hulika

Author Topic: How to develop Personal Style?  (Read 4637 times)

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: How to develop Personal Style?
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 12:05:42 PM »
hmmm....

develop your personal style? i think there are two (there probably are more) approaches-

1. listen to everything.

by increasing your musical intake you are bound to absorb things. listen, learn what you like and dont like, make it second nature, then dismantle it. its kinda like buying a second hand car, then pimping it up to make it personal. sometimes, it somes out like either like an enhanced version of that old corolla, sometimes its torn down to its bare necessities... in extreme cases it no longer resembles the car it used to be! now, that's making it personal.

the key word is PERSONAL. make it yours by making your mark on it like a cat marks its territory by pissing. its yours when you start doing things to it that may or may not have been done to it before. dont piss on your instrument. it'll stink and piss sucks tone.  :-D

2. forget about everything.

this is my favorite one. throw all that you know outside the window and let your instincts guide you. start hating EVERYTHING you love about the genre, start knit-picking on the things that you find/hear everybody to be doing the same, and eliminating it from your playing. that puts your brain in a different creative trajectory, coz you are no longer adapting or assimilating, but creating.

this makes sense, as one of music's prime goals for musicality is to find your space in the music by doing what cannot be found in it, but filling what is lacking to improve on it, or removing what shouldn't be there.  i like this approach better, but it is alot harder to nail because it is the most personal. you have to deny your musical gods and dig deeper to find the truth within.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 04:02:17 AM »
hmmm....

develop your personal style? i think there are two (there probably are more) approaches-

1. listen to everything.

+1000000 MISMO!!!

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2007, 08:46:54 AM »
hmmm....

1. listen to everything.

by increasing your musical intake you are bound to absorb things. listen, learn what you like and dont like, make it second nature, then dismantle it. its kinda like buying a second hand car, then pimping it up to make it personal. sometimes, it somes out like either like an enhanced version of that old corolla, sometimes its torn down to its bare necessities... in extreme cases it no longer resembles the car it used to be! now, that's making it personal.

the key word is PERSONAL. make it yours by making your mark on it like a cat marks its territory by pissing. its yours when you start doing things to it that may or may not have been done to it before. dont piss on your instrument. it'll stink and piss sucks tone.  :-D

this is my favorite one. throw all that you know outside the window and let your instincts guide you. start hating EVERYTHING you love about the genre, start knit-picking on the things that you find/hear everybody to be doing the same, and eliminating it from your playing. that puts your brain in a different creative trajectory, coz you are no longer adapting or assimilating, but creating.

this makes sense, as one of music's prime goals for musicality is to find your space in the music by doing what cannot be found in it, but filling what is lacking to improve on it, or removing what shouldn't be there.  i like this approach better, but it is alot harder to nail because it is the most personal. you have to deny your musical gods and dig deeper to find the truth within.
[/b]

This is my most favourite part. Same reason why I dont listen to rock music nowadays,...well, except Dave Matthews Band maybe.
Funny to know that even Lester Young, and some other Jazz greats dont even want to listen to their own recordings....they dont want to duplicate themselves!  :lol:

Thanks, man!  :-)
So Be It.

Offline EL GUAPO

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »
i remember si grassel he sounds like wes montgomery then for 8 years nag stop syang makinig ng kahit anong guitar music na developed nya yung syle nya through that process

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 02:14:08 AM »
makikisingit lang po...

just wanna say amen to psychic_sushi!!!
John 3:16

william251082

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 03:39:34 PM »
Bruce Lee used to say "Before I studied the art, a punch to me was just like a punch, a kick just like a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick no longer a kick. Now that I've understood the art, a punch is just like a punch, a kick just like a kick. The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. It is the halfway cultivation that leads to ornamentation."