Author Topic: HIYAW  (Read 11342 times)

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: HIYAW
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2017, 11:11:25 AM »
OMG OMG! the guys are coming back!!!!

now playing: Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back in Town
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
game ako dito sir. im sincerely curious to try out this over the top hiyaw guitars. ill bring my prs, suhr and ibanezes as well for everybody to critique and give personal opinions on how it sounds and play.
one request lang is that the gathering must have atleast one guitar with hiyaw. whoever owns those and bring those will be very much appreciated. its the entire point of the gathering anyway. :) set lang sana weekend so i could come.

Good luck sa inyong lahat guys sana nga maituloy nyo yan haha. I have a feeling December 31 nanaman mas-schedule ito. Catering, anyone?
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline knet370

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2017, 12:50:19 PM »
^

naku bat dec 31 pa? the sooner the better. :) and no need for catering. kahit pizza lang delivery or whatever mabusog lang. ang problema nalang dito ngayon is sino sino ba ang gusto mag tone party. :) parang dalawa palang kami ni idol fidel ang interesado. haha.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »
^

naku bat dec 31 pa? the sooner the better. :) and no need for catering. kahit pizza lang delivery or whatever mabusog lang. ang problema nalang dito ngayon is sino sino ba ang gusto mag tone party. :) parang dalawa palang kami ni idol fidel ang interesado. haha.

Those are questions that have been asked for almost a decade now I think. And we may never get to find the answer.  :-D
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
^

contact mo si firemodel55 privately. baka puede ka papuntahin sa bahay nya to try all his goodies. well baka sakali lang naman. i think in the past may mga pinapunta na sya sa bahay nya.
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline knet370

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2017, 01:12:47 PM »
mas maganda pag neutral nasa neutral grounds.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2017, 02:07:26 PM »

Good luck jan bro. haha!
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2017, 04:38:04 PM »
nawawala ba ang hiyaw ng isang gitara na may hiyaw kapag nabago yung setup? (yung exact truss rod, string height, pickup height, lalim ng nut slots, bridge saddle intonation settings)

paano if that specific guitar (with hiyaw) needs a fret dress or refret...dapat ba bawat fret same shape and dimension and height nung original para ma-retain yung hiyaw?

pag may nabago ba sa gitara (na may hiyaw), pwedeng mawala?
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline Screamous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2017, 04:53:07 PM »
nawawala ba ang hiyaw ng isang gitara na may hiyaw kapag nabago yung setup? (yung exact truss rod, string height, pickup height, lalim ng nut slots, bridge saddle intonation settings)

paano if that specific guitar (with hiyaw) needs a fret dress or refret...dapat ba bawat fret same shape and dimension and height nung original para ma-retain yung hiyaw?

^ +1 i would like to know too, in addition, what if yung gitara e wla nman hiyaw, pero pag pna setup,
(yung right setup), posible ba na magka hiyaw thru that modification process?
Masters are once an apprentice

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
^ +1 i would like to know too, in addition, what if yung gitara e wla nman hiyaw, pero pag pna setup,

I guess what we're trying to get at is if "hiyaw" is a product of design and structure.
kunwari, you tried a guitar in a store or wherever, nagustuhan mo, you felt the hiyaw pero it wasn't setup to your liking. from 9s, pina-11s mo. to do that, you have to make some changes on the nut slots, sa intonation...sa string height an rin siguro (taasan or babaan ng koonti). adjust mo rin pickup height and pickup screw height to compensate sa change sa action. koonting adjust din sa truss rod if you prefer some relief or wala. with all those changes...ma-retain kaya yung hiyaw?
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »
Well you can ask him now which telecaster is his fav. heh heh

Just sayin. The Asians can have it too :-)
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2017, 08:42:21 PM »
game ako dito sir. im sincerely curious to try out this over the top hiyaw guitars. ill bring my prs, suhr and ibanezes as well for everybody to critique and give personal opinions on how it sounds and play.
one request lang is that the gathering must have atleast one guitar with hiyaw. whoever owns those and bring those will be very much appreciated. its the entire point of the gathering anyway. :) set lang sana weekend so i could come.

Ang problema ko lang is malamang walang hiyaw gitara ko. Though I never bothered to look for a guitar with that since di ko naman talaga priority yun, but it is still good to learn something new.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:05:12 AM by juwanfidle09 »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2017, 05:25:55 AM »
Ang problema ko lang is malamang walang hiyaw gitara ko. Though I never bothered to look for a guitar with that since di ko naman talaga priority yun, but it still good to learn something new.
I'm starting to remember it's elements. It is literally 'gut wrenching'. I remember Arie's description 'para kang natatae'

Unfortunately , I didn't experience it on his Tokai but elsewhere.

