hulika

Author Topic: help sa drum mic?  (Read 4830 times)

Offline judithp_shredder

• Forum Fanatic
help sa drum mic?
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:28:27 PM »
ok ba ung drum mic na samson 7 piece worth 17k?

any advise na mas mura nd quality sounds?

:D
BEAT AND RIFF Music studio / Production, check us out!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BEATnRIFF-Music-Studio-Production/189363594433588?id=189363594433588&sk=photos_stream Band: PENTASPIRAL / DAYSEED google us for free demo. \m/

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 05:14:20 PM »
Remember that 'budget price' usually means a compromise on quality. Here's a review on the Samson Q7 if these are the mics you are referring to. I suggest comparing between a similar Nady system so that you don't limit your choices.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline judithp_shredder

• Forum Fanatic
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 10:39:30 PM »
ei, thanks for the site review dame ko natutunan

kung may budget lang ako na malake cguro shure drum mic na kukunin ko, mas popular at standard ung dating.

kaya ko lang nasip ung samson na drummic kasi eto lang ung branded class b na quality drum mic.

ung 17k brandnew na un nakita ko s raon, mas mahal ng 3k pag sa audiophile.

how bout boston drum mic have you heard that? i think local ata un, wala ko idea e.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BEATnRIFF-Music-Studio-Production/189363594433588?id=189363594433588&sk=photos_stream Band: PENTASPIRAL / DAYSEED google us for free demo. \m/

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 10:59:22 PM »
Quote from: judithp_shredder
how bout boston drum mic have you heard that? i think local ata un, wala ko idea e.

Kahit i-google mo boston drum mic, lang hits so if I were you, I'd stray to the side of caution and choose something na at least kilala na. You have the reviews to lean on rather than take a chance with no-name, never heard brands. (A lot of cheap chinese mics are coming out now with americanized brand names. One in particular, Bock, really looks like Shure in design while their logo is quite similar to Bose.)
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline judithp_shredder

• Forum Fanatic
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 12:17:18 AM »
onga noh! beware sa mga local, i just wondering kasi nung nakita ko ung boston drum mic naka reserved na, hmm...

ok nko sa samson 7piece drum mic. un lang ung alam kong mura and quality na lumabas sa philippines, malapit ko na mabile un. .

last question, is it advisable that using a vocal mic like lower end shure mic like rs45 to drums produces good sounds? is there any hiss or krang sounds? kasi id tried it before ok namn, or depende sa pumapalo sa drums dahil masydo malake ung pang vocal mic d po ba. .

tnx for suggestion and comments..

godbless. .

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 01:24:52 AM »
Don't have experience with the RS45. I checked Shure documentation and it seems to have a presence peak of around 7 db centered around 4 khz with a rise beginning at 1 khz and ending at around 9 khz, impedance is rated at 600 ohms. The SM58 in comparison has a gradual curve beginning at 1.5 khz peaking near 5db at 6 khz with a 3 db dip at 7.5 khz with a rolloff beginning at 10 khz, impedance is 150 ohms.

The giveaway is the impedance (600 ohms) which suggests the RS45 was meant for unbalanced operation (karaokes, casette recorders, soundcards). The lower presence peak also suggests susceptibility to sibilance; vocals might sound more nasal with this mic. Higher impedance compared to the SM58 means lower signal levels when connected to mixer XLR inputs. Unbalanced operation also means susceptibility to noise like RFI and EMI.

hth,

Offline judithp_shredder

• Forum Fanatic
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 07:10:33 AM »
ok, thanks for the comments, rs 45 kasi ung gamet ko sa studio, sakto lang pang vocals,

anyweiz thanks for the idea for drum mic

sana may nagbebenta ng 2nd hand na drum mic ung 7piece para swak parn sa budget.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 12:41:09 PM »
you can give the cad drum mics a try as well. a 7pc set costs around us$200. i sold mine very recently in favor of an akg d112 and 4 c418's. but don't get me wrong. i was also happy with the cad mics. mine was pro-7 but there's an even more current one at a price not to far from the pro-7.

i was also considering the samson mics before. but guitar center didn't have them in stock.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 12:44:02 PM »
a little bit off topic.

a month or two ago, i got a demo cd for the earthworks drum mics. and i should say it was pretty impressive.

for those of you who can afford it, maybe you'd like to give it a try.
============
Marvin Querido

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 01:43:26 PM »
Quote from: judithp_shredder
kaya ko lang nasip ung samson na drummic kasi eto lang ung branded class b na quality drum mic.

ung 17k brandnew na un nakita ko s raon, mas mahal ng 3k pag sa audiophile.

around 14k lang ang price ng brand new samson 7pc drum kit mic sa audiophile. kung cash ang bayad, mga 13k+ lang dapat yan. overpriced naman masyado ang 17k sa raon!  :?
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline jplacson

help sa drum mic?
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 01:58:52 PM »
2 centavos...

