hulika

Author Topic: Cheapest Condenser Mic w/ Quality  (Read 11647 times)

Offline mariuo

Cheapest Condenser Mic w/ Quality
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 07:44:39 PM »
anyone know where i can get mxl or audio technica mics locally?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 08:06:46 PM »
Audi technica is distributed by audiophile
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 10:51:29 PM »
Uhhh...EM80 ? :D

Seriously I attempted to DIY a vocal mic based on an EM80. Grabe ang feedback na inabot ko.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 11:31:39 AM »
Quote from: BAMF
Uhhh...EM80 ? :D

Seriously I attempted to DIY a vocal mic based on an EM80. Grabe ang feedback na inabot ko.

Di ba electret condenser yun? I also think it has an omnidirectional polar pattern so you might have to reduce the gain substantially.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 07:00:26 PM »
Actually, I had a 1 M pot in series with the signal. But just as soon as the microphone picked up my "hello mike test" it also went "wheeeeeeeeee".

Back to the drawing board.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline waybine

• Veteran Member
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2006, 11:24:51 PM »
Hi! Try Shure SM94 or MX202.
WayneQB
deadly in black

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 10:39:39 AM »
Quote from: waybine
Hi! Try Shure SM94 or MX202.

You do realize these are small diaphragm condensers that cost around $200.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline waybine

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 01:56:29 PM »
It's just a suggestion, but it's worth the try. :D Or try Nady condenser mics. I think they are cheap. Just not sure of the quality coz i haven't tried them yet.
WayneQB
deadly in black

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2006, 08:09:23 AM »
Quote from: KitC
Try the Audio Technika AT2020. I'd recommend trying out some MXL's but I don't know of any local supplier.

Nagtanong ako sa audiophile sa cubao................ may suggest sila sakin na Audio Technica na P2K lng tapos slim pwede daw pang vocal.......... Nakalimutan ko na yung model...........

Offline tWoKp.

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2006, 01:07:27 AM »
i'd get the ADK Hamburg/Vienna or the Studio Projects C1 for vocals. Even an SM-57/58 would sound superb if paired with a decent mic pre.

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 01:52:06 PM »
sirs...audio teknika ang recommend ng audiophile...pero panu po kaya kung ang condenser mic ideally for choir (music ministry where 3 or more sing from the con mic) ok pa din ba ung AT...?

salamat..gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2006, 02:25:48 PM »
guys what can you say about the sound quality of behringer c-1 and c-2 condensers? besides being cheap, i just need a decent stereo pair for micing drums. anybody here who has actual experience with them?

available na yung c-2 sa electronics depot for 4500 so im getting myself one and a c-1 for recording vocals. the only other option that will fit my budget are a pair of nady cm88 which is 2200 each.

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 03:10:03 PM »
Quote from: peeves24
guys what can you say about the sound quality of behringer c-1 and c-2 condensers? besides being cheap, i just need a decent stereo pair for micing drums. anybody here who has actual experience with them?

available na yung c-2 sa electronics depot for 4500 so im getting myself one and a c-1 for recording vocals. the only other option that will fit my budget are a pair of nady cm88 which is 2200 each.

cheap din pala, masmura pa sa AT...pede din ba to sa choir(3 or more singers sims)????
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 04:57:24 PM »
Quote from: bindoy

cheap din pala, masmura pa sa AT...pede din ba to sa choir(3 or more singers sims)????

Let's just say with the Behri's, you get what you pay for.

With choirs, it's usually recommended that you use large diaphragm condensers, but I've been toying with the idea of using omnis and/or pressure zone mics like the Crown PZMs.

Offline analogueorange

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 09:40:34 PM »
put it this way, it's better to save your money rather than buying a piece of [gooey brown stuff] that you have to polish the [gooey brown stuff] out that turd! It's a waste of money not buying a decent mics. Go for the Studio Projects or Sterling Sound and put a nice front end mic pre-amp. Don't forget not to crank the mic pre you'll wind up a lot of noise floor.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 10:27:25 PM »
cheap has its uses.

i give that advice to fellow drummers myself, to save up and get better equipment but since this is recording gear and only secondary to my needs, id rather spend on a minimum :D

besides, im riding on the premise that the behringers have much better sound quality than the mics that were used in the 60's and 70's (im going for that motown sound, hifi optional). it couldnt be all that bad...i hope  :oops:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 10:47:00 PM »
besides, im riding on the premise that the behringers have much better sound quality than the mics that were used in the 60's and 70's (im going for that motown sound, hifi optional). it couldnt be all that bad...i hope  :oops:

Wouldja believe that I'm on the hunt for SM-57's from that era and maybe earlier? They used to be called Unidynes and were still manufactured in the US. From what I've researched so far, they sound better than present day SM-57s.

