hulika

Author Topic: Is Nirvana really Grunge?  (Read 13602 times)

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Is Nirvana really Grunge?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 10:41:13 PM »
Sa tingin ko ang "Grunge" nagsimula sa itchura/porma ng mga tao, at first ang meaning lang ng Grunge is - Filthy or Dirty; The state of being covered with unclean things, kasi ganun nga ang itchura ng mga bands na na-label nun nung time na yun. After lang namatay ni Kurt ata dinagdag ang Grunge as - A style of rock music that incorporates elements of punk rock and heavy metal, popularized in the early 1990s and often marked by lyrics exhibiting nihilism, dissatisfaction, or apathy.

In interviews, Kurt would often say na he's influenced ba punk-rock, I never heard him say that they were grunge.

Media lang naman ang naglabel ng "Grunge" sa bands like Nirvana, PJ, AIC, Soundgarden etc, etc. Because of the way they dress siguro. Panoorin nyo yung "Singles".

For more info on Grunge music:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_music

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:08:52 AM by kurtcobainer »

Offline the_godfather

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 11:10:47 AM »
Sa tingin ko ang "Grunge" nagsimula sa itchura/porma ng mga tao, at first ang meaning lang ng Grunge is - Filthy or Dirty; The state of being covered with unclean things, kasi ganun nga ang itchura ng mga bands na na-label nun nung time na yun. After lang namatay ni Kurt ata dinagdag ang Grunge as - A style of rock music that incorporates elements of punk rock and heavy metal, popularized in the early 1990s and often marked by lyrics exhibiting nihilism, dissatisfaction, or apathy.

In interviews, Kurt would often say na he's influenced ba punk-rock, I never heard him say that they were grunge.

Media lang naman ang naglabel ng "Grunge" sa bands like Nirvana, PJ, AIC, Soundgarden etc, etc. Because of the way they dress siguro. Panoorin nyo yung "Singles".

For more info on Grunge music:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_music

Tama! also I have a friend who greeted me, ayos sa porma ah Grunge! This friend of mine is a person who only listens to pop music, RnB, maybe a few alternatives but the point is di cay mahilig sa rock music. But I was surprised na cnabi nyang Grunge porma ko. I agree that Grunge is yung porma not music.
You...Soft and Lonely, You...Lost and Lonely, You...Just Like Heaven

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 11:30:14 AM »
Grunge sila. Meron pa ngang tinawag na Seattle's Big Four.  :-)

hanep parang basketball haha

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 11:30:54 AM »
Kurt has also been known to be an unreliable interviewee.  He took the piss out of interviewers by changing answers each time that he spoke to another journalist.

It's almost like taking the cue from Johnny Rotten when he does his interviews...even to this day. 

Both these guys used misdirection and misinformation to keep the mystique of the band and the musician/lyricist intact--or maybe sometimes just to rile a group and stir negative outrage.

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »
Kurt has also been known to be an unreliable interviewee.  He took the piss out of interviewers by changing answers each time that he spoke to another journalist.

It's almost like taking the cue from Johnny Rotten when he does his interviews...even to this day. 

Both these guys used misdirection and misinformation to keep the mystique of the band and the musician/lyricist intact--or maybe sometimes just to rile a group and stir negative outrage.

oo nga, anlabong kausap ni Kurt pagdating sa interviews...i was watching this docu-live performances VHS dati...wala akong naintindihan sa mga sinasagot nya sa mga questions ng mga interviewers...
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline dan_sparta

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 10:21:18 PM »
kung nasa panahon ka nung mga 90s baka nakasapak ka ng mga bagong tumutugtog ngayon. pure angst yung panahon nayun. at hindi iyakin ang tumutugtog noon. he!he!he! at pag napanood mo yung unplug nila, parang tumugtog sya  sa sariling funeral nya :-o pati setup nung gig.  :-) LOVE NIRVANA TILL DEATH! nung panahon na yun. ngayon medyo bumaba na angst ko ha!ha!ha! :-D
Mga BRO click nyo link sa baba may " FOR SALE" pa ako dito. Txt 0916-7590926(GLOBE)09298522810(SMART) SALAMAT
http://dansparta.multiply.com/

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 11:32:26 PM »
who cares if nirvana is grunge or not? who cares about these stupid labels anyway?

1.) grunge or not, nirvana is one of the greatest and that will never change, anyway. even if i call them bubblegum-emo.

2.) you should be busy posting about emo and punk na. hindi na cool ang grunge ngayon.

3.) let's all complain nalang about how, if nirvana was reincarnated NOW, in the philippines, nobody would notice them because everyone would be too busy with all the pogi-rock-crap-ballad-remake-poop-novelty-artista-emo going on.

Offline Wiljun

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
Yes po, the reason sumikat ang grunge nung early 90's is because of Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Although the term grunge was used by mudhoney's vocalist to describe his band nung mga early 80's. By definition grunge = dirty. and musically grunge metal has dirty and heavy distortion and mahilig din po sila gumamit ng feedback effects. hope it helps.  :-)
the baguiobeans experience...

Offline dan_sparta

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 07:14:38 PM »
ha!ha! me nagtanggal ng post ko. nirvana grunge talaga.  :-D read my sig kaya galit/ ha!ha!ha!
Mga BRO click nyo link sa baba may " FOR SALE" pa ako dito. Txt 0916-7590926(GLOBE)09298522810(SMART) SALAMAT
http://dansparta.multiply.com/

itchybrain

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 08:17:38 PM »
who cares if nirvana is grunge or not? who cares about these stupid labels anyway?

