hulika

Author Topic: Pls delete mods thanks.  (Read 8754 times)

Offline SexyLicks

• Formerly known as "Paokour"
Pls delete mods thanks.
« on: March 25, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »
 :? So what do should I expect when switching to tube amp?

Any good tube amps suggestions that can be bought locally?

I like Warm Round sounding amps :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:15:00 AM by SexyLicks »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Switching to tube amps thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 10:21:21 PM »
As with any "amp recommendation" thread.... there are a few questions that need answers when you're looking for an amp. Just to trim it down to be closer to what you're looking for. "Warm round sounding amps" is a pretty vague definition, honestly..

1. What's your budget?
2. How big and how loud an amp do you need?
3. Any notable clean sound you're after?
4. Any notable overdriven sound you're after?
5. Is the clean or overdriven sound more important to you?
6. Do you need an fx loop?

Lots of locally available tube amps nowadays both from the big-name brands and from a few newcomers. And a lot more info on the web for references on what to expect when switching to a tube amp, maintenance, technicalities, etc..

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 10:52:33 PM »
:? So what do should I expect when switching to tube amp?

Any good tube amps suggestions that can be bought locally?

I like Warm Round sounding amps :D

Expect:

1. Tubes last... Not forever but long enough if taken care of
2. There's a standby switch. Use this before/after playing to warm up/cool down
3. The hotter the tubes are the better they sound
4. Don't touch the tubes when in use or right after use

Re: warm sounding amps... There's a whole lot that goes into the equation aside from the amp. Guitar, pickups, speaker, enclosure, strings and even the pick that you use.

Just try everything, bring your guitar to be sure it sounds the way you want it to when you get home. 😊

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:16:03 AM »
As with any "amp recommendation" thread.... there are a few questions that need answers when you're looking for an amp. Just to trim it down to be closer to what you're looking for. "Warm round sounding amps" is a pretty vague definition, honestly..

Here sir :) Some answers

1. What's your budget? 7-12k
2. How big and how loud an amp do you need? not sure about this one but if it was solid state around 20-30W
3. Any notable clean sound you're after? I Like Fender cleans or Marshall lead(it sounds different from jcms)
4. Any notable overdriven sound you're after? Zendrive? Dumble like
Equal I guess
6. Do you need an fx loop? Nope

Lots of locally available tube amps nowadays both from the big-name brands and from a few newcomers. And a lot more info on the web for references on what to expect when switching to a tube amp, maintenance, technicalities, etc..

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 10:31:59 AM »
1. True. I have tubes from 70s, 80s amps that still run relatively strong today.
2. Wrong. Standby switches are there to keep the B+ voltage out of the plates so the tubes aren't stressed even as they are turned on. It has nothing to do with warming up or cooling down.
3. Wrong again. Tube temperature has nothing to do with tone, and while tube amps biased on the "hot" end (ie idle current dissipation of about 70% above) are touted by some as better sounding, not everyone will appreciate the earlier break up / early saturation resulting from this hot biasing. Also, this "hot equals better tone" nonsense may lead someone into biasing his amp into red-plating, which is something you don't want. You'd end up with shorter tube life and potentially more expensive repairs.

Expect:

1. Tubes last... Not forever but long enough if taken care of
2. There's a standby switch. Use this before/after playing to warm up/cool down
3. The hotter the tubes are the better they sound
4. Don't touch the tubes when in use or right after use

Re: warm sounding amps... There's a whole lot that goes into the equation aside from the amp. Guitar, pickups, speaker, enclosure, strings and even the pick that you use.

Just try everything, bring your guitar to be sure it sounds the way you want it to when you get home. 😊

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »
Here sir :) Some answers

2. How big and how loud an amp do you need? not sure about this one but if it was solid state around 20-30W
3. Any notable clean sound you're after? I Like Fender cleans or Marshall lead(it sounds different from jcms)
5. Is the clean or overdriven sound more important to you? Equal I guess

So it's a 7-12k tube amp that has "Fender cleans" with a "Dumble-like" drive... Interesting.

A bit tricky to work with that limited budget.. You "might" be able to slightly pull it off with a VHT Special 6 since that will be within your budget, but it won't compare with a 20-30 watt SS amp.
Similarly, you can opt to go for a used Fender Blues Junior but you'd have to stretch your budget to at least 20k.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 06:24:34 PM »
1. Good luck getting a brand new tube amp at that price range.
2. 30w is what you need for gigging at the very least. Make sure your driver / speaker is efficient as well.
3. You're asking too much given your budget.
4. See no. 3. Also, I doubt anyone in this forum has ever used a Dumble so if you think you know what a Dumble sounds, you're probably wrong.
5. See no. 3
6. Should be easy.

