hulika

Author Topic: Amp Modelers and Pedals  (Read 953 times)

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
Amp Modelers and Pedals
« on: April 18, 2018, 07:54:44 PM »
This question was asked in one of Phil McKnight's webcast...

"So if your amp modeler/emulator can model a pedal friendly amp...does that mean your amp modeler/emulator will also become pedal friendly?"

I have a Vox AV30 that has 8 voicings of 8 classic amps. So I put my multi-effects in front (nothing on the effects loop)...and it works best sa Clean 1 (I think is a Fender Twin) and Crunch 1 (Marshall Plexi). On the other channels...not so much.

Na experience nyo na ba ito? Not limited to amps and pedal-sized amp modelers...can be effects with built in amp emulators (Helix, Headrush etc.), software (Positive Grid, Amplitube etc.) and hardware (Kemper, Bias Head)

:)
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Amp Modelers and Pedals
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 09:34:22 PM »
The HD500x I used to own worked well when pedals were in the effects loop module. It's all about impedance, and I don't think you can generalize that effects that have amp sims will all take pedals well.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 07:18:49 AM »
My personal experience is that multi-effects amp modelers can be pedal friendly up to a certain point only. Many digital multi effexts units' inputs are typically designed to handle a high enough signal to accommodate guitar, but fall apart when presented with boosters and/or ODs set at high volume levels. My Zoom G1on (which I love to bits, BTW) suffers from this problem, but keeping your levels in check does the trick.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »
[gooey brown stuff] gagaawin ko itong experiment na ito sa weekend. I'll figure out a way to share the sound clips (at sana ma record ko sya ng maayos.  :lol:)

@titser_marco, @lolwat thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 01:55:54 AM »
The only modeler amp I've tried in an actual playing situation was a Fender Mustang IV. Nahirapan akong timplahin siya with my drives kahit na naka blues deluxe or twin setting siya. For some reason, ayaw talaga niyang mag-tunog organic (for lack of a better term). It was especially unforgiving to my fuzz pedals. Made it sound digital kahit ano pang setting.

Had to settle with using the onboard drives and used my board on the effects loop only for modulation, delay and shimmer effects. Have to say though, I loved the Hendrix setting on that amp.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20