hulika

Author Topic: Lets see those CRASHs!  (Read 26961 times)

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Lets see those CRASHs!
« on: May 19, 2007, 11:09:17 PM »
Guys for reference and to help our fellow drummers get an impression of the different CRASH's available today, could you please post your personal description/impression of your personal crash or crash' that you have used for quite some time in terms of volume, bell, ride-ability..etc  :lol:

Expound on how how you hear them, different characteristics and traits, for what genre you think they suit best and any additional details you might want to describe them..let us interact and see if we have the same impressions (even though manufacturers claim no 2 cast cymbals are the same :-D)

Tip lang..if you could HIGHLIGHT or put in BOLD the type of cymbal to easily identify it so much the better.. :lol:

Hope this helps..

I have intentionally separated the Ride, Crash, Hi hat description thread for reference purposes to be organized that our fellow members can go directly to the cymbal that they are interested in getting an impression from rather than just one thread with mixed information for the 3 basic cymbals of the drum set. I hope this is fine with you.. :lol:

UPDATE: I have edited this thread to be a picture database for Crash cymbals as well for those who wish to share them please do post away.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 04:57:22 AM by Akira JUMBO »
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Re: *your CRASH description thread*
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 02:35:27 PM »
ah..oo nga noh! Thanks bro pmack! late nakasi nung naisip ko itong thread..hehe! Sana magpost ka and share you insights on your stuff to help us all.. :lol:

Offline franco

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
i have a 16" b8pro medium crash, a 16zildjian zht fast crash and a 16" stagg sh thin crash. the b8pro sounds thick and a bit dark and i use it usually for the "bagsakan" parts. the zht fast crash sounds kinda light and clear good for jazz-blues-funk like music. surprisingly, my favorite is the cheapest - stagg sh thin crash, it opens up quick, easy and loud and the sustain is perfect for my preference since i play reggae/ska-punk.
if you can't join them, beat them!

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 07:09:37 PM »
ah..oo nga noh! Thanks bro pmack! late nakasi nung naisip ko itong thread..hehe! Sana magpost ka and share you insights on your stuff to help us all.. :lol:

i play mostly rock and funk so makaka-comment lang ako within that context of playing. :-D

17" K Dark Crash Medium-Thin -- for me, the best crash for low to mid volume rock. opens up nicely, dark sounding pero yung overtones niya may pagka-bright. this is the most excellent crash for cymbal swells (di ko sure kung yun nga ang tawag). very controllable and the bell is great for accents. this is not rideable though, med-thin kasi kaya nakakatakot baka mag-crack.

19" K Dark Crash Medium-Thin -- i loved the 17" so much, when the opportunity to buy (at a very cheap price) a 19" version came up, nangutang na ako para makuha ko. this is not as versatile as the 17" though. less controlable due to its size. the bell has a very nice ping to it, i used it as my main ride once. of course if you compare its bell to a typical bell of a ride cymbal, mas mahina ito. cymbal swells here are very nice din, but again, much less controlable. this one i have no trouble crash-riding, loud and cutting and not too dark but not too bright as well.

16" Avedis Medium Crash -- a classic. it has a very nice, dark wash. medyo bright when you hit it, but when it opens up, it shows its dark characteristics. very good for crash-riding. a great cymbal swell is a pain to do with this cymbal. hindi rin ganun kaganda yung kakalabasan na sound due to its medium weight. but very nice to have in anyone's arsenal. truly a classic.

18" Avedis Medium-Thin Crash -- this cymbal i have trouble pinning down it characteristics. i am selling this one by the way. anyway, i got this 2 months ago. i thought it was clangy at first. that's why i chose to sell it. i used it last week at a gig, and i fell in love with it again. dare i say, almost as good as my 17" K Dark Crash. it must be the acoustics of my drumroom (AKA my bedroom) that made this one sound clangy. i'll edit this post once i understand this cymbal completely. hehehe..

:-D 

GREAT THREAD BRO!
:-D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 07:27:33 PM by pmack »

Offline kilowattz

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 09:03:34 PM »
i personally use ZILDJAN ZBT CRASH medyo manipis siya pero in love ako sa tunog kasi mahaba na parang ssshhhhh yung dulong sound niya...i've tried ZILDJAN SCI-MITAR CRASH eto manipis talaga kya medyo manipis tlga din ang tunog...nasubukan ko na din yung ZILDJAN ROCK CRASH eto super kapal naman, makapal ang bell so malakas talaga siya... gaya ng pangalan pang-rock nga...
So let hope rise and darkness tremble
In Your holy light
http://kilofajardo.com

Offline palolo_worm

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 11:35:18 PM »

19" K Dark Crash Medium-Thin -- i loved the 17" so much, when the opportunity to buy (at a very cheap price) a 19" version came up, nangutang na ako para makuha ko. this is not as versatile as the 17" though. less controlable due to its size. the bell has a very nice ping to it, i used it as my main ride once. of course if you compare its bell to a typical bell of a ride cymbal, mas mahina ito. cymbal swells here are very nice din, but again, much less controlable. this one i have no trouble crash-riding, loud and cutting and not too dark but not too bright as well.

ako ba ung kinuhaan mo nun? :)

i'm starting to like larger crashes, mga 18 and above. i go for a dark sound as much as possible, for old school jazz sounds. the warmer the better. :) siyempre, zildjian ulit ako kasi eto ung nasimulan ko na. :) K custom series are really good for my music, at kahit sa mga rock at medyo mabibigat na tugtugan they seemed to fit in. weeee!

