hulika

Author Topic: how to be a dj? what equipments to buy? how to setup dj mixers etc.?  (Read 57509 times)

Offline ihce_16

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: how to be a dj? what equipments to buy? how to setup dj mixers etc.?
« Reply #275 on: November 02, 2008, 04:38:18 AM »
sir jepoy muzta na po. bka po nakalimutan nyo na ako?

nabasa ko yung ibang pagtatalo dito. medyo nakakaasar ang mga sinasabi. ok sana but wla sa lugar. hehehe

dualcoil

magaling ka ba talaga? muka kaseng magaling ka eh.

ano ba alam mo sa pagddj?

masasabi ko sa digital dj & analog dj same lang yan pareho mong kailangan ng tega jan. kahit digital pa yan sasablay karin kung hindi mo gagamitan ng tega.

malalaman lng naman ang magaling na dj kung kaya niyang dalhin ang mag tao na nakikinig sayo.

PEACE!!!

Offline karlo

ableton + serato announce partnership
« Reply #276 on: November 10, 2008, 09:46:06 PM »
wuah! wonder what will come out of this? imagine the integration of serato's vinyl control and real time scratching and the on-the-fly beat re-mashing/timestretching/audio production lunacy of live!  :-o

hopefully, this'll put an end to the whole pointless debate of what constitutes real dj'ing. clearly, things have changed.

http://www.ableton.com/serato-partnership

ableton announced a partnership with cycling '74 a while back but nothing came out of that deal... hope this one goes differently.

and hopefully, the final product will be made available as an upgrade to existing users.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:48:35 PM by karlo »
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline feraskulio

« Reply #277 on: November 12, 2008, 10:37:08 AM »
Okay, pathetic english aside, Ima DJ noob (hey, that may be a good name DJ NOOB  :-D, patent pending ), anyway, I've been tinkering about the idea for years now, (yes, years around '92), it was either the guitar or the turntable, fortunately my mom said the guitar was cheaper so I ended up with one.  Ngayong medyo matanda na and i kinda have enough dough, I'm thinking of getting a decent DJ set, and here are a few of my considerations...

1.  I'm going Digital para madali ang setup (so keep your comments round the digital era of things, we don't need to know if u rubbed elbows with the janitor on magic 89.9 nung 19kopong-kopong...)

2.  For starters, should I get the Cortex Dmix-300 or the Numark Total Control or is there anything you'd recommend?  Wag sana masyadong mahal (budget would be around 20k so the SSL is out of the question, wala pang ttbl yun)...

3.  I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running on 1.6 Pentium M with 1.5 gigs of memory and an 80 HD, pwede na ba yun?

4.  I'm going to be DJing (??) with my band, medyo metal and dating ala DJ Lethal or Sid from Slipknot, is there any difference? I mean if I'm going for this kind of style?

5.  What other equipment do I need?  Besides the USB interface, Laptop and mixing console?  Do i need anything more if I play live in bars/parties/etc?  Do i plug in an amp or straight to the bars mixer?

i'm new to this so wag masyado brutal ang comments  :-D.  Yes, I'm practicing beatmatching and timing right now, so if I ever do own a mixing console madali na lang, hopefully...  So comments and recommendations would be very much welcome and please do comment IF you actually know what you're talking about, wag yung napupulot nyo lang sa web o sa youtube o naimagine nyo lang habang nka-jutz, kaya ko rin yun e... Salamat!  Cheers!  :-D

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #278 on: November 16, 2008, 12:48:54 AM »
i want to be a dj ..

Offline infect

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #279 on: November 16, 2008, 12:58:15 AM »
gusto rin mag dj

Offline infect

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #280 on: November 16, 2008, 01:06:27 AM »
noong unang panahon...dati nung wala pa yung pioneer (eto ata yung first mixer na may integrated bpm counter na nakita ko)...mano mano ang pagkuha ng bpm

nakukuha yung bpm ng song using 2 technics 1200s. lagay mo yung song in question sa isang deck, tapos hanap ka ng song na may nakalagay na bpm dun sa 2nd deck. make sure na nasa gitna yung pitch control nung may known bpm (halimbawa 120bpm). tapos habulin mo yung beat dun sa first deck (na may unknown bpm) let's say for example +2% sa pitch control readout so mas mabagal yung bpm nung unknown song kaya gagawin mo subtract mo yung percentage dun sa 120bpm:

convert mo muna yung 2% to decimal = 0.02

120bpm - (1 - 0.02) = 117 bpm yung bpm nung unknown song

kung -2% naman e di add mo sya e.g.

120bpm - (1 + 0.02) = 122 bpm yung bpm nung unknown song

pwede lang tong method na to sa mga accurate na quartz turntables

scientific calculator? :?