I wouldn't be so quick to diss old, dated equipment (Neumann U-47 comes to mind). I've been experimenting with old Akai dynamics my dad used with his open reel and they have a peculiar and potentially useful sound.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2006, 08:41:59 AM »
i have a unidyne, the 55sh i got cheap from a bar in olongapo which i paid for only 1500 pesos. i only use it as a display though, couldnt practically use it due to feedback problems.

i just ordered the c2 and a studio projects c1 last night from music123. sana umabot dun sa maghahandcarry by the 6th.

I wouldn't be so quick to diss old, dated equipment (Neumann U-47 comes to mind). I've been experimenting with old Akai dynamics my dad used with his open reel and they have a peculiar and potentially useful sound.

what i was really trying to say is that if the c2 existed during those times, it could have been considered as a high quality mic rather than a mediocre piece of gear today. i really should not make any more comparisons.

pretend to forget about it being a behringer. my primary purpose is to record my playing and to improve in playing, not be a good engineer. id rather pay you guys to record me if i want it to sound really really nice.

besides we cant really discuss expensive mics in a cheap condenser mic thread coz we'd be off topic jok jok jok  :lol:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2006, 10:14:59 AM »
I love the retro looks of the 55SH but to be honest, its feedback rejection left much to be desired that's why Shure has an updated version.

I'm not dissing Behringers but their quality is sometimes hit or miss. I also don't think that 20 -30 years from now, they will be considered collector's items but you'll never know.

That said, you made a good choice on the SP C1. I, for one, would like to see more of these budget brands available here such as ADK, MXL, Oktava, CAD,  Red5 Audio, Superlux and even the budget Blue Ball mics. Sadly, very few of these brands ever make it here and even fewer local musicians know they exist. I own and use an MXL V63M and all I can say is that for $69, it's surprisingly good especially when paired with the right preamp - makes me curious enough to consider their V67G, V69 and V6 models.

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2006, 10:32:25 AM »

Let's just say with the Behri's, you get what you pay for.

With choirs, it's usually recommended that you use large diaphragm condensers, but I've been toying with the idea of using omnis and/or pressure zone mics like the Crown PZMs.

sir kitC, salamat sa recommendation...which makes the other tanung...

hmmm...san po ba makakabili nito large diaphragm condensers- ?ung AudioTeknika(specifc model - w/c sa audiophile nga) o any model(AT,shure, studio projects ... di ko kasi lam kung anu ok...like this thread says " Cheapest Condenser w/ Quality") specifically for Choir singing...

salamat...ngatz..gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2006, 10:46:24 AM »
bindoy,

The 2 cheapest, locally available LDC condensers around are the Audio Teknika AT-2020 and the Samson C01 (not the usb version). I think Audiophile carries these 2 brands.

As for choir recording, how large are we talking about and what's the venue? There are a lot of logistics involved especially if you intend to mic the SATB sections individually and might have to include 1 mic for the soloist/s. Here's an excellent article on the subject from Sound on Sound. Part 2 here.

Remember, the investment on 4 or 5 condensers will be sizeable, plus you will need a suitable mixer/preamp with phantom power for these condensers.

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2006, 08:34:53 PM »
actually this is the case...

its primarily used sa live worship(SATB accompaniment)...eh bago lang kami ng upgrade into recording our live outakes...from barok cassette...to DVD recording na...sana nga makapag PC nakmi sa recording namin...planning pa talaga

ang laki kasi ng tulong at improvement kapag narerecord ang live out takes e...naririnig ang palpak...hehe

as for the venue...indoor talaga good for seating 200-250 persons...pero since budget kami...kahit sa labas malamang magagamit...

as for AT and samson.masmaganda siguro AT...i really dont know their durability and specific use for live e...
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2006, 11:32:35 PM »
Quote from: bindoy
as for the venue...indoor talaga good for seating 200-250 persons...pero since budget kami...kahit sa labas malamang magagamit...

Considering the intended usage, I'd get some SM-58s instead. Maybe get one condenser if you intend to overdub vocals later in a recording studio environment.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2006, 01:17:52 AM »
magkano ba chepaest presyohan ng SM57's ngayon at saan ?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2006, 02:16:31 AM »
Quote from: bugoy
magkano ba chepaest presyohan ng SM57's ngayon at saan ?

Medyo OT post mo, bugoy. I suggest PMing Sir Tarkuz on the SM57.