hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 104834 times)

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #676 on: December 02, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »
I'd say they feel better under the fingers which in turn inspires me to play better.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #677 on: December 02, 2016, 07:01:20 PM »
For tube amp manufacturers though, these videos are pretty scary.

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #678 on: December 02, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »
reading the word "tube" reminds me to clean pipes regularly.

wtf

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #679 on: December 03, 2016, 08:15:30 AM »
For tube amp manufacturers though, these videos are pretty scary.

I wonder if these things are already emulating the tube sag and response.. I mean digital means they can time the response..

for me its just.. if I want a tube amp sound Ill get a tube amp. if I want solid state Ill get one too..

I heard a recording of an axefx on one of the prog bands here.. emulating a recto sound.. it just sounded pale.

yes it sounded like a recto..

played by a robot guitarist.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #680 on: June 29, 2018, 12:00:49 PM »
Following the old rule of searching of topics before starting a new one, I decided to do the former.

From owning solid state amps (Princeton 65 and a 15G) almost all of my guitar life (had a Peavey Valveking 8 for 6 months), I can say that tube amps does sound sweeter than solid state. Didn't want to use the "better".

Yesterday I bought this at 50% off from Crescendo Rob Mag. It's a 2015 anniversary issue and maybe that's why is half off. Don't have a pic, but here is how my "boutique" looking-made-in-china amp looks like. It has two 12AX7 and two 6V6 tubes

Plugged a Sheraton II with Alnico Classic humbuckers and the ringing from a semi-hollow was prominent. The amp was only have Tone 5 and Volume 3.

Then I plugged my recently acquired 2018 Epi LP PlusTop Pro and a Les Paul through tubes is as sweet at melted butter on hot corn on the cob. Turning on the boost function was like adding salt to the butter.

I still have to test the amp thought my modest pedal board (Phase 90+Shredhead+Corona Chorus+Carbon Copy+HOF reverb) and my Vox Tonelab EX. But I know I made a right decision.

My spouse said I also made the right choice because of the 50% discount.
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #681 on: June 29, 2018, 01:04:32 PM »
My spouse said I also made the right choice because of the 50% discount.

And also, that Century goes well as an additional motiff among other furnishings in the house unlike regular amps!  :-D Congrats!

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #682 on: July 01, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »
Years after I last read this thread, I can say that at the very least, tube amps PLAY better than solid state amps. Solid state amps sound nice but there is something about tube amps that are so responsive that I have yet to feel in any of the SS amps I have tried.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #683 on: July 01, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »
Years after I last read this thread, I can say that at the very least, tube amps PLAY better than solid state amps. Solid state amps sound nice but there is something about tube amps that are so responsive that I have yet to feel in any of the SS amps I have tried.

I recall seeing this thread few years back and I was using a Peavey Envoy 110 at that time which I loved.
I wasn't playing blues back then though nor a strat and I was just into alternative rock mostly on humbuckers and several pedals (delays and modulations)
I didn't require a responsive amp back then because even my playing skills were not dynamic lol.
I'm still no where near Eric Johnson but I have definitely improved  :idea: and playing through a tube amp with just an OD pedal and tinkering around with the knobs and switch of the guitar gave me more satisfaction than all the pedals I used to own.
So do tube amps sound better than a SS? It's a matter of preference, depending on what you like to play on what you want to get out of it.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #684 on: July 01, 2018, 09:59:52 PM »
Play hybrids (tube pre-amp, solid state power amp) para you get the best of both worlds! Haha  :-D
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #685 on: July 02, 2018, 12:29:38 PM »
Play hybrids (tube pre-amp, solid state power amp) para you get the best of both worlds! Haha  :-D

I really like my Micro Terror   :-D

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #686 on: July 02, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »
Would argue that not the best of both worlds but definitely a very happy medium!

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #687 on: July 02, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »
Would argue that not the best of both worlds but definitely a very happy medium!

same thoughts hahaha sa hybrids kasi you also get the bad of both worlds.

Fragile Tubes/extra care + limited power amp.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #688 on: July 02, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »
same thoughts hahaha sa hybrids kasi you also get the bad of both worlds.