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #281 on: November 16, 2008, 03:26:07 AM »
Not to burst anyone's bubble on the qfo, but I think the Qfo is a waste. I've recently tried it out last week, and I wasn't impressed. I rather have a Vestax turntable, and a Rane 56 for skratching.

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #282 on: November 16, 2008, 03:40:47 AM »
Okay, pathetic english aside, Ima DJ noob (hey, that may be a good name DJ NOOB  :-D, patent pending ), anyway, I've been tinkering about the idea for years now, (yes, years around '92), it was either the guitar or the turntable, fortunately my mom said the guitar was cheaper so I ended up with one.  Ngayong medyo matanda na and i kinda have enough dough, I'm thinking of getting a decent DJ set, and here are a few of my considerations...

1.  I'm going Digital para madali ang setup (so keep your comments round the digital era of things, we don't need to know if u rubbed elbows with the janitor on magic 89.9 nung 19kopong-kopong...)

2.  For starters, should I get the Cortex Dmix-300 or the Numark Total Control or is there anything you'd recommend?  Wag sana masyadong mahal (budget would be around 20k so the SSL is out of the question, wala pang ttbl yun)...

3.  I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running on 1.6 Pentium M with 1.5 gigs of memory and an 80 HD, pwede na ba yun?

4.  I'm going to be DJing (??) with my band, medyo metal and dating ala DJ Lethal or Sid from Slipknot, is there any difference? I mean if I'm going for this kind of style?

5.  What other equipment do I need?  Besides the USB interface, Laptop and mixing console?  Do i need anything more if I play live in bars/parties/etc?  Do i plug in an amp or straight to the bars mixer?

i'm new to this so wag masyado brutal ang comments  :-D.  Yes, I'm practicing beatmatching and timing right now, so if I ever do own a mixing console madali na lang, hopefully...  So comments and recommendations would be very much welcome and please do comment IF you actually know what you're talking about, wag yung napupulot nyo lang sa web o sa youtube o naimagine nyo lang habang nka-jutz, kaya ko rin yun e... Salamat!  Cheers!  :-D

I think you brought up an excellent question.

It really depends on how you want to approach the djing aspect, when it comes to djing with a band. Most of the bands I've djed with, wanted me to skratch, or throw in a lot of synth sounded effects. 

Mixing wise, it's all up to the person, to weather to go digital, or hardware. A lot of ppl argue too much on the Serato vs. Cd vs. Hard Vinyl vs. Mp3 laptop. that they forgot the key thing about djing 1. Having fun 2. Have the crowd enjoy what your playing, so it's important that you interact with the crowd.3. Practice practice practice..

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #283 on: November 16, 2008, 03:44:02 AM »
As far as the computer part,  I'm not too familiar with those programs.

When I use to dj clubs, I brought a lot gear with me, serato, back up compilation vinyls, and my mixer.

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #284 on: November 16, 2008, 03:49:16 AM »
some skratch videos...

me, and some of my homies

Session part 1

Session part 2

My friend's old crew here in Houston: The TRUTH

me, dabbling on some new techniques, and talking to my homie...

peace,

Mos

Offline Stay Defiant

« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2008, 05:43:19 AM »
mag gitara na lang kayo, mura pa.

kailangan talaga may dedication kayo sa DJing kung wala eh sinayang niyo lang ang pawis niyo.
...must not sleep...must warn others.

Offline loudchild

« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2008, 08:56:38 AM »
sa lahat naman ng bagay kung gusto mo talaga gawin e dapat may dedicatin ka e.or else isa lang tawag sayo. Poser ka lang.nakikiuso para matawag na cool.

Offline infect

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #287 on: November 16, 2008, 10:51:18 AM »
equipments-buy some first some 2 belt drives and 1 crappy mixer try it out first before buying some descent equipments dnt buy american djs or gemini dj product
have fun
PS-if you want to be a dj just to have money and fame forget it  get yourself a job or work hard

SAKA post a file btch and prove it. dnt be a keyboard warrior.

i remember this faggot trying to be hardcore about djing saying.dmc is the ultimate comp and stealing videos tapos post sya saknya daw .dmc phil is weak ass competition no disrepect but is the the truth.kaya ayaw ko talaga makijam d2 sa mga dj sa pinas mayayabang feeling untouchable wtf.konti lang talaga humble djs d2 sa pinas.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:51:27 PM by infect »

Offline feraskulio

« Reply #288 on: November 16, 2008, 05:06:22 PM »

kailangan talaga may dedication kayo sa DJing kung wala eh sinayang niyo lang ang pawis niyo.

I think its not a matter of how much Im going to spend but how much time Im willing to give it to get better, masaya na ako sa gear ko sa gitara at yung kaya kong gawin, now Im willing to try some new stuff out para ma broaden yung alam ko . Kung pera lang d problema yan, kung magustuhan ko, why not? Kaya ako naghhnap ng murang stuff e if ever na di ako gumaling di ako manghihinayang. Are u even a DJ in the first place? 

