hulika

Author Topic: I need help: Tips/advice on avoiding getting scammed online  (Read 1145 times)

Offline matthewmacorol

I need help: Tips/advice on avoiding getting scammed online
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »
Help: Tips for avoiding getting scammed

I need tips/advice so that I could avoid getting scammed online. Im planning to buy an item. The seller will ship the items to me.
Advance thanks to everyone who will help me :)
HELLO DEAR!

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: I need help: Tips/advice on avoiding getting scammed online
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »
What is the location of the seller? Perhaps there is a forumer near his place who can check it out? If he is a member of philmusic, perhaps there are those who can vouch for him. You can also check his past posts since an active member may not risk his name for a deal. For olx you can try checking how long he has been a member.

You may also post a link to the ad so others can check it based on the pics and info provided.

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »
makipag meet ka to see the item you are planning to buy, (sa mataong lugar kung di ka tiwala or di kilala yung seller)... if the seller insist na he/she can't do meetups and only accepts payment via bank deposit mag isip isip kana...
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »
do not transact with sellers who just recently created an account. Most of them time they create such account for that purpose - to scam

Offline matthewmacorol

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »
thanks for all your help. we just closed our transaction earlier. the girl from LBC (my location) was kind enough to talk to the LBC branch the seller was in. The girl made sure the seller didnt/cant void the item (apparently this is the new modus after receiving payment) after i gave the seller the money transfer tracking number. Hope I receive the package by tomorrow :D
HELLO DEAR!

Offline omarpulse

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
thanks for all your help. we just closed our transaction earlier. the girl from LBC (my location) was kind enough to talk to the LBC branch the seller was in. The girl made sure the seller didnt/cant void the item (apparently this is the new modus after receiving payment) after i gave the seller the money transfer tracking number. Hope I receive the package by tomorrow :D

good job. LBC should make this a standard.

Offline agent_otso

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 07:15:49 PM »
good job. LBC should make this a standard.
+10000000 dapat nga talagang gawin nilang standard yang ganyan tas dapat na maconfirm yung item na ipapadala eh base din sa alam/description ng receiver.once na nairegister na nila.hindi na dapat mavoid.
PLAY YOUR MUSIC NOT YOUR INSTRUMENT

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:12:33 PM »
kudos to lbc.
i don't mind paying an extra for this kind of feature.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline thkh

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
Here are the things I watch out for

1) If the ad posted is in jeje language and/or he speaks jeje, then I'll most def stay away from the seller.
2) If the seller is a member here, check his registered date and browse through previous posts.
3) I only transact via bank deposit, no to pera padal etc. With bank deposits you have the sellers' real name and I don't think anyone would risk his name/credibility for gear.

i lurve delay pedals

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 06:48:10 AM »
Yes to bank deposit

Offline matthewmacorol

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 04:34:05 PM »
i got the package. kudos to LBC for the fast and secure transaction.
HELLO DEAR!

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 05:04:09 AM »
Just to add to the suggestions mentioned. I think someone buying gear whether online or meetups should consider these:

Online (when the seller will ship the gear after a bank deposit or LBC or pera padala etc.)

1. Check the sellers reputation. Many of the sellers here post their previous transactions and you may do a background check on them asking around if the seller is trustworthy. Make sure you have the persons real name, you can go as far as checking his facebook account to identify if he is legit. In this case, pwede mo habulin if na scam ka (e.g. the item is not working properly, missing some parts or much worse, you did not receive the item at all).  Ask the Seller about the item. Does it have an issue, was it repaired/ service recently?

2. Plus one on the bank deposit vs lBC or Pera padala. Nothing could be safer.

3. Check out the Item on a music store to make sure you know what you're buying and do some research (what its supposed to do, how it sounds, etc.). Then,  Once you've ordered and received the gear, check/test the item immediately upon receiving as some 2nd hand sellers only give you a personal warranty of a few days. Test it thoroughly, twist the knobs to seach for scratchy pots, look for dings and dents, and compare it to what you remember on the music store to make sure it is working the way it should.

Meetups:

1. Same as the first scenario, verify the Identity and Rep of the Seller.

2. Make sure that you TEST the gear to check if its working properly. Ask the seller about the item (issues?, was it service recently?, how old are the tubes?, etc)

3. If its a big transaction, I know the value of money will vary from person to person, but for example, 50K upwards, Bring a Tech with you if you are not familiar with the components of the gear. By all means try to bring a schematic if possible. Have the Tech thoroughly inspect the gear while you are testing it. (This is similar to buying a 2nd hand car where you bring a mechanic with you to check the car you're about to buy.) For that kind of money, you should be sure what you're about to get is original, down to specs and not altered in any way. Unless you know that what you're buying is modded or that's what you're after.

4. Keep your money in the ATM, and just withdraw when both parties have agreed to push thru with the transaction.

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:06:22 AM by Magus »