Mismo. Labels shzmabels. The best lang blue label-s.  :-D

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 02:29:26 PM »
Their fashion is defenitely grunge.
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline mayk_bam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 06:35:04 PM »
Mismo. Labels shzmabels. The best lang blue label-s.  :-D

agree!
Ibanez RG530 DX, Korg X50

Offline goldfish

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »
harcore punk & heavy metal = Grunge,  grunge is generally characterized by heavily distorted electric guitars, contrasting song dynamics, and apathetic or angst-filled lyrics. Grunge fuses elements of hardcore punk and heavy metal, Grunge bands were noted for their punk/indie attitudes; and the music shares with punk a raw sound and similar lyrical concerns However grunge also involves slower tempos, dissonant harmonies, and more complex instrumentation; often reminiscent of heavy metal.  For me nirvana is grunge because of the style and the sound and der lyrics.  i love Grunge!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 02:18:34 PM by goldfish »
Beware the stare of Mary Shaw.
She had no children, only dolls.
And if you see her in your dreams, Be sure you never, ever scream. Or she'll rip your tongue out at the seam.

Offline the jack

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 01:59:56 AM »
Nirvana is grunge and they are the greatest band for me during the 90's...
Remember may pinag-aawayan dati kung kailan yung death ng grunge music, nung namatay ba c Kurt or yung nag-disband yung sound Garden?...
So Nirvana is definitely grunge not by their fashion but on the influence they brought us during the so called GRUNGE era... :-)

Offline vaughn20

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 01:28:43 PM »
nirvana  is the definition of grunge....
sino may binebentang effects dito? may alam din ba kayong nag-rerepair ng gitara?

Offline SuperWeak!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 01:12:49 AM »
Grunge ba tlaga sila? Naging grunge lang naman ata kse galing sa seattle, washington. Di naman nila katunog yung Pearl Jam at Stone Temple pilots pati boses ang layo. Mas punk yung origins nila Kurt at Krist. Kurt always talked about the punk lifestyles and philosophies. Lagi nya dinedescribe yung punk as his own "freedom". Never did he mention that nirvana was grunge. Pakinggan nyo yung Bleach album at Nevermind. Mas punk kesa grunge. hehe. eh ewan. ano sa tingin nyo?

waa!
what the heck??
ung grunge na genre nagsimula yan sa era nila dba???

saka kahit anong gawin mo natanim na sa lahat na grunge ang nirvana kahit search mo pa sa wikipedia even pearl jam temple of the dog AIC STP etc.

saka patay na si kurt

nung namatay si kurt nalaos ang grunge sapat na ba yun para malaman genre nya?

papaliwanag lng :-D

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 01:22:27 AM »
STP is not grunge.  They even denied being part of the Seattle Sound as they are NYers AFAIK.

not really sure about them being NYers... i believe that they actually got their start and built a fanbase in San Diego... just sayin'.  :-)

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 06:13:36 AM »
I dunno, pero yung "Incesticide" puro dark, metal-like riffs ang napapakinggan ko. Parang Black Sabbath na tumutugtog ng punk.

Offline dovanditz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2008, 03:40:28 PM »
Nirvana is the reason why i start practisin' guitar and formed a band and I'm really happy seeing them performing with a down-to-earth-no-fashion-at-all style but with a good combination of punk, metal, hard rocking sounds, with their sounds and looks, I think that is why they labeled nirvana as grunge... but what the heck! in early 90's their musics are new in the ear of the people who's only listening to what is only hot so when they heard and see them performed they only ask "what the hell is that?" and based on their looks the critics labeled them as "GRUNGE".... that's only what I think 'coz hey! that's my era. Peace.
DIWATA

Offline SCREWER

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 06:23:34 AM »
punk yata sila originally..psychedelic si kurt din eh...tama ba? at naisabay nadin yung grunge..alice in chains, pearl jam, soundgarden, dahil seattle based din ang nirvana...mga tao naman ang nag li label ng genre usually..

at least unang binili kong album..."in utero"  tape palang dati...:-)
Stop using Jesus as an excuse for being a narrow-minded, bigoted a-hole.

Offline dreamhaus09

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
OT : Bakit yung Joy Division at The Strokes magkaiba ng tugtog e pareho naman silang Post-Punk??  :?

BTT : Tunog Grunge naman yung Bleach tsaka In Utero ha,   :-D

Tsaka pag kaka alam ko Beatles talaga influence ni Kurt e.  :-D

www.ProjectSmithereen.lens.ph
500px.com/projectsmithereen Canon EOS 1000D | Canon a3100 IS

Offline baterista_pearljam

• Netizen Level
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 03:27:21 PM »
Ang Tunay na "GRUNGE" para sa akin ay yung nakikita ko pang nag totour at me mga albums pa sa market hanggang ngayon na mga banda na galing sa Seattle. 

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 09:35:30 PM »
I don't call it Grunge. Mas ok para sakin yung Seattle Sound. Tutal, dun naman nag-originate yan.

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
bleach = grunge
nevermind = pop
in utero = alternative

ewan ko! pag di ko madescribe "alternative" ang nasaisip ko... kung ano man ang term / label / definition ng mga experts dyan bahala sila  :lol:

Offline candyapplered

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2012, 02:05:02 PM »
it's more of a subculture rooted in seattle rather than a genre in itself. a similar wave/movement happened in the early 80s in minneapolis, minnesota, called "minneapolis punk". this movement was led by husker du, the replacements, and soul asylum, and these bands never sounded like each other, and they're not so "punk" in my opinion. the grunge movement just happened to be a more successful phenomenon that got more international attention.