hulika

Author Topic: NGD: Greg Bennett FA-2 (w/ soundclip)  (Read 8717 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
NGD: Greg Bennett FA-2 (w/ soundclip)
« on: September 17, 2010, 03:39:49 PM »
Here's a quick soundclip of the guitar straight into a Fender Silverface Princeton Reverb. (Note: Strings are stock 9s, so it's a little brighter and slinkier than I usually like. BTW, Clip was recorded w/ iPhone voice memo app so it actually sounds better in person/live. It also sounded better w/ ZT Lunchbox :-) ).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=398267&songID=9655547

As I mentioned in other GB threads, I was smitten w/ the lipstick pus when I stumbled on this model. I waited till the Fairview branch had one in natural color and tested it more thoroughly. I bought it so obviously I liked it. YMMV.

The lipstick pus have a hollow clean tone that is a little different and more interesting to me than regular SC pus in Strats (which it sounds closest to). Sounds like there's some inherent quack in em. In between sounds are even more quackier. The bridge HB is uncharacteristically bright, almost Tele-like; must be a low-wind. In any case, the whole idea with this guitar is to also become a platform for a bridge Filter'tron because the Tele-style bridgeplate is already routed for HBs. But I see no need to replace anything with the other parts. Construction and build quality is as good as anything twice its price range. One thing I did notice is that there are some fret burrs (not all frets, and not terribly bothersome though). I'll have to learn to do this easy fix myself since it's no biggie, not worth paying a luthier for.

Will write out and update this post w/ a more careful and thorough review after some time with the gtr. But so far I've played it at volume with an SFPR, ZT Lunchbox, MicroCube RX, and a Line 6 amp (clean model) at last night's gig. So far so good but it sounds best thru a clean, dry amp like ZT Lunchbox.  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:56:41 PM by deltaslim »

Offline raybrig

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: NGD: Greg Bennett FA-2 (w/ soundclip)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:02:15 PM »
Wala bang "HAM" sir?  :lol:

Any pics? at makano?  :-)
zzzzzzz

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »
congrats on the NGD Joric!  i searched for it online and it looks very unique with those two lipsticks.

and i thought you were gunning for a semi-hollow.  :-)

Wala bang "HAM" sir?  :lol:

:lol:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »
Congrats sir! Sounds good from your clips.. really crisp sound and has a good bite..  :-)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:31:44 PM »
Wala bang "HAM" sir?  :lol:

Any pics? at makano?  :-)

It looks like this but this is not my actual guitar (found this via Google images but I think it is AnodBiomech's, and has since been modded. See later posts):

Around 9.6k, iirc.

Di ko nagets yung "HAM"?

congrats on the NGD Joric!  i searched for it online and it looks very unique with those two lipsticks.

and i thought you were gunning for a semi-hollow.  :-)

:lol:

I still am. Was ready to pull the trigger on one the other day (assuming it passed the test) but it got retracted.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:30:42 PM by deltaslim »

Offline Boxedking

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Congrats bossing!

Btw, eto yun HAM thread. http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,202619.0.html
www.soundclick.com/viruprison | www.soundcloud.com/lei-guitarist

Don't let the gearhead kill the musician in you. Philmusic s/b PhilGEAR

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:50:53 PM »
I still am. Was ready to pull the trigger on one the other day (assuming it passed the test) but it got retracted.

i like the top on that one! 

i was able to watch the Carole King-James Taylor reunion on DVD and the lead guitarist there used something like this, except that it was Fender and the neck pickup was HB with mid and bridge on SCs.   :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline raybrig

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »
Sure looks good boss! looks very "vir gin" hehe

Yun ham thread basahin mo sir  :-D di ka magsisisi, but sure magugutom ka  :lol:
zzzzzzz

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 09:54:15 PM »
ganda ng tone not bad for almost 10k  :roll: :roll:

Offline Mike.B.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 10:45:58 PM »
saw one of these at Lazer sa SM manila, bone nut guys. bone nut  :lol:
soundclip sounds awesome  8-)
btw, nice ObG SG on your soundclick profile photo

Bare bones board: Mooer Baby Tuner -> CBM-95 -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Mooer Ana Echo (from ron_rd7) -> Mooer Micro Looper
Powered by DIY non-isolated 9V supply

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
saw one of these at Lazer sa SM manila, bone nut guys. bone nut  :lol:
soundclip sounds awesome  8-)
btw, nice ObG SG on your soundclick profile photo

That's the amazing thing about these GB gtrs. Naka bone nut na, Grover tuners. The other parts and even the wood even seem better quality than guitars twice their price range. Great value talaga. Yehey for us budget-conscious Pinoys. Buy with your ears, not your eyes!

Re ObG, I have little loyalty for gear but it is the closest thing to a keeper I've got (unless I come across a better SG). It brings home the bacon. ;-)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »
HNGD! post some pics

Offline lenpopz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 12:28:04 AM »
Proud owner of GB guitar here. Awesome tone for its price. 8-)
Don't become obsessed with sounding like one particular player and sounding exactly like him.

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 06:51:53 AM »
GB guitars comes with awesome finish what else can we say,,,, gassing for the GB hollow body
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 10:28:27 AM »
Btw, what also attracted me to this guitar is its Tele shape, except for the headstock. Dont know when it happened but I got bored with Strat style guitars. Maybe its because of all the different flavors of it, incl superstrats.

Offline Mike.B.

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »
one more great thing about Samick GB's.
Samick produced epiphones and squiers, etc back in the 90's when production was still in Korea. so rest assured they know what they're doing ;)
and on top of it all. they're damn cheap.
check it, the Ultramatic costs 11k at lazer, and costs 20k in the States :D san ka pa?
Avion 3 costs 15k+ in the states, 10k sa lazer  8-)
plus, when i did a comparison of the avion 3 and my epi les paul, there really wasn't much difference. the neck feels great, the body weight was excellent. overall a great sounding guitar.

re ObG
keep the ObG :D they're really worth a lot nowadays :D
hopefully I could afford an ObG or maybe just an Orville or JDM Epiphone/Elitist one day. :D sucks being 16 with no cash flowing in hahahaha

Bare bones board: Mooer Baby Tuner -> CBM-95 -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Mooer Ana Echo (from ron_rd7) -> Mooer Micro Looper