hulika

Author Topic: THE JAZZ GUITAR APPRECIATION THREAD  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
THE JAZZ GUITAR APPRECIATION THREAD
« on: April 25, 2006, 12:37:17 AM »
Reading through the more recent threads, I just noticed that most of the guitar talk revolves around rock, blues and other related genres

Just wondering if there are any jazz guitar buffs out there ...

Sure, I still get a kick from hearing all those raging, blistering shred solos every once in a while, but ... I get an even bigger kick from hearing those lush chord melody solos and pianistic, counterpoint ideas - not to mention that fat, nasal humbucker tone that sounds more like a horn than a guitar ...

Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Benson, Scofield, Pat Metheny, and the list goes on ... whoever said you can't make music with just a plain ole guitar through an amp?
"No static at all ..."

Offline markflo

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 12:43:58 AM »
i'm a jazz gutiar fan! i've kinda incorporated jazz into my playing style which is rock...hmmm my jazz influences are...(well, fusion is more like it)

pat metheny
mike stern
scott henderson (blues + rock + jazz)
frank gambale

i think most of my jazz licks were stolen from these 4...hehehe

oh yea

brett garsed
allan holdsworth

i have yet to "steal" from these guys...hehehe...getting there though, i think...heheh...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline darnel

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 12:44:06 AM »
jazz enthusiast here... though di na ako masyado nakikinig sa jazz guitar players...  with the exception of kurt rosenwinkel :)

kakalungkot lng since the guitar is arguably the least explored instrument in a jazz ensemble..  :(
Notes are clever ways of getting from one silence to another

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 01:02:45 AM »
bill frisell and john mclaughlin.

plus, wes of course :D
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline darnel

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 01:06:49 AM »
titser_marco

if you like bill frisell, try listening to ben monder, and adam rogers...  :)

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 01:07:05 AM »
im a jazz music fan, hanggang pakinig na lang ata ko hehe pero starting to learn jazz lately.. sobra kong fan ng jazz music actually bumili pa ko ng libro dito jazz 101, bout sa history ng jazz.. nagstart ako maadik sa jazz when i had listened to JOHNNY ALEGRE AFFINITY pati WDOUJI, sus! ( i wish i can play like that someday) haha! sa international naman sila Joe pass, John Scofield, Mike Stern, Wes Montgonomery, Kenny G even Frank sinatra and Michael Buble..
It's not what you play, It's not how you play, It's who you are. - Aya Yuson

Chito

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 01:09:19 AM »
I'm a jazz fan too. Saw Pat Metheny play last summer. Great show, well worth the money. I consider him one of the best guitar players of all time. He's innovative just the way Wes Montgomery was.  From the past, I like Django Reindhard, Kenny Burrell, Charlie Byrd (who I saw of all places in Jeddah, SA), Jim Hall, Barney Kessel, Lenny Breau. Among the more contemporary ones, there is Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Bill Frisell, George Benson, John Mclaughlin, Al Dimeola. Has anyone heard of Joyce Cooling, she's the only famous female jazz guitar player that I know of.

Offline darnel

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 01:26:30 AM »
Pat Metheny is really a Jazz Giant, yung album nyang Bright Size Life still sound fresh, hip and modern kahit mga 20 years na nya nirecord yun..

Charlie Byrd was the first guitar player na narinig kong tumogtog ng jazz.. they were doing a tribute to Django Reinhardt ata yun

With regards to other female jazz players, Emily Remler (wife ni Larry Coryell) and Leni Stern (better half of Mike Stern), are notables, even Jennifer Batten can swing with the best of them

with regards to Kenny G.. tabi tabi po lng.. sorry po kung may ma-offend or magalit.. kahit tawagin nyo na akong Jazz Snob or Jazz Nazi but HE AINT A JAZZ MUSICIAN... adult contemporary instrumental cguro pero not JAZZ.. He is one of the main reasons why a lot of people are confused with what jazz music is supposed to be..  :)

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 04:45:50 AM »
I loooove Wes Montgomery! My fave jazz guitarist of all time! :D YEah, i'm a big jazz fan too and i've been into jazz lately (although i admit that i'm still not technically adept playing it) :D . I listen to Lee Ritenour, Mike Stern, Johnny Alegre, John Scofield and George Benson a lot. :D
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 04:53:53 AM »
Quote from: darnel
titser_marco

if you like bill frisell, try listening to ben monder, and adam rogers...  :)

Sure thing. Any records you can recommend?

I also like Adam Levy's jazz influenced playing.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 07:55:56 AM »
Don't forget a giant like Tal Farlow and innovators like Charlie Christian.

I also like Larry Carlton... but I could listen to Wes, Joe Pass, and Django all the day!

Offline south of heaven

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 08:14:33 AM »
Quote from: titser_marco
bill frisell and john mclaughlin.

plus, wes of course :D

Ladyboy  :lol:
Bastard sons begat your cunting daughters!!

Offline darnel

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 10:01:36 AM »
Sure thing. Any records you can recommend?

I also like Adam Levy's jazz influenced playing

For Ben Monder there's

Oceana
Flux
Dust

Adam Rogers

Art of the Invincible
Apparitions

Adam Levy sometimes reminds me of Bill Frisell din... I think they both played on Norah Jones's "come away with me" album pero not on the same track... Adam Rogers also played on that album

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 10:11:18 AM »
Pat Metheny,  :D , Wes Montgomery..

