hulika

Author Topic: The Scale Modeling Thread  (Read 78542 times)

Offline Siomaiforyou

Re: The Scale Modeling Thread
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »
I wouldn't call it much of an introverted hobby as it is mostly a one-man operation as are most hobbies, but I have met a lot of interesting people when I'm in hobby stores or at model competitions. So there's a bit of interaction there. Then again, it's like painting or photography... often a solitary endeavor.
Referring to the act of doing the kit itself...preferably you don't want to be disturbed by calls or any other external intervention when you are in a particular state trying to attach that delicate part...Get what I mean? LOL...that's the introverted part of it...As a hobby of course it is not really introverting as you seek interaction in regards to getting tips and advices. In scale modelling you try to get into the stuff paying attention to details requiring concentration, in Music you get yourself out thru your instrument...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:03:44 AM by Siomaiforyou »

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2013, 09:13:25 AM »
i agree on the build part.

especially when i'm so into the cutting, sanding and gluing parts...i tend to skip meals when i'm on a particularly good part of the build...plus the smell of the adhesive  >:D >:D >:D
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »
with scale modeling, most people i meet are well mannered.  :-D

Indubitably, sir...

Indubitably.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Siomaiforyou

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2013, 09:58:46 PM »
Sounds like comparing apples with oranges, but its the experience of taking it on both, they may taste differently but all the same they feed you to your satisfaction...

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2013, 08:44:04 AM »
I stopped with this hobby due to sanitary issues with my family at home; fumes, mess and all that. Probably when I will get my own place, I may dedicate a room for this.  Sadly, this hobby has to be put on hold for now :(

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »
Yeah, the fumes of painting does tend to alienate one from the rest of his family, esp. when airbrushing. Time for a spray booth I guess. sigh...
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2013, 09:47:08 AM »
Referring to the act of doing the kit itself...preferably you don't want to be disturbed by calls or any other external intervention when you are in a particular state trying to attach that delicate part...Get what I mean?

I actually get you but... have you ever been in a sort of group build?

Granted that now, group builds are often done virtually through the internet, I remember a time when I would build at the same time in the company of my cousins. Usually our dads would buy us kits during the summer and we would scurry to the nearest hobby shop for paints. At times, there would be a sort of production line where I would paint the interiors while my cousin would paint the pilots/figures because that was his strong point. Those were good times.

Offline Siomaiforyou

« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2013, 12:55:11 PM »
Have tried joining one but never worked out, it was some sort of a project, because of our different pacings and time sked, ...Though I  enjoy our get together
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:26:52 PM by Siomaiforyou »

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2013, 09:26:52 AM »
@KitC

hmm i'm the only one in our family (extended included) who dabbles with this hobby. my father got me started and my cousins don't appreciate because they say they can't play with these and stuff. whatever  :razz:

i love the smell of plastic cement and as a young boy i would open one and take a whiff  >:D >:D >:D

still deciding if i'll go with a car or plane kit right now  :) do you have glass cases for your models? that's one thing i hate, dust on the models plus i'm deathly allergic to dust as well... :-P
Bedroom Rock Guitar

Offline Siomaiforyou

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »
Funny thing I used an aquarium to some of my stuff, only the armours though, its the aircraft that occupies so much space...I think clear acrylic plastic sheets are much cheaper to box them up, I bought about 2 meter cost about 400 but its enough to make at least 5 top box cover for a 1:48 aircraft just some cutting and gluing and a wood base...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2013, 10:59:17 AM »
still deciding if i'll go with a car or plane kit right now  :) do you have glass cases for your models? that's one thing i hate, dust on the models plus i'm deathly allergic to dust as well... :-P

The dimsum one  :-D is right about aircraft taking up a lot of space. This is one reason to go navy when building planes... at least you can fold their wings!  :-P

As an example, I have a 1/48 B-1B Bone that's almost a meter long when completed. Sadly, it remains unbuilt due to lack of hangar space. I'm planning on some sort of coffee table display with LED spotlights to display the beast. A recent Kinetic E-2C means this will be built with wings folded back, and Hasegawa SH-3 will most likely be built with blades and tail folded.

