hulika

Author Topic: Ibanez guitar users thread  (Read 3460073 times)

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ibanez guitar users thread
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2006, 11:27:08 PM »
Quote from: Machine_Head
Thanks for the info. I'll look into this as my next upgrade. Either this or a new set of machineheads.

cool.

you won't regret you made the upgrade.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2006, 11:36:24 PM »
Hope so. Coz 600 bucks for just the ne\ut is quite steep. But before that, i have to get my Ibby properly intonated first...

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2006, 11:41:46 PM »
bone would be powdery (and they say, can be odorous when you cut it)

do you know the smell of your own teeth while being drilled by a dentist? ganun. hehehe.

unless you can a good lubricant, i can't recommend bone for trem-equipped guitars (unless you don't use the thing). something like slipstone would be a better choice if the nut has to be white.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2006, 11:46:43 PM »
My nut is black (this is starting to sound funny.. :D ) so i guess graphite would be better choice. Kaw sir al, did you have your nut changed?

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2006, 12:01:47 AM »
My nut is black (this is starting to sound funny.. :D ) so i guess graphite would be better choice. Kaw sir al, did you have your nut changed?

WAHAHAHA!!! that did sound funny!

go GRAPHTEC!!!

as they say, "once you go black, there's no turning back" :)

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2006, 12:22:10 AM »
What the?!?! Hehehe... Enough talk about our nuts. :D

So do you think its better to change the nut first or the machineheads? I do a lot of crazy bends and it sometimes can throw my guitar out of tune. The ones on my guitar feels cheap...

Quote from: fretburner

WAHAHAHA!!! that did sound funny!

go GRAPHTEC!!!

as they say, "once you go black, there's no turning back" :)

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2006, 12:24:24 AM »
What the?!?! Hehehe... Enough talk about our nuts. :D

So do you think its better to change the nut first or the machineheads? I do a lot of crazy bends and it sometimes can throw my guitar out of tune. The ones on my guitar feels cheap...

change em tuners first...no doubt. i was assuming your tuners can still hold it in tune but just wanna upgrade something like locking tuners.

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2006, 12:33:36 AM »
Can you recommend any tuners? Where to source them locally?

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2006, 12:43:24 AM »
Gotoh, Grover, Schaller and Sperzel all make fine locking tuners.

I bought Grover tuners because they had the cheapest locking tuners I could find. 6-inline Schallers are available both in Audiophile and Yupangco, though. Mahal nga lang on both shops (well over 4k now, most likely).
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2006, 12:45:12 AM »
Can you recommend any tuners? Where to source them locally?

i don't know where to source them locally... maybe there are schaller parts at yupangco... or gotoh allparts in audiophile.

people are raving about sperzels, but you can't find them locally.

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2006, 12:49:58 AM »
4k for a set??? Ouch!!! Will it help keep me in tune even i do a lot of bending? I wonder if i can get a good if i get 'em from ebay or somewhere...

Quote from: Al_Librero

I bought Grover tuners because they had the cheapest locking tuners I could find. 6-inline Schallers are available both in Audiophile and Yupangco, though. Mahal nga lang on both shops (well over 4k now, most likely).

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2006, 01:07:37 AM »
4k for a set??? Ouch!!! Will it help keep me in tune even i do a lot of bending? I wonder if i can get a good if i get 'em from ebay or somewhere...

Quote from: Al_Librero

outside the tuners, there are other factors to consider... your bridge, nut, and the way you wind your strings on those pegs.

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2006, 01:17:51 AM »
The bridge, nut, and winding of strings are done by a luthier. Besides goin out of tune when i do huge bends, my guitar's intonation is in a bad shape. I coudnt do chords past the 8th fret. Im gonna have it re-intonated again by the luthier since it supposedly under warranty. Sayang yung tone ng guitar. I havent tried a $200+ guitar yet but mine sounds really good. I feel that investing on better tuners, nuts etc is worth it. But i dont think i wanna change the pups for now, i think they sound good as it is.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2006, 01:56:31 AM »
The bridge, nut, and winding of strings are done by a luthier. Besides goin out of tune when i do huge bends, my guitar's intonation is in a bad shape. I coudnt do chords past the 8th fret. Im gonna have it re-intonated again by the luthier since it supposedly under warranty. Sayang yung tone ng guitar. I havent tried a $200+ guitar yet but mine sounds really good. I feel that investing on better tuners, nuts etc is worth it. But i dont think i wanna change the pups for now, i think they sound good as it is.

if you can't stay in tune on the 8th fret, it's not your intonation...intonation only applies from the 12th fret up...it might be your strings, frets and/or neck.

the bridge will stay in tune if it's of good quality... for example, a korean strat would have a cheap trem and would be out of tune after a song, whereas an american std strat's bridge would stay in tune a lot longer... it's on the materials and construction...

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2006, 09:18:21 AM »
Quote from: fretburner
How much did it cost to change the nut? How does it improve your tuning stability?

bone and graphite are "self-lubricating" nuts (think: roller nuts)... bone and graphite alsom are very hard/stiff materials allowing your strings to vibrate more freely, hence better tone (and maybe even sustain).

the nut cost me more than 600 php... i cant remember how much i paid for the installation.

thanks sir for that info. mine though is that i didn't have much time comparing the improvement in the tone over the deer bone against the plastic nut.

hehe.. color doesn't matter to me. the previous plastic nut was black the the replaced bone nut was "dirty" white. as long as it sounds "sweet" thats it. and its really hard. presented to me a sample cut of a deer bone... very stiff and not brittle. it has that amount of mass over the plastic one.
Not unto us, but to YOUR name give all honour.
Ps 115.:1

Offline ericbaquiran

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2006, 05:01:05 PM »
One of my Ibanez guitars (the SV470) has GOTOH locking tuners but it suffered from the G string going out of tune easily (before I had it setup by Jun Castro).  He replaced the black plastic nut with deerbone too.  Now it stays in tune much better+sustains better on open strings.

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2006, 04:17:47 PM »
hhhmmm. ive noticed that one too which i didn't experience on my fender. there is indeed a tuning stability improvement on my SZ. :D
Not unto us, but to YOUR name give all honour.
Ps 115.:1

Offline vinCe-uv7bk

« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2006, 01:52:30 AM »
havnt postd in awhile.. to the new owner of the ibanez talman great to see you like it :mrgreen: well im having a custom built ibanez for me currntly still in progress.... hay tagal  :lol:

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2006, 11:00:05 AM »
Quote from: vinCe-uv7bk
havnt postd in awhile.. to the new owner of the ibanez talman great to see you like it :mrgreen: well im having a custom built ibanez for me currntly still in progress.... hay tagal  :lol:

Like it? I love it! It has a really sweet, hollowy tone. I love the middle setting for doin clean and the 1st position is good for overdriven sound. I had to change the volume pot and pup switch though.

Btw, did you know that you cant find this exact guitar on the Ibanez catalog? Guitar Center commissioned Ibanez to make this guitar. Besides the headstock matching the color of the body, it has an upgraded P-90s found in the TC820. Where and when did you exactly get this? Im just curious, you can pm me. :)

All i need now is to have it intonated, the neck could be warped or something.

So how's your custom guitar doin? When is it gonna be finished?

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2006, 12:15:58 AM »
Sam, pogi na nung RG550 mo ah!!

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2006, 08:34:54 AM »
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn
Sam, pogi na nung RG550 mo ah!!

dumating na ba sayo yung pickups? ayaw ko pa nga sana post pics nito hanggang di mo pa nakuha yung binili mo sakin  :wink:

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2006, 02:45:55 PM »
"self-lubricating nuts"  :lol:

i WAS an owner of the ibby af75, yung jazz guitar (full hollow) na hawig nung kay benson.

really good jazz tone and really good overdriven tones. the farthest you could go, however, is blues overdriven sounds. di pede ang mala-dimebag. OF COURSE. hehehe. nakakatawa nga lang, kasi ginamitan ko talaga sha dati ng disto na medyo mabigat. ayun, puro feedback.

...kaya nagpalit ako ng gitara. hehehe. pero wat struck me the most was the build and the finish of the guitar. sobra. it was sort of a "poor man's benedetto" or sumthn.  :lol:

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2006, 09:25:03 AM »
Quote from: zasam_4

Floyd Rose Pro (ayoko ng Edge 3, TRS tsaka yung ibang Korean floyds)

Bakit naman sir? ano bang difference ng mga floyds nila?