5. Is the clean or overdriven sound more important to you? Equal I guess

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 11:50:58 AM »
present! this month lang ako nagtry, nagka chance kasi may nagbenta ng handwired 3-5watt amp na maliit at magaan at may plexi glass  circuit display, grabe, di naman siya super highend or branded, pero dapat dati ko pa ginawa to..di ko na ginagamit yung blackstar beam ko..and for the longest time, solidstates at small digital amps lang gamit ko..microcube,...closest ko is blackstar ht1r and a orange microterror..pero was a brief stint....ibang iba..hhehe..

di lang ako maka GAS ng husto ng better bigger amps..kasi hassle sa pag lipad or pag travel sa laki at bigat, and di ko naman mabibirit ng husto sa bahay... though gusto ko kahit 1x12..hahaha

pero im a convert...lalo sa fuzz pedals..mas maganda yung output.. now I know bakit mga nakakadeal ko na top gitarista dito puro tube amp gamit

di naman siya ganun ka fender deluxe reverb tone pero, ok nadin for the price and the convenience..
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:57:43 AM by gandydancer123 »
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »
I love you Titser_marco. <3 very enlightening and I agree with your points.

plus, kung papasukan mo lang din nung ZOOM G1XNext, wag na muna siguro tube amp ang banatan mo. solid state na muna.

OTOH, you can get a Goldea AT30 for around 12K. that amp has decent Fender cleans. needs a pedal to go into distortion though.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »

plus, kung papasukan mo lang din nung ZOOM G1XNext, wag na muna siguro tube amp ang banatan mo. solid state na muna.

OTOH, you can get a Goldea AT30 for around 12K. that amp has decent Fender cleans. needs a pedal to go into distortion though.
I do remember used Goldea AT30 units being sold here for around that much or even lower. Wanted to buy one just so I could rip the circuitry and just use the transformers for a new amp build altogether

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »
I do remember used Goldea AT30 units being sold here for around that much or even lower. Wanted to buy one just so I could rip the circuitry and just use the transformers for a new amp build altogether

Ako naman curious sa Goldea Classic 20 (based on a Fender 5E3 daw) nung may binebenta dati sa ads. Hindi nga lang nag materialize.  :lol:

+1

Pero honestly Ralph, practice rig ko ngayon ay isang small hybrid tube amp paired with a Korg AX3G. Hahaha! *flame suit on*

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 05:48:56 PM »

yeap. I heard the circuit is mod friendly. Mang Raul has his version of a Hotrod mod to make it sound like a Fender Hot Rod.

if you look at it nga, parang sobrang wala nang pagkakakitaan yung amp at 12k hahaha emininence speakers, 3 12ax7 Rubys, 2 6l6 Rubys, all wood cab, bang for buck talaga eh.

Ako naman curious sa Goldea Classic 20 (based on a Fender 5E3 daw) nung may binebenta dati sa ads. Hindi nga lang nag materialize.  :lol:

+1

Pero honestly Ralph, practice rig ko ngayon ay isang small hybrid tube amp paired with a Korg AX3G. Hahaha! *flame suit on*

but then again, practice rig eh! hahaha

hybrid naman paps Chino, not counted daw =))

practice rig ko is a Blackstar IDcore20. solb na =))
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 06:41:58 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, that Goldea design is an exact clone of either the HotRod Deluxe, Blues Deluxe, or Blues Deville. Either way, yes, they pretty much belong to the same Fender family of circuits so it's mod friendly that way. What's not mod friendly though is its PCB construction, although I cannot confirm if it's indeed made that way. In any case, Raul is a pro so he can mod pretty much any circuit config - I'm just a hobbyist so I'm more comfortable with larger PTP construction.

yeap. I heard the circuit is mod friendly. Mang Raul has his version of a Hotrod mod to make it sound like a Fender Hot Rod.

if you look at it nga, parang sobrang wala nang pagkakakitaan yung amp at 12k hahaha emininence speakers, 3 12ax7 Rubys, 2 6l6 Rubys, all wood cab, bang for buck talaga eh.

but then again, practice rig eh! hahaha

hybrid naman paps Chino, not counted daw =))

practice rig ko is a Blackstar IDcore20. solb na =))

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 06:45:42 PM »
Of course it won't sound like a Tweed Deluxe --- just looking at the tubes and controls, it seems closer to a Fender Champ (that's probably 1x12AX7 and 1x6V6 right there). That's a single ended power section, whereas the Deluxe is a push-pull AB circuit. Can't remember what the phase inverter design is in the Deluxe, but that may be another difference.

