hulika

Author Topic: MASTODON - crack the skye  (Read 3409 times)

Offline trojanvundo

• Veteran Member
MASTODON - crack the skye
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »
Isang malaking *thumbs down

kung nagustuhan niyo blood mountain, mas magugustuhan niyo ito, iniwan na nila ang pagka-bigat ng tunog nila katulad sa remission at leviathan, naging the mastodon volta na sila lol
I don't bully, I just have standards, on and offline.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: MASTODON - crack the skye
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:37:43 AM »
Isang malaking *thumbs down

kung nagustuhan niyo blood mountain, mas magugustuhan niyo ito, iniwan na nila ang pagka-bigat ng tunog nila katulad sa remission at leviathan, naging the mastodon volta na sila lol

Chong, parang pareho tayo ng sentiments.  Blood Mountain and Leviathan were 1000x better.  Nawala yung angas.  Dunno if that is the direction they really wanna take though. 

And the toanz is gone.  :oops:

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »
Balls are all gone. They're now "progressive metal". Doesn't sound like it progressed much from progressive rock.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »
ah talaga? i loved blood mountain...naghahanap na nga ako sa fully booked nung crack the skye kaso ala pa
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 02:27:01 PM »
I think one thing that makes this album distinctly different off the bat was that Brendan O'Brien was behind the mixing boards doing production duty.  The two albums prior were produced by Matt Bayles.  The band was so intent on trying to change things around and felt that they wanted a natural musical evolution from Remission, then to Leviathan and Blood Mountain, and now with Crack The Skye.  I think one conscious reason behind this change is that there are other bands like Nachtmystium and Baroness (I highly recommend picking up the untitled Red album) that are also creeping into the sound that was first mined by Mastodon. 

I actually welcome the new sound.  I was curious to see if the group could write shorter songs and incorporate longer guitar solos into their bag of tricks.  In that respect, the experiment proved successful.  This is a band that has members that continue to challenge themselves musically.  I also think that they have an obligation to the major label they signed to...who in turn wants to see a profit off this album.  This is the fine line artists have to walk to please everyone in the process.

I'm totally psyched to see the album played in it's entirety tomorrow evening.  For this leg of the tour, Intronaut and Kylesa will be doing support duty.  I'm excited to see those bands as well--perhaps moreso for Intronaut though.

Offline woodstockintheattic

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »
Was able to buy the album which includes a bonus DVD almost a month ago. There may be mixed reviews about it but IMO it's a good one and definitely something new on the table for the band. It's once again another concept album for the band but sounds way different and more experimental as compared to their previous efforts. The prog aspect of their music is still very prominent but the sound can be more associated with 70s prog and classic rock. Brann Dailor is one of my favorite drummers and I could say that his drumming in "The Last Baron" is by far his best drumtrack to date.The sound they came up with in this album permitted more guitar solos from Brent Hinds. There are funky passages in some songs which showed a different yet interesting side of Troy and Brann. As to vocals, there's barely any screaming in this one and Brann does some vocals in the track "Oblivion". The DVD was interesting as it showed the making of the album, gear discussion as well as a detailed explanation of the album's concept.
Go beyond what has already been written.

www.myspace.com/barbaromusika

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »
sana available na sa pinas
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »
I love Crack the Skye. The sound is just different, open and huge. Lots of sonic magic in between.

Offline makata

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 11:02:56 PM »
they're trying a new flavor .... be open minded about it.... yun nga ang maganda hindi nagiging stagnant o isang tunog ang banda....  8-)
A true musician doesn't stick to one genre...He is then influenced by the different musical cultures he interacted to and belonged to....

Offline trojanvundo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 10:41:08 AM »
they're trying a new flavor .... be open minded about it.... yun nga ang maganda hindi nagiging stagnant o isang tunog ang banda....  8-)

apples and oranges

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »
nothing will ever replace

BLOOOOD AND THUUUUUUUUUUUUUNDDDDDEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR

in my heart.

Offline trojanvundo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 11:11:33 AM »

Offline Calixtrus

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 02:21:38 AM »
wow dami pala Mastodon fan!
same sentiments. they won't out a bit of their metal formula and raised the expiremental side a knotch higher.
-if i die you are forgiven, if i live i will kill you-<br />    •www.myspace.com/tracesofwarmusic•

Offline makata

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 12:04:39 AM »
A true musician doesn't stick to one genre...He is then influenced by the different musical cultures he interacted to and belonged to....