hulika

Author Topic: Question  (Read 2315 times)

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
Question
« on: April 09, 2006, 08:12:04 PM »
When I'm connecting the stereo out of my V-Amp Pro to my line-in jack, mono siya. Pero when I connect to the mic in, stereo siya. Helllp

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 08:17:03 PM »
guitar preamps, mic preamps, and other Di devices that are going through a line-in jack are meant to be recorded mono. if you want to have stereo guitars recorded, you will have to record through your line-in jack and specify the audio to record into a stereo track. your mic jack is wired for stereo.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Question
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 12:32:57 AM »
It helps if we know what soundcard you're using.

Most, if not all, consumer soundcards have had their analog I/O color coded in the last 5 years. For most of us, the most important colors are: Lime Green - Line Out and Light Blue - Line In. The Mic In is usually  pink in color. Note that with some soundcards and onboard audio, changing from ordinary stereo operation to surround mode (5.1, 7.1...) will cause some inputs to switch into output mode, often sacrificing the line and mic inputs.

Use the Vamp Pro's unbalanced 1/4" outs and use a good Y-cable; preferably, make one yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron. I've seen some y-cables and y-adapters that sum to mono. Remember that the tip in a stereo plug, be it 1/4" or 1/8", is always the left channel.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Question
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:51:08 AM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
guitar preamps, mic preamps, and other Di devices that are going through a line-in jack are meant to be recorded mono. if you want to have stereo guitars recorded, you will have to record through your line-in jack and specify the audio to record into a stereo track. your mic jack is wired for stereo.

Hmmm...lam ko kaya stereo yung mic jack it's because it uses the middle connector for phantom power.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Question
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 12:56:40 AM »
Lemme guess... malamang open ung 'sang lado kaya tunog mono... waddaya say, BAMF?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Question
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 02:42:50 AM »
Actually AFAIK, the mic in for the soundcard uses a stereo jack, but only the tip is used to take in audio. The middle ring carries a DC voltage which is used by the usual condenser mics connected to the PC. Ang alam ko, the line in is stereo.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Question
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 07:49:36 AM »
yep BAMF, yan din pagkaka-alam ko, correct me if im wrong. i used to record using an ordinary soundcard's line in.  cassette tape to hard sisk. i always get a stereo signal that way.

greenweenie, when you say you get a stereo signal thru your mic in, do you see any distinction between the left and right channel? just to take away some confusion, an identical left and right signal is still a mono signal. what do you mean when you say you get a mono signal from the line in, does the meter show only one signal coming in? if so i think there something wrong with your cables or your output.  try to experiment using a cassette or cd player. record the output thru your soundcard's line in an see if the signal is still mono.  are you using a stereo jack? if you see only one ring at the tip of your jack then it's no surprise you are getting a mono signal.

hope this helps.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744