hulika

Author Topic: Request for opinion on Drumkit  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Request for opinion on Drumkit
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »
Well...the whole thing is kinda whacked, if only because it's so new. This is a special variant of the acoustic scalarizer which is practically "painted" into the entire interior of the drum shell. I'm testing the results nga e (this thread). Prior to the treatment, we could not stand this SX kit to be committed to record.

Yes this is an acoustic SX drumkit.
Well...the whole thing is kinda whacked, if only because it's so new. This is a special variant of the acoustic scalarizer which is practically "painted" into the entire interior of the drum shell. I'm testing the results nga e (this thread). Prior to the treatment, we could not stand this SX kit to be committed to record.

Yes this is an acoustic SX drumkit.

wait, if it is by means of coating the shell,
it does improve the sound.
the DIY Master of drums, Peeves24 already did this by sanding the inner part of the shell and then applying a coat of tung oil (fello forumers, correct me if im worng).
and they say it does improve the sound.
so don't you think the experiment is already redundant?
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »
then what does the scalarizers on drums do? sa guitar, narinig ko na, and it improved the sound.  :-D :-D wag nyong sabihing mag susustain ng todo ang drums?  :lol: :lol: just kidding

Di ako drummer ha so let's get that out of the way. But the drummers that gave me feedback while we were first doing this experiment in 2007 said that my SX kit went from a (konti) ply shell to a (mas maraming) ply shell. I heard the difference but I have no  "drummer-educated" terms to describe them. In short parang nag-"solidify" ang tunog. Dati din the kick drum was "kalat". Now mas solid ang tunog.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 12:15:18 AM »
wait, if it is by means of coating the shell,
it does improve the sound.
the DIY Master of drums, Peeves24 already did this by sanding the inner part of the shell and then applying a coat of tung oil (fello forumers, correct me if im worng).
and they say it does improve the sound.
so don't you think the experiment is already redundant?

Not really. Because the resin-substrate scalarizing fluid, when it hardens, does not soften the shell (like oil does) but rather makes it more rigid. If any, it's way different from oil. But y'know, before when the acoustic scalarizer itself (mukhang puto ang original prototype coz we used muffin molds back then) was new, just putting it into contact with a drum shell made the sound thicker. This is the "contact scalarizer" which I first did on guitars too. Apparently, the principle also works on drum shells.

But okay lang. It's still an open experiment. I don't know how it goes, although the results (di kasi ako drummer) looks very  encouraging.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633