hulika

Author Topic: wat's the difference between 7-string guitar and 6 string guitar?  (Read 19079 times)

Offline blue_raven

• Forum Fanatic
Re: wat's the difference between 7-string guitar and 6 string guitar?
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 12:01:21 AM »
ganun din masabi ko sa 7 string. totoo nga na mas marami kang hindi magawa sa 7 string compared sa 6 string, so you tend to be disappointed kasi hindi mo na magawa yung lightning arpeggio sweeps mo at the same quality and speed, and at the same time, yung mga songs na cover mo, hindi kailangan ng additional range, panggulo pa minsan kasi nasasagi mo yung extra string at sumasabit ka tuloy.

oh, i don't think so.

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 12:08:19 AM »
sounds heavier with the low b www.pedallion.com music online store philippines
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:05:53 PM by pao2pao16 »

Offline IncX

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 12:11:51 AM »
ganun din masabi ko sa 7 string. totoo nga na mas marami kang hindi magawa sa 7 string compared sa 6 string, so you tend to be disappointed kasi hindi mo na magawa yung lightning arpeggio sweeps mo at the same quality and speed, and at the same time, yung mga songs na cover mo, hindi kailangan ng additional range, panggulo pa minsan kasi nasasagi mo yung extra string at sumasabit ka tuloy.

oh, i don't think so.

oh well, if you can do everything you want to do on a 7 string, then thats good. i have a 7 string, and i can do things there that  i do on a 6 string... just because di ako marunong mag sweep picking in the first place, heheehehe.... alam ko medyo maninibago ka dito since the neck is fatter and ingat ka hindi sumabit sa 7th string ang sweep lines mo.

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 02:33:02 AM »
pag kaya mo magshred sa classical guitar kaya mo na sa seven string. hehe
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 04:12:17 AM »
funny how he still hasn't replaced the keyboard, eh? all caps pa rin  :lol: impeccable timing  :wink: don't think i summoned him, ha?!

anyhow... nice and peaceful here.. thank heavens...  :-)

i would live to have my own 7-string, for jazz perhaps, a semi-hollow type. the extra range is useful, and would encourage more walking basslines. I wouldn't use it for "chug chug" (unless provoked!)

alot of notable jazz guitarists are into it for the extra range.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline tumorwarrior

• Veteran Member
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 09:32:58 AM »
hindi lang sya pang Nu Metal :D as some people would often generalize hehehehe

"uy naka 7-string, eh di korn ang tugtugan nyo?!?!" 
FOR SALE: PSE MILLENNIUM V5 COMPOUND BOW <br />50lbs draw weight/ 27" draw legnth (+/-2")<br />complete with sight, center stab, dampers, carter triger, Easton X10 Arrows, bow case<br />40K lang san ka pa. Pm me for contact details

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »
shredder ka kasi tumorwarrior :-D

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 09:54:29 AM »
shredder ka kasi tumorwarrior :-D

oo nga pa-humble pa si tumor e... show us your true shredding skills! hehehe! :lol:
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline tumorwarrior

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 09:56:16 AM »
nyahahahahaahahahahahahhaa how i wish!  i use my 7 for "cute alternative" songs ahihihihhi may nauna na kasi sa pogi rock eh, so cute alternative na lang  :-D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:58:15 AM by tumorwarrior »
FOR SALE: PSE MILLENNIUM V5 COMPOUND BOW <br />50lbs draw weight/ 27" draw legnth (+/-2")<br />complete with sight, center stab, dampers, carter triger, Easton X10 Arrows, bow case<br />40K lang san ka pa. Pm me for contact details

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2007, 10:00:48 AM »
More is in fact more for the case of the 7 string although it is not something I could probably be comfortable using overnight. There are extreme cases with added strings, Check out Rusty Cooley with his 8-string guitar with fanned frets and theres Phil DeGruy with his Novax. Like anything else, its a tool, and very few have come to surpass the instruments limits if there is such a person regardless of the number of strings he prefers and its typically the player who is limited.
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline danleo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2007, 11:53:45 PM »
I think the difference between the 7 and 6 string guitars relies on the player. Kung comfortable and satisfied ka na sa tone ng 6 string dats it. But if you like the 7 string way better than the 6 string coz you do lots of stuff sa 7 na hindi mo magawa sa 6 then go for 7. Different guitarist would have different opinion on this but remember its not the difference between 7 and 6 that matter most, its how good you play your guitar (6 or 7 sting or watever). Aanhin mo ang damo kung wala ka man kabayo? (Gamitin for Pot Session) hehehehhe. Peace! :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 12:00:58 AM by danleo »
You may say I\'m a dreamer. But I\'m not the only one. I know someday you\'ll join us and the world will live as one...