Salamat sa mga nag reply ng maayos, I'm gonna order a Numark na lang, maganda nman ang reviews e....

Offline infect

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #289 on: November 16, 2008, 08:20:11 PM »
I think its not a matter of how much Im going to spend but how much time Im willing to give it to get better, masaya na ako sa gear ko sa gitara at yung kaya kong gawin, now Im willing to try some new stuff out para ma broaden yung alam ko . Kung pera lang d problema yan, kung magustuhan ko, why not? Kaya ako naghhnap ng murang stuff e if ever na di ako gumaling di ako manghihinayang. Are u even a DJ in the first place? 

Salamat sa mga nag reply ng maayos, I'm gonna order a Numark na lang, maganda nman ang reviews e....

what kind of numark product bro maybe i can help or Mos can help you
dnt listens to others who trying to be hardcore about djing peace :-D

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #290 on: November 17, 2008, 03:52:04 AM »

Post up a link of the setup.

Will you be doing more mixing or skratching for a band?

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #291 on: November 17, 2008, 03:59:34 AM »
equipments-buy some first some 2 belt drives and 1 crappy mixer try it out first before buying some descent equipments dnt buy american djs or gemini dj product
have fun
PS-if you want to be a dj just to have money and fame forget it  get yourself a job or work hard

SAKA post a file btch and prove it. dnt be a keyboard warrior.

i remember this faggot trying to be hardcore about djing saying.dmc is the ultimate comp and stealing videos tapos post sya saknya daw .dmc phil is weak ass competition no disrepect but is the the truth.kaya ayaw ko talaga makijam d2 sa mga dj sa pinas mayayabang feeling untouchable wtf.konti lang talaga humble djs d2 sa pinas.

hahaha, so much heat there...it's all good bro. Pabayaan mo nalang sila.

Just hone your skills, and you'll eventually find the right people to link up with. They'll help you develop your style/skills.

:mrgreen:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:01:06 AM by DjMOSA »

Offline Stay Defiant

« Reply #292 on: November 17, 2008, 04:02:05 AM »
huwag na HUWAG bibili ng Belt drive dahil ito ay mabagal magstart at mabilis masira yung belt.

sa ngayong panahon ng krisis pang-ekonomiya, ang re-recommend ko sa mga baguhan ay CD players dahil low maintenance, ayos din ito kung marami ka ng CD collection, skip free, built-in effects and other convenience. burn pirate mp3's and play it straight away.
I hate to admit it, but CD/DVD is the future (or the present) of the DJing

pero kung kailangan talaga mag-iskrats ng plaka eto ang aking rekomenda.

budget wise with estimated price:
2x second hand technics 1200 or Stanton or Numark directdrive (recommend ko Technics kasi hindi agad bumababa ang presyo kung sakali ibenta kung hindi para sa iyo ang DJing) = P30-40000
scratch mixer (Stanton SA3 or Numark, at least get the DXM+ or DM 1000+) = P15-20000

kung mayaman ang magulang:
2x Technics 1200 M5G or any high end Stanton or Numark = P60-80000
Rane56 = P30000

kung mag mix lang ng music, walang iskrats:
Behringer BCD3000 o M-Audio Exponent = P10-15000
+ laptop

include mo pa speakers, amplifiers, cables, headphones, cartridge, needles, etc.

and the most expensive bit, RECORDS. kung bibilangin ko yung nagastos ko sa records siguradong lagpas P100,000

nagsisi ba ako? hindi naman, kung dumating yung serato 5 years ago siguro konti lang ang nagastos ko sa plaka.

now who wants to battle :lol:?

Offline Stay Defiant

« Reply #293 on: November 17, 2008, 04:21:36 AM »
tol i-try mo ng matagal sa tindahan bago mo bilhin kasi medyo dehado yung controllers.
think of the latency. think how long (secs-mins) can you skratch before you crash your computer.
unfortunately talagang pang mixing lang yung dalawa but your welcome to prove me wrong.

recommend ko talaga yung CDJ, kahit isang CDJ at low end mixer ayos na sa banda. dont rely on laptop cause they will crash. yung DJ sa Queso isa lang yung turntable niya.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:28:20 AM by Stay Defiant »

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #294 on: November 17, 2008, 05:22:38 AM »
interesting list, and good post.

I guess i'll respond with my own recommendations.

if your main sole reason of djing, is to skratch.

I suggest..

