hulika

Author Topic: Speaker compatibility w/ a 18-20W head to a 2x12 cab  (Read 926 times)

Offline hoihose

Speaker compatibility w/ a 18-20W head to a 2x12 cab
« on: October 23, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
Officionado's Greetings!!!

Need advice. :)

If I have a 18-20watt tube amp head (compatible to 4ohms, 16ohms & 16ohms)
paired with a 2x12 Cab.

how many watts should each speaker be?
(assuming there is no problem with speaker load compatibility
& wiring options will be flexible to either parallel or series)

I want to maximize not only the amps tonal capability but also if I could strike
also a balance between getting excellent clean and dirty tones it would be better.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:28:31 PM by hoihose »
\"startin over again more or less in your pursuit of happiness\"-NUNO BETTENCOURT

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Speaker compatibility w/ a 18-20W head to a 2x12 cab
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
Power consideration: total power is the rating of the lower powered speaker x 2. That means a 30w and 60 watt combo will have a total power of 60 watts.

For impedance, total ohms is divided by 2 if parallel, and multiplied by 2 if in series.

You need 2 x 8 ohm speakers for your head for both wiring options. Even 2 x 30 watt speakers would be more than enough for your needs. Get high sensitivity speakers if you want it to sound loud with less power.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:37:32 AM by royc »

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Speaker compatibility w/ a 18-20W head to a 2x12 cab
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
Hi Jet.

When an all-tube amp is rated at 20 watts it refers to clean power, and it pumps out that amount of power at around 4-6 on the master volume (right before it starts to break up). When maxed out it can easily pump out 160-180% of the power it's rated at.

If you plan to dime the amp all the time, you should let your amp see a total load of roughly twice the wattage of your amp. Ergo 40 watts (or if you're using a 2x12 cab, you need at least 20 watts per speaker). For the ohmage just make sure the amp out matches the speaker load and you're golden. There are tonal differences when you do a mismatch (less headroom, earlier breakup, lower volume) but these are minute differences and you're taxing your output transformer needlessly if you don't know what you're doing.

That's not to say that you can't use a 25watt speaker for your 20 watt amp. (my AC15 clone uses a 25w alnico speaker). But if you do I suggest you watch your volume knob, and be sure to check if anything is heating up out of the ordinary.

For speaker wattages you can go as high as you want but the rule of thumb is the higher the wattage the heavier the doping and darker the base tone (with exceptions of course). There is also less cone cry which you may or may not like.

We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:29:09 PM »
Hi Jet.

When an all-tube amp is rated at 20 watts it refers to clean power, and it pumps out that amount of power at around 4-6 on the master volume (right before it starts to break up). When maxed out it can easily pump out 160-180% of the power it's rated at.

If you plan to dime the amp all the time, you should let your amp see a total load of roughly twice the wattage of your amp. Ergo 40 watts (or if you're using a 2x12 cab, you need at least 20 watts per speaker). For the ohmage just make sure the amp out matches the speaker load and you're golden. There are tonal differences when you do a mismatch (less headroom, earlier breakup, lower volume) but these are minute differences and you're taxing your output transformer needlessly if you don't know what you're doing.

That's not to say that you can't use a 25watt speaker for your 20 watt amp. (my AC15 clone uses a 25w alnico speaker). But if you do I suggest you watch your volume knob, and be sure to check if anything is heating up out of the ordinary.

For speaker wattages you can go as high as you want but the rule of thumb is the higher the wattage the heavier the doping and darker the base tone (with exceptions of course). There is also less cone cry which you may or may not like.

This is spot on!

I think everything you need to know with regard to your concerns Jet was just covered by both gentlemen
We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:04:06 PM »
Super informative thread. What about ratings of solid state amps? I have an acoustic B200 that i'll be using as a power amp for my pod. Afaik it throws 100w each side when in stereo mode but I'm not sure if it throws 200w when in mono (I assume bridged?). Very little info on this amp, sadly.

Will a 300w Dai Ichi instrumental speaker suffice? Or should I get a 400w driver instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline hoihose

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »
Thanks sparky fillipo & royc :-)
\"startin over again more or less in your pursuit of happiness\"-NUNO BETTENCOURT