hulika

Author Topic: Open-Handed, Ambidextrous Approach To Drums  (Read 8475 times)

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
open handed...
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2006, 05:10:18 PM »
i'm ambidextrous
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: open handed...
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 08:23:42 PM »
i'm ambidextrous

thats great!!
share ko lang, nung tumugtog kami sa dish 2 saturdays ago nagloko yung hi-hat stand nila bumababa ng bumababa tapos hindi na mataas. badtrip...
nung dumating sa point na KA-LEVEL NA SIYA NG SNARE DRUM!!!
which makes it impossible to play. nangyari ito sa gitna ng song so i had no choice but to switch hands!
ang hirap medyo sumabit ng konti pero concentrate lang talaga.
i think i pulled it off kasi walang nakapansin sa mga bandmates ko...
hehehe...
practisin ko to nakaka-intriga eh..

Offline manson

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 10:46:44 PM »
I got really inspired from the drummer of coheed and cambria to start playing open handed also, or to just be comfortable with it.

I've got my cymbals set up that i can switch back and forth sytles. Hopefully with practice i can get comfortable playing like that.

Its cool because you can also add another ride cymbal to your set and its great for developing my left hand which is really weak. hehe. :-D
power in numbers!!!

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 08:20:42 AM »
manson, may pics ka ba ng kit mo?
i would like to see how you set-up your cymbals para masubukan ko...
thanks!
:D

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 04:39:35 PM »
I got really inspired from the drummer of coheed and cambria to start playing open handed also, or to just be comfortable with it.

I've got my cymbals set up that i can switch back and forth sytles. Hopefully with practice i can get comfortable playing like that.

Its cool because you can also add another ride cymbal to your set and its great for developing my left hand which is really weak. hehe. :-D

Yup, idol ko nga yun e hehe.

Sa pagiging open-handed, makakatipid ka sa crash cymbals!!! Hehehe.

Offline manson

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 10:22:47 PM »
manson, may pics ka ba ng kit mo?
i would like to see how you set-up your cymbals para masubukan ko...
thanks!
:D

Dud I dont have a camera eh. The way I set up my cymbals is that I put my ride cymbal on my left side, near my hi hat. And I put my crash on my right side.

I lower my hi hat also a little so its more comfortable. My ride is set a bit low so I can play it easier. Im not sure it thats the right way to set it up but it works for me. If I'm having a hard time playing the ride with my left hand, I can switch and play it with my right hand instead.  This really help me develop my ambidexterity with the kit.
Hope that helps :-D
power in numbers!!!

Offline pyong_2

• Veteran Member
raffy donato playing ride by his right and hihat by his left :)
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 02:13:21 PM »
raffy donato of fourplay band from davao city....napanood ko itong bandang to sa davao before...nagulat ako kasi kaliwa ang pang hihat nya ang everytime na magfifill-in siya and papuntang ride kanan na pang rhythm astig di ba? ano sa tingin nyo mga bros.? parang simon philips...
GDBLZ

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Open-Handed, Ambidextrous Approach To Drums
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2007, 03:12:35 PM »
check out modern drummer 2005 video, nag turo si jason bittner of shadows fall regarding open handed playing...astig mga tsong :evil:

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2007, 03:28:25 PM »
Si Michael Thomas ng Bullet for My Valentine ang isa sa mga magagaling na open-handed metal drummer.
Sobrang solid ng palo, at kontrolado na ang bilis! Nakakaduling din ang interchanging ng rolls sa paa at kamay.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 03:33:13 PM by Gep »

Offline pyong_2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2007, 05:26:44 PM »
raffy donato of fourplay from davao city. open handed tong pinoy na to astig...
GDBLZ

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 08:57:51 PM »
raffy donato of fourplay from davao city. open handed tong pinoy na to astig...

Thanks for the video input bro! Malupit nga 'tong taong 'to, nakaka inspire! :-)
So Be It.

Offline pyong_2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2007, 11:22:05 PM »
oo nga tlgang inspired na inspired nga ako ngayon bihira talaga yung ganitong pinoy di ba....hope & pray ko na matutunan natin lahat tong style na to...GDBLZ
GDBLZ

Offline kssael

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 12:30:13 AM »
Sorry for the necrobump but I'd like to introduce you, Travis "The Orbinator" Orbin and his disciple, Alex Rudinger!
-kssael

Offline kino

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 12:50:49 AM »
Sorry for the necrobump but I'd like to introduce you, Travis "The Orbinator" Orbin and his disciple, Alex Rudinger!

galing talaga yan! he is the former drummer of periphery, and now sky eats airplane's drummer.  8-)
I always tell the truth, even when I Lie.....

Offline shaun_kuyukot

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »
Mike Mangini can play a left handed kit and a right handed kit. Hindi lang left hand and right hand lead. left foot and right foot on the bass drum and hi-hats.
April now and forever.

Offline cholok3

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »
maswerte pa pala ako dahil kaliwete ako.. hehe..

basta nasa kaliwa ang ride ko at kanan ang crash ok na un..

tsaka sa pag dodouble peds. swerete na dahil malakas ung kaliwang paa ko.. hehe..

Offline shaun_kuyukot

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 02:59:56 AM »

Former drummer =)
Chris Pennie is the new drummer of Coheed and Cambria.
Pero ang galing rin nung dati. Sabog lang pag live, Bumibilis ung tempo niya.
April now and forever.

Offline vdonati_fan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 11:44:15 AM »
I saw sa video ni Steve Gadd, In Session...he was doing a groove open-handed and it really looks natural for him(ofcourse, Steve Gadd eh). He was asked why/how he did it. Ndi ko lang matandaan sagot nya..anyways, i'll try to watch it again and share what he said. Perhaps someone could share what he said there, to those who's seen it, too.

Anyways...for me, playing open-handed is not necessary but it's important. If you're used to play the other way, there's no need to shift. As John Tempesta said during his clinic here, "Stick to your guns.". But ofcourse it's important for drummers to be ambidextrous, it helps you with your independence and other things. Plus it gives a different feel when you play open-handedly, parang yun yung sinabi ni Mr. Gadd, as i faintly remember.
"Praise Him with drums and dancing...Praise Him with cymbals. Praise Him with loud cymbals."- Psalms 150:4-5

Offline michael.astigin

• Netizen Level
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 09:56:59 PM »
Ako left handed, nung simula open handed ako until mapanood ko sarili ko sa video. Napangitan akong tingnan kaya nagpractice ako iclose pero hindi ko pa rin kinalimutan ung pagiging open handed ko.
Kaya ngayon, ginagamit kong advantage ko ang pagiging ambidextrous ko
Astigin!!

Offline lockedonstratos

• Netizen Level
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 11:21:12 PM »
lefty ako sa instruments (guitar, drums) and I use instruments for right handed's .  I put my ride a little bit high para magkaspace yung kanan kong kamay for the snare. naka cross hands pag ride XD
advantages is that your left hand can keep the beat with the snare and hihat while your right hand goes around the kit :D and your a bit ready for using double pedals. (kasi from the start kung kaliwete ka, dominant yung kanan mong paa)

disadvantages is that at the early stage, nahirapan ako mag keep ng beats lalo na yung sa bass and snare. :D