The Musician Forums > Guitar Central

VOX AC and Hiwatt amps

<< < (20/20)

Phil:

--- Quote from: BAMF ---Eto pa mga sir. I'm not sure if my miking techniques are doing the preamp justice, but here's the "panama" opening bars, as requested. No other effects, just the preamp set on solid-state clip (which only means, putting an assymetrical diode clipping stage apart from the natural tube overdrive.

http://rapidshare.de/files/12930311/ssclipnofxpanama.mp3.html
--- End quote ---

cool.....awesome job, man.

zook:
BAMF,

I'm currently scouting for a power transformer for my ax84 project. I contacted Kinetic Audio technologies and what they have is the Hammond output transformer (Hammond 125-DSE). The price if quite good too. However, the cost of the power transformer (Hammond 369-ex) is off the scale so I'm planning to have one hand-built.

Herein lies the problem. I don't know what to tell the builder. Looking at the schematics of Ax84, would I be able to tell the specs of the power transformer that I need? I also checked the specs of the ax84 power transformer (Hammond 369-ex) and these are the numbers that I got:

Total PWR (VA)  - 45              
Secondary (RPMS) - 190-0-190
DC (ma) - 65
Bias Tap (VAC) - 50
Filament #1 (VAC) - 6.3Vct @ 2.5A

So what do I tell the builder? Thanks!

BAMF:
I think that information is enough. Basically when you get a power transformer wound, you just tell the winder what voltages you need and at what current. If possible, draw him a tap diagram. Like the info you gave tells me that the amp is around 30-40Watts in power. Your primary winding should be 220-0, secondary winding is 190-0-190 with a 50 v bias winding (don't have it tapped out of a center-tapped winding !!!!)  with 6.3V tap  for the heaters. I can draw the tap diagram for you, but even if I did I don't have a scanner.

Would you be interested in sharing a beer ? I've already decided on a 50 W Marshall with 6550 power tubes. Sabi nila hindi daw maganda ang tunog ng 6550, mas matigas ata but heck, it's more durable than the EL34 and if ever I 'd want go do that, I just need to change a few resistors.

Let's trade notes. I've already compiled sources for parts like auricaps, Rikens, even someone who can wind output transformers. Apparently there's a very active audiphile network here in the Philippines.

Here: www.wiredstate.com

By the way I'm already a member of www.cedist.com. Very reasonably priced for a company that's in the US ha ! Like 30W Marshall output transformers only go for 54 dollars, reverb tanks for 15 dollars etc. You can "joint purchase" some stuff with me. Tubes...ubusin muna natin yung mga NOS (NOS nga kaya ???Hmmm) sa Deeco, mura dun the 6L6 only costs 800 bucks and the 12AX7's, only P300. 6550's at Audiophile only cost less than 1,200 for a matched pair. Tapusin ko muna mga pedal projects ko...mas instant gratification e but I've started collecting stuff for my 50 W like tube sockets etc.

zook:

--- Quote from: BAMF ---I think that information is enough. Basically when you get a power transformer wound, you just tell the winder what voltages you need and at what current. If possible, draw him a tap diagram. Like the info you gave tells me that the amp is around 30-40Watts in power. Your primary winding should be 220-0, secondary winding is 190-0-190 with a 50 v bias winding (don't have it tapped out of a center-tapped winding !!!!)  with 6.3V tap  for the heaters. I can draw the tap diagram for you, but even if I did I don't have a scanner.

--- End quote ---

Many thanks for the info. I called up Mang Rod of wiredstate yesterday. Very nice chap. Unfortunately he has a lot of pending stuff. He referred me to Podmon in Legarda as well.  

--- Quote ---
Would you be interested in sharing a beer ? I've already decided on a 50 W Marshall with 6550 power tubes. Sabi nila hindi daw maganda ang tunog ng 6550, mas matigas ata but heck, it's more durable than the EL34 and if ever I 'd want go do that, I just need to change a few resistors.

--- End quote ---

Sure, mahaba-habang inuman ito! For now I will not even attempt to look at the Marshall schematics. Ayoko ng sakit ng ulo! I just want the clean sound and the "simple design" of the Ax84 P1. Later on, pag natututo na ako, I will try to explore the high gain variants of Ax84.

--- Quote ---
Let's trade notes. I've already compiled sources for parts like auricaps, Rikens, even someone who can wind output transformers. Apparently there's a very active audiphile network here in the Philippines.

Here: www.wiredstate.com

--- End quote ---

Oo ba. Right now, I'm still in the gathering phase. I will share whatever interesting information and sources I could gather. A few days ago I reactivated my account at wiredstate. Last time I inquired about Hammond transformers, a guru-member referred me to an overseas supplier. It was too expensive back then. I was surprised to learn from you about the local supplier.

--- Quote ---
By the way I'm already a member of www.cedist.com. Very reasonably priced for a company that's in the US ha ! Like 30W Marshall output transformers only go for 54 dollars, reverb tanks for 15 dollars etc. You can "joint purchase" some stuff with me. Tubes...ubusin muna natin yung mga NOS (NOS nga kaya ???Hmmm) sa Deeco, mura dun the 6L6 only costs 800 bucks and the 12AX7's, only P300. 6550's at Audiophile only cost less than 1,200 for a matched pair. Tapusin ko muna mga pedal projects ko...mas instant gratification e but I've started collecting stuff for my 50 W like tube sockets etc.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the offer. Pag wala talaga akong mahanap na piyesa dito sa Pinas, makiki-ride ako sa account mo! Didn't know Deeco sells tubes pala. I'm sure you've already come accross this thread in wiredstate about sellers of fake tubes based in Hong Kong: http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8539

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version