hulika

Author Topic: Low/Mid end guitar + upgraded pickups VS Midrange guitar w/ stock pickups  (Read 2128 times)

Offline KennyKen

Assuming po na pareho sila ng price, w/c route would you rather go? eksampol, Php10k (guitar) + Php6k (PuPs) or Php16k guitar all stock.... Curious lang po THX!  :-D

''it depends'' is Not an answer,...or ''what model'' yada yada  hehehe :-P

i

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
the pups are just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to a guitar's whole tonal aspect, its like asking will you drive a ferrari with a toyota engine or drive a toyota with a ferrari engine

Given your example, let's say an entry level guitar worth 10k(Ibanez GIO) than you'd be installing some freshly wounded custom Motorcity Pups will the MP be enough to make a GIO sound decent and have it compared to let say,given the price,2nd Hand PRS SE custom 24? Will a gio be better than an SE given the craftsmanship of an entry level PRS just because its loaded with MPs? Honestly I'd get the PRS the pups can be swapped anytime of the day but a well crafted guitar is hard to find.
"Join the darkside,we have cookies."

Offline KennyKen

BUT a second hand Gio will be much cheaper, kase second hand yung tinapat mo eh, what If BNEW vs BNEW yung scenario?

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
You laid out your own premises yet you'll alter them along the way?You were talking about having the same price right? To answer that I'd still stick to a PRS SE over a GIO even with MP or BKPS or SDS. Craftmanship,build quality,and wood choice is still a big factor here.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:25:31 PM by j.nikko3123 »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
To be fair, assuming that the prices posted are for brand new guitars;

brand new 10k Ibanez GIO versus a brand new 16k Ibanez RG.

brand new 10k Squier Affinity versus a brand new 16k Squier Vintage Modified

I'd take the latter of either Ibanez or Squier. Why? You get the following:

- Slightly better wood
- Slightly better hardware
- Slightly better electronics
- Slightly better craftsmanship and construction

I'm generalizing here. But the 6k difference is well worth the "slightly better" points for the higher priced model. Even if you swap out the pickups of the 10k guitar, you'll still be left with a lower quality wood, lower quality hardware, and lower quality craftsmanship and construction.

What's the use of a nicer sounding guitar (10k + 6k) if it always goes out of tune? If the string keeps breaking due to sharp hardware? If the neck always moves because of lower quality wood? If the frets are uneven and sharp? That goes without saying, its overall setup for playability is also less than ideal.

Just my two cents.

Offline KennyKen

Gios are a bad example IMO, especially the CHINA made GIOs, they're just, pure donkey turd....Kung pupunta tayo sa Greg Bennett  or CORT line, their Php10k +++ Guitars would beat the living crap out of the Gio.......

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Gios are a bad example IMO, especially the CHINA made GIOs, they're just, pure donkey turd....Kung pupunta tayo sa Greg Bennett  or CORT line, their Php10k +++ Guitars would beat the living crap out of the Gio.......

If you believe that the GIO is a bad example, well... that's what you can get with a 10k guitar. I was just working within your stated premise.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Buy the best stock guitar that you can afford now coz it is easy to upgrade the pups a few months or years later. Buying a lower guitar with better pups is a dead end. Upgrading it means buying a new guitar.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Assuming po na pareho sila ng price, w/c route would you rather go? eksampol, Php10k (guitar) + Php6k (PuPs) or Php16k guitar all stock.... Curious lang po THX!  :-D

''it depends'' is Not an answer,...or ''what model'' yada yada  hehehe :-P

for what purpose are you doing it?

price of an instrument doesnt always mean better, that 10K gio(222$) against sterling jp60-100's (500-600$) that i have encountered with wouldnt be a good comparison (as hardware and fretwork wise they were BAD)

rather than have this thread extend more pages that it doesnt need, if you dont have the tools/skills and time to work on that 10K guitar then dont even buy it.

Try/test one in a store and if you love it then buy it.

