hulika

Author Topic: Blades/Knives  (Read 28041 times)

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Blades/Knives
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2019, 01:09:38 PM »

Was once blocked by a fallen tree, I think theyre indispensable and better than panabas or machetes if cutting power is all you need.
The new one is not leaving my trunk.

could be the first(and probably the best) weapon you'd wield in case zombie doomsday comes and youre in the middle of nowhere.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2019, 11:03:43 PM »

Was once blocked by a fallen tree, I think theyre indispensable and better than panabas or machetes if cutting power is all you need.
The new one is not leaving my trunk.

How's the grind on the Birler? In 2015 or was it 2016 I acquired some axe heads from ebay. All of which I made handles for in mahogany (I believe the proper term is, to 'hang' the axe). One true temper Vulcan double bit, true temper 1-1/2lb hatchet size, and one 2lb that's only marked "Made in Sweden". Perhaps from the Hults Bruk forge from what I gather. Anyway, all are quite nice and I agree they're best for chopping, but relatively uncommon since machetes, parangs, and bolos are much preferred in SE Asia.

Medyo conflict for me because the axe was considered the right tool for chopping in boy scout training. Then in JEST they say in tropical climates when you need to clear thick overgrowth in trails, the jungle bolo is the practical multi tool to carry. You know, for cooking rice in bamboo and all that good stuff. :-D

Love axes still, because they're cool. My first one was a crappy hand me down from my Dad, a 13" long hammer/axe/ with a pry bar nail puller at the top of the head. Full tang! Alog talaga buong braso mo if you use it to trim yard branches of santol and duhat.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »
^^
I was thinking of getting a machete too for clearing dense brush pero I think I wouldn't do it that much but, who knows. Birler's head is heavy and is good for power chopping, blades sharpness is still still the same as when brand new after cutting local mahoganies and thick and hard chico branches. Issue is the head is getting a little loose, the wood might have shrunk a little, I already know this issue of the head getting wobbly prior to getting one and I think may remedyo naman jan or have someone replace the wood handle or I could do it myself pag sinipag ako.haha Its really fun cutting woods/trees plus the calories burned for the activity. I might try to take down a big sampaloc tree this week.
"creeping deeaath"