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 10:47:48 AM »
this is my current crash cymbal collection...
18 virgil donati saturation crash
19 virgil donati saturation crash
aax 18 metal crash
aax 18 studio crash

all sabian i love big cymbals and this cymbals can  get thru your guitar players heavy distorted sound..this are bright sounding and heavy cymbals :wink:..i love crashes that can take the punishment of a heavy hitter... :wink:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 03:26:38 PM by jpmb »

Offline wax_static

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 11:09:21 AM »
share ko lang uncommon na crash ko..

17" Saluda Mist

TRASHY, loud, easily opens up, and a bit of white noise from it... you can crash ride this to hell!!!... hehehe
I was going to sell because I was having a hard time mixing it with our music.. specially that I'm only using it indoors... too loud... but after few, rather unintentional hits, :-D , I found out that this crash can be very useful lalo na pag sa outdoors ko na ginamit...

by the way this crash...  sounds more like a china!!! :evil:

Offline ryan3

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 08:38:02 PM »
sakin da best ang crash ko....
astig tunog... parang ung highest model ng zildjian
its a stock cymbal galing lang sa binili kong drumset

instead of crash ang tunog... crush ang tunog...
http://www.tama.com/

Sarap puntahan nito ^_^

Offline blackhawk7a

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 09:33:01 PM »
ung sa akin 16" K Custom Session Crash.ok lang 2nog,mas maganda ba pag mas malaki size????

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 10:30:27 AM »
ung sa akin 16" K Custom Session Crash.ok lang 2nog,mas maganda ba pag mas malaki size????

well it depends it you want much more bigger sound and longer sustain then go for bigger cymbals... :wink:

Offline blackhawk7a

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 12:37:25 PM »
ay gnun pla un,sana pla ung malaking crash na binili ko,mahal pa naman nung 16"k custom session

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 12:11:54 AM »
These are my current crashes [note: credit card maxed out as a result and still figuring out how to pay]:

17" Zildjian K Dark Medium Thin crash: My main crash when I want to sound 'portable' or the last crash at the far end of the setup at times.
19" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid: My main crash
20" Zildjian K Custom Dark Ride: used as crash ride
18" Sabian HHX O-Zone crash: when i wana sound different, usually for accents but i love it when i use it together with the main crash simultaneously, gives a sudden blast-explosion-like effect to it.

Im a sucker for huge cymbals.

:mrgreen:

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Re: CRASH description thread
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 02:22:36 AM »
Zildjian 18" A Custom Crash

Very bright sounding. Modern cymbal sound. Oddly this cymbal sounded very close to a 18" K Custom Dark I had but the K sounded better on softer situations wherein this A Custom went well with medium leveled volumes. This cymbal opens up quickly. Minimal edge wobble.

Did I already say it was bright? :lol:

Zildjian 18" Avedis Medium Crash

Powerful hi-pitched sound. Great volume and projection. Suitable for crash riding. When opened it pronounces a dark quality. Versatile cymbal.

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 08:43:11 AM »
Zijdjian 16" ZHT Fast Crash - the pitch is not to high, lower than the ZBT crash. has a fast decay and you can get its full sound easily! i cant recommend this  if your playing in a rock band, hindi mo rin to magagawang main crash (ok siguro pag acoustic ang setting) bagay na bagay to sa jazz/funk  :-)

sir Akira - what if may nagkaparehas na cymbal review? can you merge them into one post?  :-) nice thread!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 08:44:44 AM by intake »
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline waybine

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »
Sabian HHX O-zone "16 Crash - "Perforated by 2" holes, this crash delivers an extremely nasty sound with a lot of aggressive bite." by sabian.com

... Aba! Sya nga!  :-D
WayneQB
deadly in black

Offline bulog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 02:38:25 PM »
Mine is a STAGG Myra 16 in Crash

- Very brilliant sounding (di ko alam kung tama description ko hehe), can cut thru any music.  Preferably for rock setup, pero okay din sa church.  Gustong gusto nga ito nung Praise and Worship elder/leader namin.  Kahit mahina ang palo mo, labas pa rin ang brilliance ng  tunog nya.  Nice sustain too, and I also like the brilliant finish of it.  And sobrang affordable ng pa.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 12:54:11 AM »

SABIAN B8 crash 16"

I play jazz and rock, wait, actually, im more of open sa mga genre e. so this crash
is really one of my choices e, kasi, it can thru music, pero hnd namn sya ung sobra
ung tone, tska may warm accent pa xa.

