hulika

Author Topic: Imagine its the 1940's....  (Read 2199 times)

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Imagine its the 1940's....
« on: November 17, 2011, 11:26:25 PM »
Where are you headed off to now?

Me,
Reading fan magazines about Gene Kelly, Clark Gable, Marlon Brando, and Fred Astaire. I waited 6 hours just to get Mr. Gable's autograph while at his movie set. Hmph! I still do think that Gene Tierney is the most beautiful woman ever. Elizabeth Taylor was wild and Debbie Reynolds was a sweetheart. Judy Garland has a beautiful voice and I love watching her show! During the night, ill probably be at that hip new joint called "Birdland", clapping along as the yardbird does his solos. And on special days, Ill go see Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and that new guy, Johnny Mathis. those crooners are smooth with the ladies. hihi! Oh and the new broadway melody is out!! Im sure it wont be better than the one Frances Langford was in.... Crap, I also heard that Dizzy Gillespie is coming to town (but who are those young guys he is with, looks foreign) ... so is Gene Krupa's bigband (konti nalang sila though). I dont want to miss both!

Tama ba timeline ko? hehehe.

Anyway, no this thread does not encourage delusional thoughts. Its a 1940's appreciation thread! :D Where the greatest music was made. :)
Med student. Bassist. Jazz fan.

View my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/beabass

Offline hatfield110

Re: Imagine its the 1940's....
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »
In a jazz perspective, Billie Holiday :D

Pero bilang isang Pilipino, parang ayoko bumalik ng 1940s.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:10:49 PM by hatfield110 »

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:46:34 AM »

Anyway, no this thread does not encourage delusional thoughts. Its a 1940's appreciation thread! :D Where the greatest music was made. :)

no no no, you have to go back by 20 years. to the golden age of those classic songwriters Gershwin, Porter, Berlin, Richard Rodgers etc. their songs become standards and as it happens they become jazz standards too.
for me anyway. George Gershwin deserves a special mention because of his glorious majestic paen to New York city - Rhapsody in blue. dont make the mistake of listening to the Deodato first.

he he. my opinion anyway. 
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
no no no, you have to go back by 20 years. to the golden age of those classic songwriters Gershwin, Porter, Berlin, Richard Rodgers etc. their songs become standards and as it happens they become jazz standards too.
for me anyway. George Gershwin deserves a special mention because of his glorious majestic paen to New York city - Rhapsody in blue. dont make the mistake of listening to the Deodato first.

he he. my opinion anyway.
Oh right, yes. Thats where it all started, from musicals and eventually became standards. Hehe! where great music was played then! (correct me if im wrong again please!) hehehe! :p

Offline trxter41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:38:53 AM »
when i think of the 40s, i think of the war. if i were already alive and of fighting age i would have been involved in the guerilla movement. or have died fighting the japs. pero i would still have loved music even then, maybe listen to the musicians of manila play jazz despite the hunger, oppression and death.

Offline ushuaia

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:27:20 PM »
maybe you should also imagine you live in new york

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
Yes. New York. I also think of 40's in the Philippines as mainly highlighted by the war. :s

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 06:03:52 AM »
Where are you headed off to now?

Me,
Reading fan magazines about Gene Kelly, Clark Gable, Marlon Brando, and Fred Astaire. I waited 6 hours just to get Mr. Gable's autograph while at his movie set. Hmph! I still do think that Gene Tierney is the most beautiful woman ever. Elizabeth Taylor was wild and Debbie Reynolds was a sweetheart. Judy Garland has a beautiful voice and I love watching her show! During the night, ill probably be at that hip new joint called "Birdland", clapping along as the yardbird does his solos. And on special days, Ill go see Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and that new guy, Johnny Mathis. those crooners are smooth with the ladies. hihi! Oh and the new broadway melody is out!! Im sure it wont be better than the one Frances Langford was in.... Crap, I also heard that Dizzy Gillespie is coming to town (but who are those young guys he is with, looks foreign) ... so is Gene Krupa's bigband (konti nalang sila though). I dont want to miss both!

Tama ba timeline ko? hehehe.

Cool thread! I love history, especially of blues, jazz, and gospel.

The 1940s was not the best time to be a recording musician. Because of the war, they (ie, the US) stopped making vinyl records in order to use shellac for other war-related stuff.  Even companies like National which made resonator guitars were diverted to war industries. No musical instruments, no recording, no records, no sales, no money.  :-)  Also, I would have missed the chance to see Robert Johnson alive (he died in '38).

Having said that, New York is indeed the place to be to watch and listen as bebop take hold thru Bud Powell, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Charlie Christian, etc.  I would also have tried to catch black gospel quartets down south.

no no no, you have to go back by 20 years. to the golden age of those classic songwriters Gershwin, Porter, Berlin, Richard Rodgers etc.

You can also go back 20 more years, the dawn of the 20th century, in New Orleans, to listen to jazz being born thru Buddy Bolden, Jelly Roll Morton, "King" Oliver, etc. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:04:57 AM by deltaslim »

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »
where would i be... chrysler building hehhehe
MAKE ME SICK I MAKE MUSIC