In the hands of a talented guitarist as yourself, it will be devastating. In lesser hands, well, guys like me would prolly use it to remedy constipation.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2017, 05:29:49 AM »
Anyway, all that said, I'm in and 'tone party ready' save for some minor details such as a broken nut and a missing control cavity cover. Of course I need not say what sonic weapon I'll be armed with.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2017, 05:59:00 AM »

I only do one on one in MY house.  For the simple reason, all my gear is in the house. And group testing is unwieldy.  Teaching hiyaw is a one on one experience.  Well you can bring a buddy, so I can teach it to a maximum of two people at a time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:18:00 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2017, 06:03:25 AM »

(nope because hiyaw is caused by that specific combination of wood in your specific guitar.)

(hiyaw is not fret dependent.)

(only if you change the pieces of wood interacting on your solid body guitar.)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2017, 06:06:12 AM »

(no need for neutral grounds.  Either you hear it or you don't.  No need for a cheer leading squad.  Besides, my stuff is quite plenty,  heavy and expensive for me to risk outside the house.  I also test with electrical ground for my amps.) 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2017, 06:08:02 AM »

(Nope because its wood interaction does causes hiyaw. Either the guitar has it or it does not on the first day it becomes a guitar.)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2017, 06:11:14 AM »
I guess what we're trying to get at is if "hiyaw" is a product of design and structure.
kunwari, you tried a guitar in a store or wherever, nagustuhan mo, you felt the hiyaw pero it wasn't setup to your liking. from 9s, pina-11s mo. to do that, you have to make some changes on the nut slots, sa intonation...sa string height an rin siguro (taasan or babaan ng koonti). adjust mo rin pickup height and pickup screw height to compensate sa change sa action. koonting adjust din sa truss rod if you prefer some relief or wala. with all those changes...ma-retain kaya yung hiyaw?

Yes.  As you can see, I listed all my guitars with hiyaw.  There are about twenty of them.  All of different construction, hardware, pickups, finish, scale length, electronics, and of different wood species.  The only thing I keep constant is my Pyramids at gauge 10s. 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2017, 06:16:09 AM »
Just sayin. The Asians can have it too :-)

I can't deny that.  But in my experience since I got rid of my Asian Guitars -- at that point I had Japanese Guitars outnumbering my USA guitars at a factor of 13-2 -- I now have one MIJ guitar with hiyaw versus 20 USA guitars (including one made by Gil Yaron).

Its there but not worth your effort to find.  Why?  My theory (take this with a grain of salt)  is that wood sourced by USA guitar companies and mills seem better suited to electric solid body guitars. 

By the way, I keep one cheapo Japanese Charvel that really has no hiyaw what so ever.  Its really a dead sounding guitar.   I keep this guitar as reference  so that people who don't want to compare their guitars to mine don't have to be COMPELLED to judge their own personal guitar in front of me or anybody else.
On the other hand, I can assess a guitar if you want me to. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:26:19 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2017, 06:34:37 AM »
Serious question: May hiyaw ba ang bass guitar? Drums? Piano?
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2017, 06:48:29 AM »
All goid Alex.

Gah. I've been away a while. Wala bang like button tong philmu so you could signify agreement witgout having to type anything more ? Gah. Lol.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2017, 06:48:47 AM »

Can't say.  Never done any study on that.  But feel free to try my DW collector's with Paiste Signatures and Warwick into my aguilar db751 and bergantino 6x10.

Offline LaXter

« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2017, 08:05:17 AM »
(nope because hiyaw is caused by that specific combination of wood in your specific guitar.)

Does this also mean that a guitar with no hiyaw can eventually have hiyaw through swapping necks?

Curious din ako sa note na pinoproduce ng wood ng guitar na may hiyaw. I remember Vai saying that he likes his evo because its neck and body produces the same note when tapped.
GAS-Masked

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2017, 08:14:05 AM »
Does this also mean that a guitar with no hiyaw can eventually have hiyaw through swapping necks?

Curious din ako sa note na pinoproduce ng wood ng guitar na may hiyaw. I remember Vai saying that he likes his evo because its neck and body produces the same note when tapped.

Yes eventually.  Maybe after trying around at least 90 other necks.