Fragile Tubes/extra care + limited power amp.

I've had both hybrid styles (tube pre + ss power, ss pre + tube power) at several points in my gear life and some things I figured:

1. The "best elements" of tube circuits vary from player to player. Some go for the sag that tube circuits have when they stress their power supply, some go for transformer saturation, etc etc. So in that regard it's really tricky to nail it down.

2. The cab and speakers have the most influence over the resulting tone. Try hooking up your various amps to various cabs and hear it for yourself.

3. Tubes aren't fragile as we'd like to think they are. Have brought my tube combo amp to PH gigs in a cab / Uber and have not broken any tubes. You have to remember that back when all they had were tube amps in the 50s and 60s, they regularly toured with these in trucks or vans on bad roads in the US!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #689 on: July 02, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »
I've had both hybrid styles (tube pre + ss power, ss pre + tube power) at several points in my gear life and some things I figured:

1. The "best elements" of tube circuits vary from player to player. Some go for the sag that tube circuits have when they stress their power supply, some go for transformer saturation, etc etc. So in that regard it's really tricky to nail it down.

2. The cab and speakers have the most influence over the resulting tone. Try hooking up your various amps to various cabs and hear it for yourself.

3. Tubes aren't fragile as we'd like to think they are. Have brought my tube combo amp to PH gigs in a cab / Uber and have not broken any tubes. You have to remember that back when all they had were tube amps in the 50s and 60s, they regularly toured with these in trucks or vans on bad roads in the US!

agree with items 1 and 2. 3 is subject to discussion because I have had tubes breakdown for no apparent reason (per mang raul it was humidity), and my friends have these "ghost" tube breakdown as well. definitely more sensitive than a pure SS amp. ;)

hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #690 on: July 02, 2018, 08:53:58 PM »
agree with items 1 and 2. 3 is subject to discussion because I have had tubes breakdown for no apparent reason (per mang raul it was humidity), and my friends have these "ghost" tube breakdown as well. definitely more sensitive than a pure SS amp. ;)

The old tubes - RCA, GE, etc - actually are tougher than the newer tubes! The toughest new tubes I've seen so far are the JJ's, so if you find NOS tubes grab them!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #691 on: July 03, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »

so I've heard! the tubes I've had that failed were EHX and Chinese hahaha

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #692 on: July 03, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »
JJ power tubes seem to have a 4 to 5 hour limit and then they die. happened to me 3 consecutive times on a blackstar ht-20, perhaps i got a bad batch.

doing fine with rubys now.

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #693 on: July 03, 2018, 09:52:16 PM »
JJ power tubes seem to have a 4 to 5 hour limit and then they die. happened to me 3 consecutive times on a blackstar ht-20, perhaps i got a bad batch.

doing fine with rubys now.

did you bias your tubes after installing them?
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #694 on: July 03, 2018, 10:24:59 PM »
always

11.5v on R221

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #695 on: July 04, 2018, 07:57:58 AM »
ala to way
11.5v on R221

What do you guys use for biasing the tubes?
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #696 on: July 04, 2018, 08:14:54 AM »
What do you guys use for biasing the tubes?
I use a bias probe for my 6L6s but in the absence of one I just consult the tube data sheet, check the B+ and then do some math to make sure it hovers around 60-70% dissipation when idle.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #697 on: July 04, 2018, 09:52:30 AM »
I use a bias probe for my 6L6s but in the absence of one I just consult the tube data sheet, check the B+ and then do some math to make sure it hovers around 60-70% dissipation when idle.

Kosang Marco, anong amp ito?

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #698 on: July 04, 2018, 03:11:43 PM »

Sorry pre not familiar with that one....if I use a multimeter will it do?
Also this is serious stuff.....he he kakatakot.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #699 on: July 04, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
Sorry pre not familiar with that one....if I use a multimeter will it do?
Also this is serious stuff.....he he kakatakot.

You can do it with a multimeter, sure. With 6L6GCs, I usually keep the bias voltage on pin 5 at around -52v, and bring it down to about -45-49v to taste as long as I don't get any red-plating. Have had my share of shocks, but still around hehehe.