hulika

Author Topic: Lets talk about Transcribing...  (Read 2202 times)

Offline christiansax

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Lets talk about Transcribing...
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum so bear with me.  :)

I recently started to learn how transcribing works and would like to know what tour take in transcribing and how do you internalize the licks you transcribe. I learned a few things from some good teachers of music like Janek Gwizdala, Bob Reynolds, Alex Sampson that transcribing is not just learning the licks by itself. I learned that I should be able to play it in all keys and also come up with some good ideas from that lick which will make my sound original. A 3-6 sec. lick will probably take me at least a week or 2 to get used to. That includes playing it over and over again with a looper for hours and try to come up with my own idea from it.

What do you think? Anything you can add to it?  :-D
Sapagka't sa biyaya kayo'y nangaligtas sa pamamagitan ng pananampalataya; at ito'y hindi sa inyong sarili, ito'y kaloob ng Dios; Hindi sa pamamagitan ng mga gawa, upang ang sinoman ay huwag magmapuri. (Mga Taga-Efeso 2:8, 9 TLAB)

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Lets talk about Transcribing...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »
From what I understand, transcribing songs means writing music down from start to end. Transcribing solos means writing down the solos (of course, captain obvious.) Normally, when you transcribe songs, you should also be able to play through them, with the actual tempo.

Learning solos note per note, across an entire song, provides an idea on how the great artists think during solo - when they breath and when they speak a lot, when they say many and when they say little. The more you transcribe, the more ideas you have - not just licks but entire song ideas - substitutions, lines, rests, etc. Eventually, you can reapply song ideas which may lead to great arrangements, great solos, etc.