hulika

Author Topic: Zoom has Durability Issues  (Read 6118 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Re: Zoom has Durability Issues
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2010, 02:45:57 AM »
Okay try this.

Get a small syringe with needle. Fill it with a solvent, lighter fluid, alcohol or lacquer thinner work.

Using the needle try to get the fluid inside the rotary switch. One obvious path is where the shaft meets the body of the rotary switch (these things are sealed from the back).

Try to get even a small amount of the fluid inside the rotary then turn it left and right several times. After that check the ribbon cables (in the case of g2) if its broken.For G1 the rotaries are soldered directly to the main board.

Wait for the fluid to dry if it got on the board. Then reassemble and power up.

This method usually works 80% of the time on switches and pots. I even stayed the replacement of my strat selector switch just by cleaning the switch with this method without having to take off the pickguard.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline dnielle00

• Netizen Level
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2010, 11:21:03 AM »
Okay try this.

Get a small syringe with needle. Fill it with a solvent, lighter fluid, alcohol or lacquer thinner work.

Using the needle try to get the fluid inside the rotary switch. One obvious path is where the shaft meets the body of the rotary switch (these things are sealed from the back).

Try to get even a small amount of the fluid inside the rotary then turn it left and right several times. After that check the ribbon cables (in the case of g2) if its broken.For G1 the rotaries are soldered directly to the main board.

Wait for the fluid to dry if it got on the board. Then reassemble and power up.

This method usually works 80% of the time on switches and pots. I even stayed the replacement of my strat selector switch just by cleaning the switch with this method without having to take off the pickguard.

sir BAMF, the patch modifier rotary of my G1x is not snapping like before, its very hard to switch from one menu to the other becoz of this irritating problem, what should i do to get it to SNAP just like before. right now i am definitely having a hard time creating/modifying a new patch. is there a replacement for the rotaries for it to be as good as new?

please enlighten me sir BAMF. thanks :-D

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »
sir BAMF, the patch modifier rotary of my G1x is not snapping like before, its very hard to switch from one menu to the other becoz of this irritating problem, what should i do to get it to SNAP just like before. right now i am definitely having a hard time creating/modifying a new patch. is there a replacement for the rotaries for it to be as good as new?

please enlighten me sir BAMF. thanks :-D

Having tried to find sealed type pots before, I opine that it will be quite difficult to find a direct replacement for what your G1x has from local stores. Bar writing and ordering directly from zoom.co.jp or taking it to JB Music (who will ship the thing to Japan anyway). Pamasahe pa lang ng unit mo talo ka na.

Offline dnielle00

• Netizen Level
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 01:16:33 PM »
Having tried to find sealed type pots before, I opine that it will be quite difficult to find a direct replacement for what your G1x has from local stores. Bar writing and ordering directly from zoom.co.jp or taking it to JB Music (who will ship the thing to Japan anyway). Pamasahe pa lang ng unit mo talo ka na.
if thats the case sir. how can i fix this? do you have some solutions for these problems?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 01:24:25 PM »
if thats the case sir. how can i fix this? do you have some solutions for these problems?

The solvent-in-syringe is the only palliative that i can recommend.

If on closer inspection, the switches can be opened, you can risk that and clean it internally. There is a chance  you might not be able to put it back together again.

Another solution is to find a junked G1x and transplant the switch(es) of that to your unit. Don't look at me tho I don't have any of those around, although some guys have left their junked G2 and G2.1u's with me. Pwede karnehan na siguro yun.

Offline dnielle00

• Netizen Level
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 01:47:11 PM »
The solvent-in-syringe is the only palliative that i can recommend.

If on closer inspection, the switches can be opened, you can risk that and clean it internally. There is a chance  you might not be able to put it back together again.

Another solution is to find a junked G1x and transplant the switch(es) of that to your unit. Don't look at me tho I don't have any of those around, although some guys have left their junked G2 and G2.1u's with me. Pwede karnehan na siguro yun.
hehe pwede ba ung gnun sir bamf? replacing my G1x's rotaries with your JUNKED :D G2's? hehe

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
i have a Zoom H4n recorder. aside from the side switch (menu switch) , flawless lahat.
even the buttons and the plastic XLR inputs. it has a plastic hardshell case too

it will last a lifetime thats for sure. i agree that they have issues with their multieffects unit. but these are recorders you dont stomp on it , or lugged it around carelessly like what we do with effects pedals.

and you can get a H4n remote if you dont want to use the unit buttons.
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »
hehe pwede ba ung gnun sir bamf? replacing my G1x's rotaries with your JUNKED :D G2's? hehe

No. They're different. If you want scout around for a junk G1 and arbor or buy it cheap. Then we can get the parts. What Im saying is maybe I can help you had  your unit been a G2 or G2.1u

Offline dnielle00

• Netizen Level
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 03:12:21 PM »
No. They're different. If you want scout around for a junk G1 and arbor or buy it cheap. Then we can get the parts. What Im saying is maybe I can help you had  your unit been a G2 or G2.1u
ahh so what you are tryin to say is that its so very hard to find spare parts for this unit? hmm..
cge po sir BAMF, ill try to find the parts, thanks.

Offline dr.distance

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 10:29:21 PM »
any tips on how to quickly MacGyver my way to getting better response from the footswitches? not that they're broken or anything, medyo may-topak lang yung left switch while the right one works fine as usual.

may certain "angle" na siya ng pag-press eh. well if I use my hand anyway, oddly if I press using my foot, it works most of the time but there'll be some double-hits minsan, one press but it moves 2 patches.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2010, 10:37:02 PM »
any tips on how to quickly MacGyver my way to getting better response from the footswitches? not that they're broken or anything, medyo may-topak lang yung left switch while the right one works fine as usual.

may certain "angle" na siya ng pag-press eh. well if I use my hand anyway, oddly if I press using my foot, it works most of the time but there'll be some double-hits minsan, one press but it moves 2 patches.

The tacswitches are easy to replace and are available. Bar that however, the solvent-in-syringe works for the footswitches. I should know. It corrected my G2.

Offline nitotela

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »
Me kasi, Im not using the the up and down in my 5050 II, ginagamit ko lang yung pag nagtotono ako, my DIY FP01 kasi ako,dun na ako naglilipat ng patches,kahit apakan ko pa ng todo ay di masisira zoom ko