Between the Samson and the Shure PG drum kit... go for the Shure PG drum kit.

Now, for that amount of money, I'd rather go with fewer mics... 1 Beta 52 and 2 PG81s.  Or a Beta 52, SM57, and one PG81.

You can get away with 2 overheads... but if you can get the Beta52, go for it already.

I'd actually recommend just getting 2 good overheads than the Samson drumkit.

You can get 2 very good AKG instrument condensers for the price of the Samson drumkit... and it will give you a much better drum sound.  AKG is also sold in Audiophile.

**Tarkuz, do you work for Audiophile?  If so, which branch?  I usually bug the people in Paco and Cinema Square... hehehehe... browse browse lang ako... no buy... hahahahaha**
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 03:13:20 PM »
Okay, let's try Shure drum mics...

Beta 52 + two PG81 = P21k+. That's over the budget.

Beta 52 + SM57 + PG81 = P21k+. Over the budget also.

Beta 52 = P9k+.

How about PG52? P5k+ only!

**jplacson, I always hear/see your name but I believe we have never met yet. Lurk lang ako dito. I don't read all the threads here...**
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline jplacson

help sa drum mic?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 03:24:50 PM »
Hi Tarkuz, but his initial post, he was willing to buy the Samson at P17K.

At P21K in Audiophile, I think you can get a 10% discount for cash... so that puts it at about P19K... that's only P2k more than initial budget for a MUCH better drum kit than the Samson.

It would be better to actually demo the mics... and the difference between the PG52 and the Beta52.

There's a big difference between the SM81 and the PG81... but the price is also more than 3x per mic.

The Beta52 and the PG52 are not more than 2x and that's already the Beta.  But if the PG52 gives him the kick sound that's good enough, then go for the PG52.  It's still a great mic, and I feel Shure got the "budget" compromise better than Samson did.  Granted the PG series does cost more than most "budget" mics, they do sound better.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 06:54:10 PM »
Audio-Technica MB/DK6 drum kit mic package...

1 kick mic + 3 tom mic + 2 condenser mic = only P19,990 list price!

Offline judithp_shredder

• Forum Fanatic
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 12:06:44 AM »
maganda ba ung audio technica for drum mic?

marvinq Posted: 07-17-2006 09:41 AM    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you can give the cad drum mics a try as well. a 7pc set costs around us$200. i sold mine very recently in favor of an akg d112 and 4 c418's. but don't get me wrong. i was also happy with the cad mics. mine was pro-7 but there's an even more current one at a price not to far from the pro-7.

> meron ba cad mic sa pinas?

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 02:18:11 AM »
Quote from: marvinq

i was also considering the samson mics before. but guitar center didn't have them in stock.

eto ba yun sir marvinq?

http://www.music123.com/CAD-PMP742C-Drum-Microphone-Package-i121996.music

Musta naman sya?
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 08:47:56 AM »
Tarkuz,

ano ano yung mga mics na included sa AT drum mic set?  thanks.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 08:59:20 AM »
here's the review by sound on sound...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/cadmics.htm

these are the more current ones. i used to use the pro-7 mic package, which is older. but i was happy with those. the akg c418's i use were sold to me at an insane price, so i got them. they improved my drum recordings by a great deal, but i wouldn't even have considered buying them brand new. sobra sa budget.

i was already happy with the cad mics. if the 418's hadn't come along, i'd have no problems using them. sayang, kakabenta ko lang. i can only imagine that the more current ones are even better (hypercardioid na yung tom and snare mics - in the pro7 package, yung snare mic lang, the rest are cardioid), tapos $50 lang ang pagkakaiba.

i personally haven't tried the at drum mic set. i'm also a newbie with live recording. i've been producing stuff for so long already, but it's only been a few months since i've made mics, preamps, etc. my problem. hahaha. somebody else always had to worry about those for me. hahaha.

if you wanna get those cad mics, maybe you can ask a friend who lives in the states...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=99178&g=home&src=3SOSWXXA

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-PRO7-7Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack?sku=270749
============
Marvin Querido

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 11:31:06 AM »
Quote from: starfugger
ano ano yung mga mics na included sa AT drum mic set?  thanks.

(2) MB 4k condenser mic
(3) MB 5k tom mic
(1) MB 6k kick mic

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
help sa drum mic?
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 11:43:07 AM »
Quote from: marvinq

try sam ash.