Offline BlackDiamond

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 08:53:38 AM »
An interview with Adagio's Stéphan Forté taken from seventring.org

J: What initially got you into sevens?
SF: The fact that everything you could play with six strings you could do with seven, but not the other way around.

He took the words out of my mouth! hehehehehe :-D

This forumite is a different person:
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?action=profile;u=43394
I'm not him! HMMP!

Offline MIG AYESA

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2007, 12:22:42 PM »
additional possibilities and perhaps an elongated learning curve if not steeper.

This is confusing.
There are always two conflicting sides when it comes to the seven string guitar.
According to the defenders of the additional string, it offers additional possibilities..
 This thread could go on and on. And we would like to know the truth.

There's only one way to find out.
I suggest the defenders of the 7 string guitar to post some soundclips to prove the versatilities of the 7-string.
guitar

Let's hear it from the virtouso's of the 7-string guitar.
Soundclip naman jan.

Offline musguit1

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »
here is me playing a 7-string jazz guitar fingerstyle.  One of the slow tunes, but you can hear that low note.  It is low A (regular bass) tune for the 7th string.

http://reneto.multiply.com/music/item/1
"I PLUCK THEREFORE I AM." rto/2006

Offline parirami

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »
buhayin natin ulit tong topic na 'to.

I saw a 7-string guitar from China FVstevens (i think) being sold right a couple of weeks back sa lyric edsa-shangri-la. Tried it and i agree with the extended range. (seems to fit my fat fingers on the higher frets pretty well too... my problem with most guitars.) My only concern is it seems smaller than the usual, pickups are too high (too near the strings)
Parirami's M13 Settings Page
http://sites.google.com/site/parirami/

Offline Metal Gear Solid

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 01:49:56 PM »
marami talagang possibilities ang 7 string in terms of it working in a band setting... kahit na cover songs nyo mga 6 string lang required... what if 2 guitarist kayo, yung isa naka 7 string and yung isa 6 string... then tugtog kayo ng "symphony of destruction" ...

hehe Mustaine and Broderick on the new Megadeth. Always had me thinking how they'd reconcile it.

Tried using a seven string with a extra high string in C# standard. Fun! Aso lang nakakarinig nung high solo sa extra F# string ko sa taas. hahaha

But nah...I'm ok with my 6. Basic and sexy. Chugchug lang naman ako sa banda!

Offline rad_12

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2008, 07:30:37 PM »
7 string has low B string on na wala yung 6 string....nagtataka nga din ako kung bakit palaging nakukumpara sa korn pag naka-7 ka samantalang andami namang 7 string users....(taas ko na kamay ko hehe....) pero both 6 and 7 string guitar meron ako (ay by the end of the month pa pala yung 7 ko) parehas naman para sa'king ok yung 2...depende siguro sa preference nung gitarista yan... :-)

Offline paranoid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »
Strings? :|

Mas maganda for heavy metal ang 7-string because of the B string. At mas masarap pa pag iddrop A mo pa. :evil:

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 01:53:17 AM »
i have 4 will add more :lol:

Offline astennu

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 11:35:19 AM »
My friend from the province jokingly said that the advantage of 7 string vs. a sixer is when you broke a string, you have another one as a reserve.  :lol:

Ibanez Xiphos 707FX, Ibanez RGR220DX, Fender Stratocaster \"Frankenstrat-EMGed\", Digitech GNX4, MXR Dime Distortion DD11, MXR Doubleshot Distortion, Dunlop Dime Crybaby Custom DB-02, Marshall JTM30-Fender Bullet 15w, Marshall Micro amp

Offline parirami

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »
There's also wider frets from 12-up so fat fingers like man have room to move to mga sabit :P (ano ung sabit sa english?)
Parirami's M13 Settings Page
http://sites.google.com/site/parirami/

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »

a seven string can do everything a 6 stringer can, but a six stringer would have to detune to reach the range of a seven string

:mrgreen:

seven strings are the way to go IMHO
This is a forum siggy.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 01:15:30 PM »
a seven string can do everything a 6 stringer can, but a six stringer would have to detune to reach the range of a seven string

:mrgreen:

seven strings are the way to go IMHO

+7

Offline yahoo!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2008, 06:06:44 PM »