Jazz guitarist here.. It's pretty rare to find fellow players..  :)

Offline nicemusic

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 10:36:59 AM »
+1 kay Darnel re: Kenny G. being Jazz... :roll:

try googling Pat Metheny's appreciation thread kay Kenny G. and youll understand why... :wink:

but no offense to those who like Kenny G.'s music just please dont include it in the Jazz Genre :D

konti lang ang local Jazz guitarist sa atin pero try listening to Aya Yuson of WDOUJI (he released a solo indie album try to get a copy) and Johnny Alegre of AFFINITY, Darnel kaw ba walang balak to shift careers? :D

sa foreign naman madami ang mga young guns sila Kurt Rosenwinkle at Steve Cardenas, Peter Bernstein. And ang mga veterans na sila Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Mike Stern. And of course sila Wes Montgomery(who influenced a lot of guitarists including Joe Satriani), Joe Pass, Grant Green...

Offline darnel

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 10:53:29 AM »
konti lang ang local Jazz guitarist sa atin pero try listening to Aya Yuson of WDOUJI (he released a solo indie album try to get a copy) and Johnny Alegre of AFFINITY, Darnel kaw ba walang balak to shift careers?  

wala, hehe, sad to say walang career ang jazz musician sa pinas.. kahit sa states, mahirap mangareer sa jazz.. most of the jazzers here play for the love of it not for the money... besides im not worthy  :)

kung local jazz guitarist, pinakafavorite ko c sir Bob Aves.. Berklee grad sya, he did one album recently "inner country"... mismo talaga

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 11:06:03 AM »
joe pass talaga ako.. hehe

tsaka charlie byrd...
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 01:08:08 PM »
i am a massive George Benson fan. I was fortunate enough to be at one of his shows, meet the man, and get an autograph for my original 70's era copy of Breezin'.

I am also a fan of Steve Oliver, a jazz fusion guitarist, and Lee Ritenour.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 01:16:42 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
i am a massive George Benson fan. I was fortunate enough to be at one of his shows, meet the man, and get an autograph for my original 70's era copy of Breezin'.

i haven't listened to lee ritenour in a long time.  i used to have a couple of his videos... back in the days when uso pa ang betamax!  i'm sure some forum members don't even recall betamax...  :lol:

dolphin dreams is a favorite of mine although i read that lee got a lot of flak for playing a "synthe axe".

Offline nicemusic

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 01:54:28 PM »
to Darnel :

Puede naman Major and Minor career ah... He he just try not to think about the money?  :wink: This country needs a lot more jazz guitarists, dami na rock at metal eh :D Havent heard that one from Bob Aves?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 04:30:33 PM »
PRS, yeah - not a lot of people got into using the synth axes pero Roland eventually produced the V series guitar synths which are still being used many guitar players out there - including jazz fusion players although they use integrated MIDI pickups in the guitar which prevents them from even switching guitars at all to trigger synth modules.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 06:21:38 PM »
George Benson fan here...

Metheny I think is too much... he is an alien! :) I watched a concert of him playing with a 50-piece orchestra, and he was blazing! di ko masyado na appreciate.

Can we consider Tuck Andres as a jazz guitarist? kung ganon, Tuck is a GOD!

playing-wise, i was trying to incorporate yung walking bass line to my guitar playing..pero napakahirap talaga.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 08:24:09 PM »
Quote from: PRSMan
Quote from: abyssinianson

i haven't listened to lee ritenour in a long time.  i used to have a couple of his videos... back in the days when uso pa ang betamax!  i'm sure some forum members don't even recall betamax...  :lol:

dolphin dreams is a favorite of mine although i read that lee got a lot of flak for playing a "synthe axe".

Napanood ko yung dibidi nung Dolphin Dreams yung kasama si Dave Gruisin. Ang kulet ng itsura nung gitara nya dun.hehe Pero it's a nice song. :D

Have you seen Fourplay live with Lee Ritenour? Galing! :D

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 08:26:06 PM »
Wow! Looks like we've got quite a lot of jazz fans here! That's good to know ...

Like most of you here, I got my first taste of jazz guitar through Benson. I mean, jazz as in trad jazz. Previously, I got myself hooked on a McLaughlin-DiMeola speed trip ... hehe... and boy, it sure was quite a strange trip ...

It was guys like Benson and Metheny who made me realize the inherent beauty of fewer notes with emphasis on melody (not that McLaughlin can't do it though, with all due respect)

During those days, I'd saturate myself with Benson's 'Breezin' and 'Weekend In L.A.' and 'Living Inside Your Love' albums.. Man, to this day, those songs still sound so fresh ..

As for Metheny, his music has become sort of a soundtrack of my life already. Sure, he IS a jazz guitar giant, but I don't find his music as 'excessive' as, say, Allan Holdsworth ... but that's another thread.

I know Metheny has a lot of songs that showcase his fluid, bebopish melodic phrasing, but if I were to pick my favorite Metheny track, it would still be ...

'Last Train Home' - from the Still Life Talking album ..

There's just something about that song ... that chugging intro, the beat, and that sitar-like melody that perks you up and lifts your spirits when you're in a blue funk ..

Now, I know that's not jazz in its purest sense, but well, I'm just putting my two cents as to my fave Metheny tracks ...

How about you guys? Any favorite tracks from your jazz heroes? And why?
"No static at all ..."

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 08:36:10 PM »
I say i'd go for Wes Montgomery's 'Round Midnight and Yesterday because it really touches my heart. Talagang damang-dama ko sila whenever i listen to them. It's full of soul and substance and expression and it speaks in such a way that it touches me emotionally and spiritually. It strikes me in awe that i don't have to worry about the technical aspects of the song. I just wanna listen to the music at that moment and nothing more. :D