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
to answer the query: Low/Mid end guitar + upgraded pickups

to make things a little complicated: as long as that low/mid end guitar is built "correctly" (ex: truss rod is working, neck is aligned with the bridge, can be setup or already setup correctly..etc. etc.)

also, if your looking to upgrade pickups, upgrade na rin to better potentiometers, capacitors, fresh wiring, switches, jacks.
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline robinonibor

• Philmusicus Addictus
Buy the best stock guitar that you can afford now coz it is easy to upgrade the pups a few months or years later. Buying a lower guitar with better pups is a dead end. Upgrading it means buying a new guitar.

^ +1
when I was on my way getting back in touch to music, it took me 6 months to come up with a decision over a Bnew Vintage Modified Squier, Bnew Deluxe Squier, Ibanez S120 or a low end Squier(Ch or Indo) then I saw this Fender Std MIJ (1988-89) which is at the same price range. I bought it and never had any regrets. The wood is more solid and produces awesome vibrations, stock pickup set is awesome(HSS).
Now I'm planning to upgrade the pickups (JB and Jazz w/ split coil), maybe by the end of 3rd Quarter.

soooo.. go for a mid level guitar(for the sake of wood and quality) then save up for the pickup upgrade.  :-D :-D

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus

Exactly!

Midrange guitars have decent pups na magagamit mo ng matagal, di mo mamamalayan nakaipon ka na for upgrade kahit di mo pakiramdam magupgrade.
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline Igor

• Philmusicus Addictus
 in my case, can't afford to buy mid range guitars, dun lang talaga ako sa low end then i just upgrade the pickups.
Shot na!!!

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
Usapang chicks na lang,

Kung itsura na lang pag uusapan,

Maspipiliin mo ba yung chick na ndi gano maganda ang totoong itsura at maganda lang pag may make up?

Or pipili ka ng chick na mas maganda na walang make up, at later lalo sya maganda pag naka make up?

Hehe actually nasa kahoy talaga yan so get the best sounding one in stock form. Madali na later mag upgrade ng electrics.

Also minsan makaka tsamba ka na yung lower priced model mas maganda sa higher model...kasi sa kahoy.

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
Also minsan makaka tsamba ka na yung lower priced model mas maganda sa higher model...kasi sa kahoy.

Any credible example on this one?

Offline ios

Go for the mid range ones. You can't go wrong with Mij/mim fenders and prs se.

Para kang nag pimp my ride ng kia pride.  Kahit anong upgrade na gawin mo hindi magiging sports car yan.  No offense to kia pride users. Peace

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Offline robinonibor

• Philmusicus Addictus
Any credible example on this one?

hmmm Fender Squier MIM from the 90s?.. cheap hardwares.. but if I'm not mistaken,

Squier MIM and Standard Strat MIM has the same wood back then. So, you just need to upgrade the hardwares and pickup and you'll have an MIM Standard Strat.

Here are some pics for reference. this guitar is not mine

may naka post sa classified guitar few months ago, Fender Standard MIM(90s serial) for 7k, binura lang yung squier sa dulo ng headstock it's a good deal kahit medyo misleading yung title.
hindi ko na bili dahil wala ko pera  :-(

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
 :cool: ow okay.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
Lawsuit era japanese guitars....and certain exception-al units...sound better than US made.  Saw a Cort strat nga na mas maganda tumunog kesa sa american standard. Stock pa yun ah.

I also had a 62 RI na japanese na ceramic pups pero 90% na siya ng lumang 80s strat. Add skill sa parunog daig pa yung US

Offline creationz

For my  nth guitar i actualy bought an ibanez gio 270 to add to my guitar line up. Its a gio with floyd rose.....bought and installed emg 81x and 85x pickups since they were on sale. Did the guitar setup. Soldered a threeway switch. Working fine and sound clean and nice. Of course wala yung luxury of having nce inlays, locking tuners, trimmings, complex or slicker design ng body...but im quite happy

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
get the 16K guitar.  :-)
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...