »
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »
The JamUP and Bias Apps are great alternatives to bringing bulky gear. Very impressed with the tones on that plug!
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 07:18:26 AM »
Wow! Nice stuff. Thanks po. Gave me a lot to think about.

@juwanfidle09
Yeah, forgot about those AMT amp sims. Ma-check nga uli

@gandydancer123
Interesting ang mag-AxeFX 2. Kung may kotse lang sana ako. Maybe once I get a car.

@raLpH_pEtRucCi
Pwede to a... Is the HD plug worth investing in? Or buhay na ba ako dun sa regular na JamUp Plug or IRig?
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 10:30:51 AM »
Wow! Nice stuff. Thanks po. Gave me a lot to think about.

@juwanfidle09
Yeah, forgot about those AMT amp sims. Ma-check nga uli

@gandydancer123
Interesting ang mag-AxeFX 2. Kung may kotse lang sana ako. Maybe once I get a car.

@raLpH_pEtRucCi
Pwede to a... Is the HD plug worth investing in? Or buhay na ba ako dun sa regular na JamUp Plug or IRig?

Syempre, mas okay yung HD, pero IMHO, okay na yung plug bro! so far solid naman at minimal noise (Pag super high gain lang maririnig mo na) don't get the iRIG. too noisy :(
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline FollowTheReaper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 10:49:49 AM »
Syempre, mas okay yung HD, pero IMHO, okay na yung plug bro! so far solid naman at minimal noise (Pag super high gain lang maririnig mo na) don't get the iRIG. too noisy :(

Agree. The regular JamUp plug works wonders. Problem ko lang with it is if you want to play along with yoyr backing tracks from your iTunes library or YouTube.. may noise talaga since you're just using the headphone/mic jack. I upgraded to L6 Sonic Port which I bring with me all the time.
Music Educator

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
Agree. The regular JamUp plug works wonders. Problem ko lang with it is if you want to play along with yoyr backing tracks from your iTunes library or YouTube.. may noise talaga since you're just using the headphone/mic jack. I upgraded to L6 Sonic Port which I bring with me all the time.

Truedat! testify! =))

problem is, mej mahal na yung Line6. yung jamup plug kasi, almost same price ng irig, pero ang laki ng jump sa quality hahahaha :D

all systems go on 25?

Offline FollowTheReaper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
Truedat! testify! =))

problem is, mej mahal na yung Line6. yung jamup plug kasi, almost same price ng irig, pero ang laki ng jump sa quality hahahaha :D

all systems go on 25?

yeah pero compatible sa mas maraming apps si Line6. I needed it too for the Jammit app.

OT:
yes, kita kits sa 25th!
Music Educator

Offline iccurtepnhoj

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »
this   

+

+

+

+

>:D
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SterlingbyMusicMan/Zoom G3Xn SBMM JP100 Alice String 427PJP
"Strong sense of synchronization between the two [playing] hands,Different Strum for Different Folks"
http://sterlingbymusicman.com/

Offline iyzburg

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »
Sir iccurtepnhoj, are these images you're posting a cg image of actual pedals, or setting ito ng software/multi? Sorry po, getting interested with your posts kasi..  :-) I'm guessing na these are settings ng software of multi, since ampless ang topic dito..
Deut 11:13 ...love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul...

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »
Sir iccurtepnhoj, are these images you're posting a cg image of actual pedals, or setting ito ng software/multi? Sorry po, getting interested with your posts kasi..  :-) I'm guessing na these are settings ng software of multi, since ampless ang topic dito..

This is via JamUp ProXT.

Offline Gerrit

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
I am also an ampless gigger in our community.  I used GT10 in my gig.  I always instruct the tech to have all knobs at 12 O'clock or 9 o'clock depending on my mood.  In my GT10 when I plug straight to the board or at the back of the amp, my cab sim is on and if plugged in front of the amp my cab sim is off.  All equalization is controlled by me becuase I have a GE-7 connected to my GT-10 to adjust the EQ for whatever board or amp I will be plugging in.