Unfortunately, This also means that my B-24G, B-29A, B-25D, B-26B, SR-71A, YF-12A, U-2R, Ju-188E1... and other lengthy, long-spanned 1/48 monsters will probably need part of the NAIA tarmac just to display them all. Makes me want to shift to tanks, cars and motorcycles sometimes. I have an uncle who did just that - mostly 1/16 Tamiya Harleys and Kawasakis all ensconced in a glass door cupboard-type display. Beautiful. Then again, he also had those 1/24 Airfix Me-109 and Spitfire that were huge!

Makes me want to consider those 1/32 Revell Ju-88 and He-219.  Or maybe I just shift to Bandai Gundam :-D

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
^ go navy amp! due to lack of space i once laid my planes side by side - warsaw pact and nato all in one strip - like some kind of mercenary force ala area 88!  :razz:

hmm i wonder what to pick nga  :eek:
Bedroom Rock Guitar

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »
Or maybe go swing-wing, which limits you to the aforementioned B-1, F-14, MiG-23/27, and Tornado.

There are also ships, but the 1/350 monsters like the recent Yamato mean a rather large 'drydock' requirement.

Offline Siomaiforyou

« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »
Try the 1:72 Lockheed C-5 Galaxy....lol  :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2013, 10:52:59 PM »
Or a 1/72 B-36 Peacemaker, 1/72 B-52D...  :-D

I'm actually waiting for a 1/48 B-52, Tu-95, and Tu-160 to complement the B-1B. If you think those are big, my Italeri 1/48 AC-130A is another space hog. I'm gonna need a bigger place to live in.  :-P

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
saan ba nakakabili ng water trap dito sa pinas magkano po kaya naghahanap friend ko.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline Siomaiforyou

« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »
Try mo sa medical supplies sa Bambang, o sa Sta Cruz hardwares in masangkay, soler, tc streets..

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2013, 11:31:09 PM »
Sir KitC! kumusta?! good to finally meet you (Gian introduced you sa office.) Anyway, para hindi OT, my father is a scale model builder, and he's been doing it for about 27 years. i've been involved with a couple of his works, and hindi ito madali.
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline jvedder

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »
astig scale modelling section

diecast cars talaga hobby ko kaso lumihis nung 1999 tried building tamiya kaso malaking sablay then early this year bought myself a kit sa friend ko leclerc tank by tamiya then eto na yun result still not really up to professional state pero im proud of it.. tried my luck again with cars pero panget pa din so pag cars might as well stick with diecast then i might build humvee na 1/35 scale sa sweldo

Offline Siomaiforyou

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2013, 10:37:32 AM »
Bro sa start talaga di ka ma-satisfy, marami mistakes kasi lacking pa sa technique, in the long run makuha mo rin yan and but can be a bit addicting, the key is in the painting, marami resources na rin sa net in how to paint, using spray cans or airbrush, detailing ang nagpapaganda diyan...

Offline jvedder

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »
Bro sa start talaga di ka ma-satisfy, marami mistakes kasi lacking pa sa technique, in the long run makuha mo rin yan and but can be a bit addicting, the key is in the painting, marami resources na rin sa net in how to paint, using spray cans or airbrush, detailing ang nagpapaganda diyan...

yup practice practice pero i might stick with military kits since madali lang din kumuha ng supply ng kits either sa lils or special toy center sa festival mall.. compare sa car kits  :-)

Offline Siomaiforyou

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »
Military kits mas challenging, ultimo details ng mga gasgas or dents for example sa mga tanks pde mo gawin, maganda book reference si Shepard Paine military scale modeling madami tips dun, am not sure baka may ma-download ka sa net ng pdf file. Yung ginawa mo tank pde pa i-detail yan, you can use brush and detail paints, matt black, gun metal, yun can use pastel color or chalk, madami household item sa tabi tabi mo lang jan mgamit mo, mga pencil lead na pinantasa para sa mga exhaust sa engines, dirt sa body, etc,...

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2013, 11:40:37 PM »
Good to see this thread. Just wanna share:  :-D

Battle Of St. Lo, France 1944

"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline giftmones

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2013, 11:59:13 PM »
Nice ^