present! this month lang ako nagtry, nagka chance kasi may nagbenta ng handwired 3-5watt amp na maliit at magaan at may plexi glass  circuit display, grabe, di naman siya super highend or branded, pero dapat dati ko pa ginawa to..di ko na ginagamit yung blackstar beam ko..and for the longest time, solidstates at small digital amps lang gamit ko..microcube,...closest ko is blackstar ht1r and a orange microterror..pero was a brief stint....ibang iba..hhehe..

di lang ako maka GAS ng husto ng better bigger amps..kasi hassle sa pag lipad or pag travel sa laki at bigat, and di ko naman mabibirit ng husto sa bahay... though gusto ko kahit 1x12..hahaha

pero im a convert...lalo sa fuzz pedals..mas maganda yung output.. now I know bakit mga nakakadeal ko na top gitarista dito puro tube amp gamit

di naman siya ganun ka fender deluxe reverb tone pero, ok nadin for the price and the convenience..

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »
Of course it won't sound like a Tweed Deluxe --- just looking at the tubes and controls, it seems closer to a Fender Champ (that's probably 1x12AX7 and 1x6V6 right there). That's a single ended power section, whereas the Deluxe is a push-pull AB circuit. Can't remember what the phase inverter design is in the Deluxe, but that may be another difference.

yes! its based on the champ..hehe wow, you know your amps!  :)
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 08:46:50 PM »
Let me fix it guys sounds wrong.

Here sir :) Some answers corrected

1. What's your budget? 15-20k (Adjusted)
2. How big and how loud an amp do you need? For my room or pwede din pang gig somewhere around 20-30 watts equivalent if Solid state
3. Any notable clean sound you're after? Something close to fender. Where do you guys get that Goldea stuff?
4. Any notable overdriven sound you're after? If drive from a Pedal I like Zendrive or any zendrive clone like Rumble drive from mooer.
Cleans more

Hope this helps :)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 09:03:04 PM »
3. GuitarPusher used to carry this brand, and for a time I saw it at Lazer (or was it Lyric?).

4. Since you like those pedals, why not get those pedals instead? It'll save you a lot of trouble, TBH.

2. How big and how loud an amp do you need? For my room or pwede din pang gig somewhere around 20-30 watts equivalent if Solid state
3. Any notable clean sound you're after? Something close to fender. Where do you guys get that Goldea stuff?
4. Any notable overdriven sound you're after? If drive from a Pedal I like Zendrive or any zendrive clone like Rumble drive from mooer.
Cleans more

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 09:33:14 PM »

Cleans more

used Fender Blues Junior (15W) or a used Blackstar HT-20 (20W) or a used Peavey Classic30 (30W).. you can sometimes find them within your budget range.

Offline joel_marcelo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 10:47:56 PM »
Bumili ka na lang ng Laney Cub12r para magamay mo magkatube amp. Andami sa classifieds or sa mga fb group. Disente na din tumunog yun mura pa. Tutal tone is in the fingerzzz naman.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 11:27:25 PM »
Great suggestion. Those Cub amps are actually pretty good except for the speakers.
Bumili ka na lang ng Laney Cub12r para magamay mo magkatube amp. Andami sa classifieds or sa mga fb group. Disente na din tumunog yun mura pa. Tutal tone is in the fingerzzz naman.

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 11:53:03 PM »

Cleans more

What I suggest is.

Will cost you around 8-9k

Then 1.5k

or this. Same value.

Total: More or less 10k. You saved 5k-10k mate.

Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline techbp

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 05:55:03 AM »

+1 with this. I mean with the Laney Cub12r not the tone is in the fingerzzz hehe.

Laney 12r bro try mo yan. Kulang kase budget mo for a tube amp kaya wala ako maisip masuggest pa. Pero kung mag iipon ka pa konti at gawin mong 30-35k budget... yan, madami dami ka na din choices.
I owned a Blackstar HT Club 40, yun napaka flexible na amp kung marunong ka lang mag dial. Second hand niyan makakabili ka ng 25k :-) Tsambahan nga lang

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »
pww.biyang.nl/images/stories/virtuemart/product/wangs-vt5hw.png[/img]

Sorry, off-topic but that amp's name implies it is a chick magnet/killer!  :-D

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »

+1 Cub12 nga siguro muna or Goldea AT15. sa Cub10 ako natuto ng pros and cons ng tube amps. baby steps muna I guess.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 09:49:17 AM »
super convert na talaga ako...as much as I can, space willing, weight willing,acceptable volume level willing..tube all the way na...cant believe ngayon ko lang ginawa hehe

and totoo...baby steps muna
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *