hulika

Author Topic: Is there such thing as "Pinoy Jazz" ...  (Read 8705 times)

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Is there such thing as "Pinoy Jazz" ...
« on: January 29, 2007, 06:58:26 PM »
...similar to Latin Jazz, or its just Filipino musicians who are into Jazz? :roll:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:55:45 PM by Bammbamm »
So Be It.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: As there such thing as "Pinoy Jazz" ...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »
In terms of players siguro may Pinoy Jazz nga. I dunno abou the style, though. Haluan kaya natin ng Philippine Ethnic Music? World/Fusion na siguro. I'm just guessing here...  :-)
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 08:21:40 AM »
Yup, I have a CD called "Pinoy Jazz" .... by Eddie Munji III.

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:31:10 AM »
meron! its jazz played by pinoys. 8-)

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 09:43:52 AM »
Speaking for myself, i've always shied away from that term, "Pinoy Jazz".

At the very least, i dislike its use to describe what i do. What i do is jazz, period. Not "Black Jazz", not "White Jazz", not "American Jazz", not "Pinoy Jazz". Just Jazz. Period.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:23:35 PM »
Yup, I have a CD called "Pinoy Jazz" .... by Eddie Munji III.

Wow, Ilaw!

Sir, saan po ako pwede makabili nyang album na yan?

Salamat! :-)
So Be It.

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 08:29:29 PM »
In terms of players siguro may Pinoy Jazz nga. I dunno abou the style, though. Haluan kaya natin ng Philippine Ethnic Music? World/Fusion na siguro. I'm just guessing here...  :-)

:-D....sabi nga sa isang TV commercial "Ang batang nagtatanong ay nag iisip"

..parang alam ko na kung bakit ganun na lang ang mga expression ng mukha nila Coltrane at Miles sa mga photos nila :roll:
So Be It.

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Is there such thing as "Pinoy Jazz" ...
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 01:01:25 AM »
Bammbamm, I'm not really sure if the Eddie Munji album is still available because its original label (JEM Records) folded up a long time ago - however it may just be possible that the album was re-packaged and re-released by Telesis Records (distributed under Ivory).  Pakitanong na nga lang sa mga Ivory sales-gels sa inyong paboritong record shops.

Munji's Pinoy Jazz and Ryan Cayabyab's Roots to Routes (later repackaged with a much more imaginative cover title - Pinoy Jazz 2 :-() were then considered as the two local albums which dared explore the jazz realm.  Actually both albums picked various folk songs, kundimans, oyayi's, etc and rearranged them with a much more contemporary, jazzier feel.  I can still remember Mr. C's rendition of the children's rhyme, Telebong, which was met with raised eyebrows by the music community largely because of its strange similarity with Weather Report's Birdland (though you may think of it as interesting).

Guess that's it.  If you define Pinoy Jazz as indigenous music adapted to a jazzier feel, then there you have it.  But if you are looking for that distinctive sound which probably evolved from our ethnic and foreign influences combined, I'm not sure.  Actually have we already found a truly Pinoy Pop sound?   

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 05:02:58 AM »
jazz.......

The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 08:18:44 PM »
..parang alam ko na kung bakit ganun na lang ang mga expression ng mukha nila Coltrane at Miles sa mga photos nila :roll:

Bakit naman, bro?  :-D

On the labeling, for some people who have a certain degree of intimacy as to the roots of the musical form jazz we cannot claim it as our own. Songs made by our countrymen may be "jazzy" or "poppy" but at least the song was made by them. They have ownership over the composition but not on the musical form.

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 07:31:51 PM »
Bammbamm, I'm not really sure if the Eddie Munji album is still available because its original label (JEM Records) folded up a long time ago - however it may just be possible that the album was re-packaged and re-released by Telesis Records (distributed under Ivory).  Pakitanong na nga lang sa mga Ivory sales-gels sa inyong paboritong record shops.

Munji's Pinoy Jazz and Ryan Cayabyab's Roots to Routes (later repackaged with a much more imaginative cover title - Pinoy Jazz 2 :-() were then considered as the two local albums which dared explore the jazz realm.  Actually both albums picked various folk songs, kundimans, oyayi's, etc and rearranged them with a much more contemporary, jazzier feel.  I can still remember Mr. C's rendition of the children's rhyme, Telebong, which was met with raised eyebrows by the music community largely because of its strange similarity with Weather Report's Birdland (though you may think of it as interesting).

Guess that's it.  If you define Pinoy Jazz as indigenous music adapted to a jazzier feel, then there you have it.  But if you are looking for that distinctive sound which probably evolved from our ethnic and foreign influences combined, I'm not sure.  Actually have we already found a truly Pinoy Pop sound?   

Thanks for your reply,sir! Hanapin ko na lang yan sa mga record store :-)
So Be It.

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 07:41:20 PM »

Bakit naman, bro?  :-D

Beacause they make the viewer wonder talaga kung ano ang iniisip nila. ..Maybe they are hearing something from the inside ... a particular tone, sound, rhythm?..i dont know yet, but they they sure are 'thinking' diba? :|

So Be It.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 07:59:56 PM »
Beacause they make the viewer wonder talaga kung ano ang iniisip nila. ..Maybe they are hearing something from the inside ... a particular tone, sound, rhythm?..i dont know yet, but they they sure are 'thinking' diba? :|

Honga, gara 'no? Lalo na yung pics ni Miles, it's as if he's looking inside your head or something.  :-o
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 08:05:21 PM by frogfunk »

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 11:47:13 AM »
"For the many of you who might be wondering what Pinoy Jazz is all about, the answers to that question can be found in many different items on our website, a few examples of which are as follows"   Angel Pena

this link will take you to another website, where some of your questions might be answered.

http://www.jazzsociety.ph/html/aboutus.htm

mods : if inappropriate, please delete na lang.l

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
Anyone remembers the late Bobby "The Wildman from Mindanao" Enriquez?

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 01:32:51 PM »
the wildman was on par with those jazz musicians sa states, and also with those "jazz festivals" sa europe and other countries...

saw him a couple of times at "uncle bob" stewarts's tv show sa ch 7.  but the best video recording i've seen was in the late 80's where in Ritchie Cole was the featured artist and bobby e. was the pianist. grabe hinde siya papatalo.

dami rin natin "unknown's" dito.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 03:46:45 PM »
Yup. The Wildman had various records with American musicians during his time.  Actually the guy is from Iloilo (which Americans couldn't pronounce at first glance so since they found out it was south of the Philippines, they gave him the monicker Wildman from Mindanao.  I still tremember his version of Sweet Georgia Brown over at the now defunct Citilite 88.3.

I had the honor of being part of the production of his one and only local album.  It was recorded around 1990 at Cinema Audio in Mandaluyong with Bobby Gonzales ond drums and Colby de la Calzada on bass.  They did various jazz renditions of local standards (Dahil Sa Iyo) - but in the usual fiery Wildman style.  You may want to check out Ivory Records for any available copies.

The Wildman was an amazing piano player.  And he had attitude the size of the RCBC tower.  Which I think was alright because I'm sure he had to deal with all the putdowns and the dissing from the foreign press and the foreign jazz players.  Besides, magaling naman talaga e.

I also remember his nationalism.  He insists on trying his luck at politics because he has the solution DAW to end poverty in the country.  If he was alive today, I'd bet kasama na niya si Richard Gomez na nangangampaniya na ngayon.

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 11:58:42 PM »
Yeah, the irony of it all was that at the height of the Pinoy Jazz genre, Bobby's name wasn't even mentioned with the likes of sina Ryan C., Boy Katindig, Eddie Munji III, etc., etc., yet by that time Bobby was already making a name for himself abroad.  I think it was only towards the tail end of the PJ era that Bobby's name was getting local media exposure.  I first heard of Bobby's name from a very unlikely source - my parents!  During the 70s, ermats/erpats talked about this very good Ilonggo piano player who in the 60s roamed the bars and restaurants on what was then Dewey Boulevard.  It was only when I lived in NYC in the early 90s that I got to know the depth of Bobby's solo and collaborative material.  I brought a couple of disks back home and had ermats listen to them.  She was in awe in how far Bob had gone from those Dewey days.

I saw Bobby play in Manila during the mid 80s.  I think this was the first of his many trips back home after being away for so long.  Tama ka Kedjo - Bobby had anggas, pero may K.  The nice thing I liked about him was he knew his roots, and in fact thanked the old fogeys who were backing him up (I can't remember their names, but they were the maestros who Bobby played with during the 60s).  He really was one nationalistic dude, giving props to the Pinoy musician as being one of the best in the world.  He even made fun of the way he spoke English which still had a slight Ilonggo accent trying to make itself heard.  As always, he was making fun of his "ka-karag-karag" session guys, their get-up, and their thinning tops.  The highlight of that concert was when someone in the audience requested "Take Five".  Everyone looked at one another, gave each other this blank look, and eventually smiled.  Bobby then tapped out the familiar first few bars of that Dave Brubeck/Paul Desmond classic, and all hell then broke loose.  The interesting thing about that jam was it slithered seamlessly into the theme from Mission Impossible, and another ditty the title of which I forget, before morphing back to Take Five.  Galing talaga, I wouldn't be surprised if that jam was something concocted during the Dewey Boulevard days and had been hibernating for a good twenty years.

Too bad he's not with us right now.  I hope the likes of Boy Katindig, Bong Panera, Maestro Perf and the other top-rate overseas Pinoy musicians of every genre keep Bobby's legacy alive.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 11:20:32 PM by Jaco D »

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 01:13:05 AM »
Nice post, Jaco D .. :-)

Very picturesque .. and nostalgic too..
"No static at all ..."

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 05:36:05 AM »
i imagine pinoy jazz as a group of negritos playing jazz onstage. no seriously i think pinoy jazz would be really identified if there is a very distinctive pinoy flavor incorporated into the genre.
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 11:03:15 PM »
Ayun, I finally remembered the title of his album recorded locally ---

NATIVE 220

It's a good album with pretty good recording quality (digital recording under Dindo Aldecoa, Cinema Audio).

Paging IVORY RECORDS... gawin niyo namang available ito.'

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 02:18:17 AM »
Speaking of "The Wildman from Mindanao" (well actually he was from Bacolod) there are a number of Bobby Enriquez clips on YouTube. The ones from the Philippines are pretty bad quality, like they were transferred from a fourth generation betamax, but the ones recorded at the Village Vanguard in NYC with Richie Cole's Quintet are very good.

Here's their take on Charlie Parker's "Yardbird Suite":
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »
Nice one sir Jim. Thanks! :-)
So Be It.

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 11:55:05 PM »
si Bob Aves laging unang pumapasok sa isip ko pag sinabing 'Pinoy Jazz'.

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 09:20:09 AM »
Speaking for myself, i've always shied away from that term, "Pinoy Jazz".

At the very least, i dislike its use to describe what i do. What i do is jazz, period. Not "Black Jazz", not "White Jazz", not "American Jazz", not "Pinoy Jazz". Just Jazz. Period.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:23:11 AM by blackwingchai »
MAKE ME SICK I MAKE MUSIC