hulika

Author Topic: computer questions  (Read 1276 times)

Offline mariuo

computer questions
« on: July 28, 2006, 11:48:37 AM »
hello

i thought i might ask about this cause well im a newb to recording and i dont really know much about computers so here goes. what is the frontside bus? is it something to consider for recording? what about the L1 and L2 and sometimes L3 caches? is this also important for recording? sorry but i've been seeing this in other forums and dont really know what they do and what they're for :P thanks, any help would be appreciated

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: computer questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 02:54:55 PM »
Quote from: mariuo
hello

i thought i might ask about this cause well im a newb to recording and i dont really know much about computers so here goes. what is the frontside bus? is it something to consider for recording? what about the L1 and L2 and sometimes L3 caches? is this also important for recording? sorry but i've been seeing this in other forums and dont really know what they do and what they're for :P thanks, any help would be appreciated

I think this belongs in the PC Tech forum but the Wikipedia gives a very good description, quote: "In computers, the front side bus (FSB) is a term for the physical bi-directional data bus that carries all electronic signal information between the central processing unit (CPU) and other devices within the system such as random access memory (RAM), the memory containing the system BIOS, AGP video cards, PCI expansion cards, hard disks, etc.

Some computers have an L2 or L3 memory cache external to the CPU connected via a back side bus. This bus and the cache memory connected to it is faster than accessing the system RAM via the front side bus."

With AMD, the FSB has been implemented differently because the memory controller is located on the same die as the cpu and it communicates directly with the cpu instead of passing thru a northbridge. The AMD equivalent of the FSB is then called HyperTransport (HT), not to be confused with Intel's Hyper-Threading technology.

What this means for you is that a faster FSB or HT means faster data throughput allowing for the computer to process more data. In recording, this translates to more tracks, more plugins, and more softsynths.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline mariuo

computer questions
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 09:23:05 PM »
wow thanks :) now i've got an idea :) thanks alot!