The Music Forums > Soul Patrol

IS THE PHILS. READY FOR RNB??

(1/8) > >>

jay4roca:
Why dont we have that much RnB Artists in the Philippines such as Usher, Mario, Cris Brown etc.?

What would you say if there's a RnB album coming out (just Pinoy Singer)?

I think Jay-R is doing a great job and e.g Kyla ... !!

Actually we got a lot pinoy -ay RnB Singers like Nicole Scherziger, Cassie etc...
But where are the artists straight hailing from the Phils.?

dominant_chord2005:
Just like any genre, all forms of music just come and go...

That's the thing with music here, pag di na uso..wala nang tumatangkilik.

I remember way back when rnb was the name of the game...when South Border, Passage, MIke Luis, K 24/7 and the rest of the rnb movement was se;ling like hotcakes.    Everyone was into them like they were into the likes of Babyface, Ushe4r, Boyz II Men, 112, and other foreign rnb acts. Blackstreet was then hardrock cafe's national anthem with Dont leave and I wanna be your man. And MYMP was still a full band.

If you're asking me,. we're very much ready..kaya lng the music producers got tired of it coz they think its not making money. They focused their energies more on the local alt bands because of the masa appeal.

Pasalamt nalng tau at me pinoy soul movement..its a way of making rnb music alive.

jay4roca:
oh yeah you're damn ryt!

thats what everybody told me ... rnb aint pang masa anymore :-(

actually i want to release a rnb VA album in phils. so im wondering if it can come back to the old rnb days..??

marzi:

--- Quote from: jay4roca on November 30, 2007, 01:55:36 PM ---oh yeah you're damn ryt!

thats what everybody told me ... rnb aint pang masa anymore :-(

actually i want to release a rnb VA album in phils. so im wondering if it can come back to the old rnb days..??

--- End quote ---

just make sure you have a straight tongue when you sing tagalog rnb songs...not like those annoying "balu-baluktot" pinoy rnb singers... :-) :wink:

makinao:
In my mind, the Philippine music scene is ready for anything new, given that most of what you hear on radio nowadays are stuck in their respective stylistic boxes. There are a precious few who are pushing the limits their genres, and even fewer that offer something really "out of the box". But there are lots of interesting acts in the periphery which the mainstream never hears, and/or which the music industry doesn't consider lucrative.

I know I'm going to get flamed for some of what I'm about to say, but someone's got to do the dirty work. So here goes......

I think one of the problems of R&B in the Philippines is that local musicians haven't figured out how to assimilate the genre into our musical culture. I hate to say this, but having heard what passes for R&B locally, I've come to the conclusion that those musicians don't quite understand the fundamental contexts of African-American music. In short, they simply don't "get it". This lack of understanding therefore renders them unable to assimilate these into Philippine culture. The rock scene solved this problem decades ago. JDLC, The Dawn, The Eraserheads, Joey Ayala, and a host of others got it right either instinctively or purposively. The same is true with the "pop" scene. But R&B (and regretfully, Jazz) failed to follow through on the occasions when they were on the threshold of achieving critical mass. 

So until the local R&B musicians "get" the Afro-American context, and how to assimilate it into Philippine culture, R&B will remain remote and irrelevant to the "masa" and the local music scene at large.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version