hulika

Author Topic: Better Late than Never: music you learned to love later  (Read 5502 times)

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
Better Late than Never: music you learned to love later
« on: August 13, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »
Are there specific genres, bands or acts you learned and grew to love or enjoy at a much later time - yet disliked the first time you heard it/them?  Here's my list:

1. U2 (honest) - Coming from pre-VH guitar era,  the first chiming notes of U2 left me with a big "What?". Ngayon, Edge all the way !

2. New wave/ New Romantics - Wild Swans, the Cure, Violent Femmes, etc. - hindi ko nakuha the first time, at sa mahabang panahon.

3. 90s alternative material. It is just recently that I am rediscovering Live, older stuff from STP and Smashing Pumpkins.

4. Country music. 'Yung country swing ballad na either waltzy or slow dance types. I am still struggling to understand it.

5. I used to think that instrumental guitar music was only for Sunday mornings and old folks. Now I swear by the Ventures and Shadows twang. In fact, I'd buy a Jazzmaster if I can afford one.  :-D

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Better Late than Never: music you learned to love later
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:05:08 AM »
@ nancy brew

lol @ ventures --- no offense meant, kase ako Apollo 100 naman ang napag-tripan ko recently (seventies/instrumental). sure ako pamilyar ito sa'yo kuya (giveaway yung 'pre-VH era' hehe)

somewhere around 30, i learned to love bossa tunes, especially mga bossa/jazz-ish versions of famous pop tunes and of course mga sergio mendes, jobim, etc.

i also learned to appreciate samba, but mainly for the rhythm/drumming.
Postcoital bliss is not a government housing project in Quezon City.
VidProkEnMasse ~ video processing software
http://vidprokenmasse.blogspot.com/2014/07/vidprokenmasse.html

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:19:59 AM »
@ nancy brew

o eto trivia...
melody on my mind/tidal wave (apollo 100) was also considered to be made the theme song of hawaii-five-0. unfortunately, the ventures beat them to it.

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »
@ nancy brew

o eto trivia...
melody on my mind/tidal wave (apollo 100) was also considered to be made the theme song of hawaii-five-0. unfortunately, the ventures beat them to it.

Hey, chiqgarcia :-)

Honestly this is the first time I've heard of Apollo 100 hahahaha! I love it, Salamat!

Their sound is a lot different from Ventures, more of that  towards soundtracks and music beds of AM radio yore.

I am currently enjoying this also, thanks to you:

feature=related

Great job and congrats!
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
Hey, chiqgarcia :-)

I am currently enjoying this also, thanks to you:

feature=related

Great job and congrats!

ngyek, hehehe, thanks!

Offline gunlak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:04:38 PM »
The Smashing Pumpkins..

I only gave them a listen about 3 months ago.. fell in love with billy's songwriting and skills as a musician.
CLICK TO see baกิิิิิิat boys FB page!!!also check out my other band Skylines Forget

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »
1) Katatonia, Opeth, Anathema.
Matagal na silang Pamilyar saakin pero di ko talaga magustuhan nung una kasi "Boring". Turned out to be my Top 3 Favorite Bands.

2) World Music.
Same reason sa taas, Boring sa una pero masarap pala.

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:36:55 AM »
Thanks sa replies, mga kaibigan. I'll check the other artists you mention - pang broaden ng pakikinig.

The Smashing Pumpkins..

I only gave them a listen about 3 months ago.. fell in love with billy's songwriting and skills as a musician.

Mellon Collie is pure genius!

@ samuelfianza:

Same reason with world music. But as i listened more, I began to appreciate the early efforts of Peter Gabriel and Sting and what they were trying to achieve.

Here's another one:

Reggae - I can only last through 4 songs siguro. I need to have my ears opened wider. Hindi ko ma connect 'yung island feel sa music. Mas na vivisualize ko ang 'beach at island' sa bossa nova at brazilian music.
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline dennispalle

|Paul Cochrane's Timmy Overdrive|Neunaber Stereo Wet reverb|2010 Fender Telecaster MiM|Boss DD7|EB Volume Pedal jr|Ibanez TS9|Korg Pitchblack| Strymon Timeline |

Offline Wshad

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 01:57:11 PM »
Nancy Brew, Shadows and Ventures music is so old-school, but we play it!  Well, we try.  Here is a video of our amateur band playing “Atlantis” by the Shadows.  Our young musicuians here might freak out; that tune is 50 years old.