Vestax PDX turntable, and a Rane 56. You don't need to get two turntables, if  your just planning on skratching. The PDX, has the ultra pitch ,and as a skratch dj, I can personally tell you, the ultra pitched helped me a lot. By slowing down the speed of the turntable, you'll be able to control the record much better, hence better hand control on your skratching. ( another turntable recommendation for skratching is the TTX-1 )

The Rane 56 is industry standard when it comes to skratching, I haven't kut with any other mixer thats a better mixer, other than the Rane *56 ( 57 with a serato ). Ive gone thru a lot of mixers, vestax, gemini, numarks, radio shack mixers and tascam. Non came close to the rane 56. If your a Dj on a budget, try to look for a Tascam xs-4 or xs-8, the only thing is, they're rare to find. Tascams are great because of their durability, and the quality of the fader.  I've owned a tascam for over 4 years, and the fader hasn't bled. And I really beat the ish out of that mixer, bringing it to gigs, clubs, practices and sessions.

If you want to push your musicality with turntables, i suggest using the Controller One turntable. The Controller One is developed by Ricci Rucker, and Dstyles. A very innovative turntable, consisting with turntable notation. A very helpful tool, for both your producer minded djs, and as well as turntablist.

If your main goal is JUST to MIX, Techs are fine, no matter if they're used or not. As long as they run, they're fine. They're industry standards, and if you dj in clubs, 99.8% of them will have techs in their club.

I think Infect was on point about the belt drives. If your a BEGINNER, and if your on the fence about djing. Then belt drives, or "Dj in a box" systems are fine. As far as the start ups, I suggest not using the rubber mats provided with the turntable. Just use a slipmat, or some butter rugs. I've used belt drives when I first started out, and it served it's purpose as a beginner set up. You can buy second hand techs as well, if you like, but it's all about pricing, and the different deals you run in to. It's all up to you.

You don't have to be rich to have these things, you just got to be wise when you purchase it.

:wink:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:43:07 AM by DjMOSA »

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #295 on: November 17, 2008, 05:40:49 AM »
woops forgot to add in some more input.

I've used serato, vinyl, cds, and mp3s. A lot of people have different opinions about it.

I'm still in love with Vinyl, I'm a vinyl digger. I dig for rare sounds, rare music, and just records I really like. Like any other vinyl digger I have my stories about record digging, but I'll save that for another day.

Is vinyl dead? it's in its death bed for sure. Not a lot of places sell vinyl, or even rare vinyls anymore. With the birth of serato, I knew a lot of record companies will slowly shut down it's record production. Did Serato kill Vinyl? nope, WE the people, the djs killed vinyl, not serato. With today's technology, I wasn't surprise by its timing, and production. It's demise is neither good nor bad. It's good because a lot of djs can bring a laptop around their backpack instead of hauling bags and bags of records. And I've been in that position where I had to haul 4+ bags of record bags, with my equipment. Not fun at all. And it's bad, because that a lot of the newer club djs never got the experience, and hard work of digging for a certain record. They missed the actual feeling of fighting for records, and traveling to different cities looking for record shops. It just came to easy, and never really got that experience. 

Serato, cds and the mp3's made the life of a mix dj easier.

Offline feraskulio

« Reply #296 on: November 17, 2008, 10:05:47 AM »
Salamat sa lhat ng reply, I think digital is the way to go nowadays, mas portable at mas malaki ang library mo.  I'm getting the Numark Total control... Next problem ko cguro is the USB interface/soundcard....

Link for the Numark... http://www.numark.com/totalcontrol

But as you guys said, if i want to get the feel of being a DJ, vinyl is the way to go.  I think Im gonna invest on the Serato, try ko muna tong Numark. Ciao!

Offline infect

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #297 on: November 17, 2008, 10:21:43 AM »

you sounds arrogant with that statement you like  a expert swimmer that never  gets into the pool.dedication kala ko ba hobby and djing and having fun.

Offline DjMOSA

• Netizen Level
« Reply #298 on: November 17, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »
Salamat sa lhat ng reply, I think digital is the way to go nowadays, mas portable at mas malaki ang library mo.  I'm getting the Numark Total control... Next problem ko cguro is the USB interface/soundcard....

Link for the Numark... http://www.numark.com/totalcontrol

But as you guys said, if i want to get the feel of being a DJ, vinyl is the way to go.  I think Im gonna invest on the Serato, try ko muna tong Numark. Ciao!

cool, good luck, and let us know what u think personally once you've gotten it.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #299 on: November 17, 2008, 01:38:03 PM »

re: feeling untouchable djs...

can u please name some names of the djs ur refering to... maybe you can pm me and lets compare notes hehehe. Meron talagang ibang nag champion lang feeling untouchable na pero meron ding iba na more of sharing skills.

i know a group of djs here in manila whos more into education and sharing what they know and they sometimes organize a jam. Anybody can actually tag along specially those who really wants to learn to be a scratch djs.

I just hope this is not the group you're sayin.

good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]