ZILDJIAN Avedis 18"

Classic to. . . sa studio lang nmin ko to nagagamit. sa crash na to, you really wont
get wrong kasi it can blend or cut, depending sa hataw mo sa knya. astig tlga. mjo pricey nga lang
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline markdelacruz

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 01:53:12 AM »
Zildjian ZHT 18" Rock Crash = very strong and loud simmering crash sound, high pitched, low decay, medium sustain. although it sounds like a crashed ride.
Perfect for rock, funk, experimental.

Sabian AAX 15" Dark Crash = mid to high pitch very defined crash sound with moderate decay and sustain. Perfect for rock, funk, jazz, but due to it's size, its' volume capacity for live gigs isn't efficient.

Sabian HHX 18" Legacy Crash = lots of volume despite it's thin state, very fiery, dark and musical. Very solid. I'm speechless with how it sounds. :D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 01:58:25 AM by Akira JUMBO »
There are only two kinds of music, the good and the bad. ; There's no need to classify as long as you can play. -Buddy Rich

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 04:51:05 AM »
Sabian 16" O-zone crash - dark talaga, and trashy!! you'll think of it as a mild china cymbal that's shaped like a crash  :lol: wobbly yung cymbal minsan pag malakas yung palo mo, matibay pa rin sya...kung natatapangan ka sa china, try this cymbal
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 01:46:10 PM »
18" K Dark Crash Medium Thin
All about balance itong crash na 'to. Swabe na dark overall sound dahil K siya, kaso dahil Med Thin weight may pagka-bright yung attack, so may added cut din. Sakto rin na 18" siya - may power siya ng big crash, kaso may control ng smaller crash. Ito main crash ko para sa lahat - mula sa mga jazzy na tripping lang, hanggang sa mga gig nung metal na banda ko. Yung problema lang eh nabunggo dati ng girlfriend ng kabanda ko yung stand niya, tapos nahulog 'to edge-first sa isang shelf... may 1" wide dent tuloy sa edge :cry: di naman naapektuhan masyado yung tunog, medyo umiksi lang decay niya (which can be a good thing din hehe)

Bibili rin ako ng 18" HHXplosion Crash... similar ata tunog nun dito sa K, kaso mas pang ingay talaga.

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 08:02:19 PM »
Wala na bang 18" na K Dark Crash Med Thin sa JB? Sayang sobrang panalo talaga nito e!

nabili ko yung 18" ko sa Salonga (sa may Rustans Cubao) mga hmm 5-7 years ago. bago pa to nung nirevise nila yung K series, so old school pa yung mga markings nito. actually nagulat nga ako nung pinili ko to kasi yung isa pang 18" K Med Thin na sinubukan ko, mas mabigat at may pagka yero na ewan yung tunog. parang pinilit yung pagka-dark niya, ganun. sobrang night and day yung difference nung nakuha kong crash at yung isa pang sinubukan ko. kaya nga lalo pang sayang na may dent na to e.

sa pix, sorry wala ako digicam e. sa MP3 player kasi ako naginvest hehe kaso susubukan ko pa rin

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Re: Lets see those CRASHs! and description thread
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »
Just reviving our threads for those who might want to share.  :lol:

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 09:54:31 PM »
I've always been a 2-crash cymbal set up guy. One is bigger than the other. Dati ugali ko pag nag sawa ako sa crash eh benta agad then after a time mamimiss ko sha and hahanapin ko na naman. Mashadong magastos na bisho so my solution is i'll have 3 pairs of crashes at nag papalit palit lang depende sa gig at sa trip. Eto na sila.

1st Pair (Rock Set up)
18" K Custom Dark Crash
19" K Custom Hybrid Crash

2nd Pair (Low Volume Setting)
16" A Custom Crash
17" REMIX Ride w/ Promark Rattlers

3rd Pair (Versatile Set)
16" K Custom Dark Crash
18" A Platinum Med-Thin Crash
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:56:45 PM by sandythedrummer »
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline timpanista

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »
18" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash low bright pitched, can be used as ride but you won't get a good bell sound.

16" Zildjian Avedis Crash Ride yes a 16" crash ride they make it before but not anymore i think. one of the most versatile crash i had. unfortunately i sold it and i regret it :x high pitched crash sound nice for rock to jazz.

16" Zildjian A custom Projection Crash high pitched crash also. can use it also as ride if you have a small set. you can get a nice bell sound.

16" Sabian AAX Stage Crash low pitch sound for a 16" crash but has a quick response to your sticks.
Pearl Session Custom SMX  Pearl Prestige Session SPX  Roland TD6KW V Drums  Axis A-L2CB Dynasty DFX14