Are there specific genres, bands or acts you learned and grew to love or enjoy at a much later time - yet disliked the first time you heard it/them?  Here's my list:

1. U2 (honest) - Coming from pre-VH guitar era,  the first chiming notes of U2 left me with a big "What?". Ngayon, Edge all the way !

2. New wave/ New Romantics - Wild Swans, the Cure, Violent Femmes, etc. - hindi ko nakuha the first time, at sa mahabang panahon.

3. 90s alternative material. It is just recently that I am rediscovering Live, older stuff from STP and Smashing Pumpkins.

4. Country music. 'Yung country swing ballad na either waltzy or slow dance types. I am still struggling to understand it.

5. I used to think that instrumental guitar music was only for Sunday mornings and old folks. Now I swear by the Ventures and Shadows twang. In fact, I'd buy a Jazzmaster if I can afford one.  :-D

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
Nancy Brew, Shadows and Ventures music is so old-school, but we play it!  Well, we try.  Here is a video of our amateur band playing “Atlantis” by the Shadows.  Our young musicuians here might freak out; that tune is 50 years old.

Hey Wshad,

This is beautiful! Please fill me in - I know Lenny and Lito are with Electromaniacs, and i brought their recent reissued CD when I chanced by RJ last year. Are you the guitar player?

Thanks for sharing!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4353003268543&set=pb.1391493179.-2207520000.1359416078&type=3&theater

shredder turned electronica/indie lover
Sir, hindi gumagana yung link  :)
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline Wshad

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »
Thanks, Nancy Brew.  Yes, we brought Lito out of retirement for that show.  That gave him and Ernie Delgado incentive to revive the Electromaniacs.  We're happy for that.

I hope that encourages you to pkwy Ventures and Shadows. Yes, you'll need a Jazzmaster to okay early Ventures pieces.

Regards,

WS   

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 08:59:52 AM »
Thanks, Nancy Brew.  Yes, we brought Lito out of retirement for that show.  That gave him and Ernie Delgado incentive to revive the Electromaniacs.  We're happy for that.

I hope that encourages you to pkwy Ventures and Shadows. Yes, you'll need a Jazzmaster to okay early Ventures pieces.

Regards,

WS

So that's why. In a trio recently, I've managed to sneak in a few numbers of this style. The response is surprisingly positive.

Sir you play great. OT: What was that event? 

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline Wshad

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 09:43:04 PM »
Thanks, Nancy Brew.  I'm glad you're experimenting with those old instrumentals.

That video was from a show we put together to benefit retired session musicians.  The proceeds went to AMP, intended to help the older musicians with their medical needs.

Regards,

WS

Offline ysei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 08:06:26 AM »
Chuck Berry.
On vacation...

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »
Chuck Berry.

Sama na yung duck walk niya. He he he.

Here's another one. The Who. 
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »
that i listened to Billie Holiday and the Stylistics during college days.

and glad that before i turned 30, i was hooked with Steely Dan.

and in my 30s i find myself liking Country, that the songs i write that my peers end up liking are country-inspired.
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline Wshad

50-year Old Music
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
I posted this link elsewhere, but in case you missed it, here's a video on a show we did over four years ago. 

Many of you will be too young to relate to the music here, because they all became popular between 1958 and 1963.  That was a brief musical era after the end of early rock-and-roll (after the day the music died) but before the Beatles and the rest of the British Invasion rolled in.  It was an era when instrumental guitar music was popular, to be eclipsed later by vocals.  The standard four-man ban (lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass, drums) was set in this short era.

In the show, we tried to play as close to the origimal as we could, but amateurs kami mostly, so pasensya sa mali please.  I hope you enjoy this and not get too bored.

WShad

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »

and in my 30s i find myself liking Country, that the songs i write that my peers end up liking are country-inspired.

'Yung Johnny Cash type na country ba sir?

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
Re: 50-year Old Music
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 10:07:54 AM »

Apache! The bass player brings to mind Carol Kaye.

Thanks Wshad sharing! Enjoying it.
Soli Deo Gloria.